CameraX Exif problem

Alexander Mikhalevich

Oct 2, 2019, 4:15:08 PM10/2/19
to Android CameraX Discussion Group
Hi guys. Thanks for a great library first of all.

Just want to let you know that most apps doesn't honour Exif.

A picture taken from CameraX sample with LensFacing.Front is displayed incorrectly in every app on my phone: One Plus 5, Android 9.0 (OxygenOS 9.0.8)

Here are couple of exmples:

Selfie 3.jpg

Vinit Modi

Oct 3, 2019, 5:18:27 PM10/3/19
to Alexander Mikhalevich, Android CameraX Discussion Group
Hi Alexander,

Thanks for raising this; we are aware of this and figuring out how to best support this. Some options we are looking at are:
  • Adding support for JPEG_ORIENTATION key from camera2
  • Library that 3P apps can incorporate however it depends on app adoption
Will keep you posted on a timeline. For the time being we'll continue recommending to apps to look at EXIF when determining rotation. Thanks!

Vinit