Installation of Anaconda3 (distribution) on Windows 8.1 fails and "stucks" my PC

Carlo Frischi

Jun 29, 2022, 5:23:08 AM6/29/22
to Anaconda - Public
I downloaded (1 week ago) Anaconda Distribution "Anaconda3-2022.05-Windows-x86_64.exe" and tried to install on a PC ASUS model N76VZ, Intel Core i7-3630QM 64-bits CPU, MS-Windows 8.1.

After extracting all files, installation stops at "Setting Base Environment" stage. Even worst: the screen freezes, cursor stops, mouse and keyboard stops. Switch-off button does not work, the only way to restart is to remove power.

I've made number of checks and tests to solve/understand what happens:

- tried to remove all files and reinstall. I have tried all installing options: "just me/all users", chosen different locations for "anaconda3" folder

- created a new user (admin and normal) on the PC and launched installation from such login

- restored Windows at a safe state (set before starting anaconda installation)

- tried to install Miniconda instead

- tracked events (Windows event viewer): once the PC restarted (by removing power) just found a msg telling that "computer restarted after power off"

Finally, nothing succeeded. Every attempt fails : the PC always stucks at "Setting Base Environment" stage.

I was not able to find anything on the web about this trouble, nor on this forum. Maybe someone could tell me what happens and/or has a solution ?

Thank you in advance