Tap-to-focus API automatically flashes (when mode is on/auto) on Pixel 3A (Android 12 Beta 5)

Assigned to scot...@google.com by wuj...@google.com

Mohit Shetty

Oct 11, 2021, 1:47:47 PM10/11/21
to Android CameraX Discussion Group
One of our users is facing a really unexpected and weird issue while trying to tap-to-focus in our camera app. It seems to be a device specific issue (Pixel 3A [Android 12 Beta 5]).

Basically what happens is that whenever the user tries to focus, the flash automatically triggers on the user's device for a while and then gets shut (as if it were taking a photo), but it doesn't really because that isn't what the code is supposed to do. Till now we have only seen this issue in the device and ROM specified and nowhere else.

The below video is a screen recording of the device when the issue occurs:
Untitled.mp4

Scott Nien

Oct 12, 2021, 12:22:05 PM10/12/21
to Mohit Shetty, Android CameraX Discussion Group
Thanks for reporting the issue. I can reproduce it on Pixel 3A XL.  and the issue will happen when the environment is dark.
We will investigate further and keep you posted.

BTW.
I found that you misuse the SurfaceOrientedMeteringPointFactory.
You should use previewView.meteringPointFactory directly. SurfaceOrientedMeteringPointFactory is used for creating metering points from a Surface coordinate. For example,  creating a point from a Yuv Image retrieved in ImageAnalysis..

Mohit Shetty

Oct 14, 2021, 5:05:49 AM10/14/21
to Android CameraX Discussion Group, Scott Nien, Android CameraX Discussion Group, Mohit Shetty
Oh, my bad, I'll fix that issue related to meteringPointFactory soon!

Thanks a lot for considering and investigating the reported issue.

Regards,
Mohit

Scott Nien

Nov 3, 2021, 10:49:04 AM11/3/21
to Mohit Shetty, Android CameraX Discussion Group
Hi Mohit,
Thanks for reporting it. Turns out the issue happens in many other devices.  The issue was just fixed at aosp/1878257.
It should be contained in next 1.1 alpha release.

Scott

Mohit Shetty

Nov 3, 2021, 2:46:13 PM11/3/21
to Android CameraX Discussion Group, Scott Nien, Android CameraX Discussion Group, Mohit Shetty
Thanks a lot for resolving this issue Scott!

Regards,
Mohit