Base environment auto-activation issue; cannot launch Jupyter, etc from Navigator

Chelsea Faber

Jul 9, 2021, 8:38:00 PM7/9/21
to Anaconda - Public
Hi all!
I think I've tried everything I can think of to resolve this issue and am still getting nowhere - preface to say I'm a novice.

I'm trying to simply install and validate Anaconda to run Python through Jupyter notebooks. Nothing crazy. I did pretty standard installation, but I did check the box to add Anaconda to my PATH environmental variable, per the suggestion of the Udemy course I'm taking.

When I open up the Navigator, the screen looks like this:

Screenshot 2021-07-09 164800.png

Weirdly, if I go to the Environments and click "Update Index" and navigate back to the home page, the issue is resolved and I can launch things normally.

However, I'm not satisifed with this workaround, because I'm running into issues getting other software that operates through Anaconda to work properly, as it appears it is not auto-activating the base environment - I have to do it manually in the command line every time I want to run anything. This I can tell because if I go to the command line and type in python, I get the following warning:

C:\Users\cfaber>python
Python 3.8.8 (default, Apr 13 2021, 15:08:03) [MSC v.1916 64 bit (AMD64)] :: Anaconda, Inc. on win32

Warning:
This Python interpreter is in a conda environment, but the environment has
not been activated.  Libraries may fail to load.  To activate this environment

I confirmed that it is SET to auto-activate here:

(base) C:\Users\cfaber>conda config --get
--set auto_activate_base True
--add channels 'defaults'   # lowest priority

But it clearly is not working. Any and all suggestions are very welcome, I'm at a total loss here and way over my head with computing - not my forte.

PLEASE and thank you!
-Chelsea

Martin Kaspar

Jul 10, 2021, 8:24:51 AM7/10/21
to anac...@continuum.io
hi there

many many thanks for contacting us.

weird things - very weird . i struggle with exactly the same issues.

any idea -

look forward to hear from you

cheers
martin

--
Community Discussion Forum for Anaconda
---

   gplus_Seiten_Signatur

image002.png
image004.png

Ruben Schönenberger

Oct 7, 2021, 5:46:16 AM10/7/21
to Anaconda - Public, Martin Kaspar
Are there any updates on this matter? I'm running into the same issue with one of my two notebooks (not with the other).