Galaxy S20 wide-angle camera by default

Assigned to tonyt...@google.com by wuj...@google.com

Alexander Popov

Jan 20, 2021, 10:25:33 AM1/20/21
to Android CameraX Discussion Group
Hello CameraX Development Team!

A user of my CameraX app reported that he has a wide-angle camera by default on his Samsung Galaxy S20.
The app is using CameraCore 1.0.0-beta08 and CameraView 1.0.0-alpha15

So I have two questions:
1. Is it an issue?
2. Can I switch between back cameras?

tonyt...@google.com

Jan 21, 2021, 10:51:11 PM1/21/21
to Android CameraX Discussion Group, ale...@nsysgroup.com
Hi, thanks for the questions. Replied inline below.

On Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at 11:25:33 PM UTC+8 ale...@nsysgroup.com wrote:
Hello CameraX Development Team!

A user of my CameraX app reported that he has a wide-angle camera by default on his Samsung Galaxy S20.
The app is using CameraCore 1.0.0-beta08 and CameraView 1.0.0-alpha15

So I have two questions:
1. Is it an issue?
There's a standard wide-angle and an ultra-wide on S20. If you mean it selects the ultra-wide, it's probably an issue. Another possibility is that S20 actually puts the ultra-wide at the front of the camera list, which is unlikely I think. Would you update the library and see if it still happens?
2. Can I switch between back cameras?
Now we have experimental Camera2CameraFilter which can be used to implement CameraInfo (or CameraCharacteristics qureied with Camera2CameraInfo) requirements when selecting camera.

Alexander Popov

Jan 22, 2021, 4:05:31 AM1/22/21
to Android CameraX Discussion Group, tonyt...@google.com, Alexander Popov
> Would you update the library and see if it still happens?

Sadly, I don't have access to this device and can't update library right now because I'm waiting for fixing this issue:
I assume it probably will be fixed in next release candidate.

Now we have experimental Camera2CameraFilter

Thanks! I'll check this feature.

lechium06

Mar 29, 2021, 11:25:12 AM3/29/21
to Android CameraX Discussion Group, ale...@nsysgroup.com, tonyt...@google.com
Hi team,
I can confirm that this also happens with S21 Ultra (camerax chooses ultra-wide lens by default).
Also, I kind of expected to use the ZoomRatio parameter to switch the cameras. The phone has API level 30, and according to the sources, the ZoomRatio param should combine both optical and digital zoom, which it doesn't.

Is there a way to switch cameras without fiddling with a *CameraFilter (so there's no need to rebind usecases) and without directly interfering with `Camera2CameraControl`'s  `CaptureRequest.LENS_FOCAL_LENGTH`?

tonyt...@google.com

Mar 29, 2021, 12:27:47 PM3/29/21
to Android CameraX Discussion Group, lechium06, ale...@nsysgroup.com, tonyt...@google.com, Scott Nien
Hello,
Thanks for raising this up. Could you help to check what camera ID it chooses on S21 Ultra? You may call Camera2CameraInfo.from(camera.getCameraInfo()).getCameraId to get the ID.
And for the question about ZoomRatio, do you mean it doesn't switch to different lens no matter what ZoomRatio set?

Hi Scott,
Do you happen to know whether S21 support logical camera or not?

Scott Nien

Mar 30, 2021, 12:36:26 AM3/30/21
to tonyt...@google.com, Android CameraX Discussion Group, lechium06, ale...@nsysgroup.com
Samsung doesn't support logical multi-camera yet.
And for CameraX zoomRatio to combine optical/digital zoom,  the device must support  logical multi-camera AND OEMs need to implement CONTROL_ZOOM_RATIO to use optical zoom. As for now, only Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G are capable of doing this.