Support Amherst Media this week!

Charles Schweik

Sep 20, 2015, 1:38:21 PM9/20/15
to mak...@amherstmedia.org
Hi Makers@AmherstMedia,

This is coming not from an Amherst Media employee, but from me, a town citizen who appreciates what Amherst Media does for our community.

FYI, there is an important town meeting this Thursday at 6:30 in the Town Room in the Town Hall where people can speak up or show support for what Amherst Media does.

Consider coming to the town meeting, or at least writing a letter to the town manager's office. More information is on the link above.

Thanks for your consideration,

Charlie

--
Charlie Schweik

Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and Administration

Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012) - see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545

Q: Why do I try my best to keep my emails to five sentences or less?

Alexander Schreyer

Sep 20, 2015, 8:17:55 PM9/20/15
to mak...@amherstmedia.org

Supporting the Amherst Media group is a very important cause to take up. You guys have my full support! Along those lines, however:

The requests on your website are still very cable-focused. We for one are certainly a cable-cutting household and I am wondering if there is a vision “beyond cable”? I see a note on your site about Access 360, which seems to be going in that direction but there’s not much info in the post.

For example, I see as more important than getting an HD channel the question whether Amherst Media content could be included in the XFINITY player (on web and devices). Wouldn’t it be great to browse all kinds of local content next to where you find movies.

Cheers,

Alex

  alexander c. schreyer, m.a.sc., dipl.-ing.

  program director [building and construction technology],
  senior lecturer, university of massachusetts
  author of “architectural design with sketchup”
  structural engineer [wood structures] / bauingenieur [holzbau]

  web > alexschreyer.net

  umass > bct.eco.umass.edu

  voicemail > +1 (413) 545-1976

  availability > alexschreyer.youcanbook.me

  connect > linkedin.com/in/alexschreyer

Jim Lescault

Sep 21, 2015, 11:48:36 AM9/21/15
to mak...@amherstmedia.org
Hi Makers@Amherst Media,

I want to thank Alex for his identification of one of the very important issues that should be testified to during the Cable/Comcast hearings:  the community should be requesting/demanding that Comcast/XFINITY carries our shows via their “Video On Demand”  (VOD).  Of course the recommendation that we also request/demand that the connectivity be IP based will enable quicker downloading and higher quality viewing.

I thank Charlie for circulating the information about the hearings and hope to either see you there or read your written testimony or both.

Jim Lescault

Get Apple Certified @ Amherst Media - amherstmedia.org/apple

Steven D. Brewer

Sep 21, 2015, 12:57:42 PM9/21/15
to mak...@amherstmedia.org
It's also worth clarifying that the franchise agreement only covers
"cable" because that's the way the legal framework that covers
public-access television is written. In the long run, we need to work on
a political solution to ensure that access centers remain funded as the
technology moves toward broadband, streaming, and unicast models.

If you're curious, wikipedia has a nice history and summary of the issues:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-access_television

On 9/21/15 11:48 AM, Jim Lescault wrote:
> Hi Makers@Amherst Media,
>
> I want to thank Alex for his identification of one of the very important
> issues that should be testified to during the Cable/Comcast hearings:
> the community should be requesting/demanding that Comcast/XFINITY
> carries our shows via their “Video On Demand” (VOD). Of course the
> recommendation that we also request/demand that the connectivity be IP
> based will enable quicker downloading and higher quality viewing.
>
> I thank Charlie for circulating the information about the hearings and
> hope to either see you there or read your written testimony or both.
>
> Jim Lescault
> dire...@amherstmedia.org <mailto:dire...@amherstmedia.org>
>
> Get Apple Certified @ Amherst Media - amherstmedia.org/apple
> <http://amherstmedia.org/apple>
> On Sep 20, 2015, at 8:17 PM, Alexander Schreyer <schr...@umass.edu
> <mailto:schr...@umass.edu>> wrote:
>
>> Supporting the Amherst Media group is a very important cause to take
>> up. You guys have my full support! Along those lines, however:
>>
>> The requests on your website are still very cable-focused. We for one
>> are certainly a cable-cutting household and I am wondering if there is
>> a vision “beyond cable”? I see a note on your site about Access 360,
>> which seems to be going in that direction but there’s not much info in
>> the post.
>>
>> For example, I see as more important than getting an HD channel the
>> question whether Amherst Media content could be included in the
>> XFINITY player (on web and devices). Wouldn’t it be great to browse
>> all kinds of local content next to where you find movies.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alex
>>
>> *alexander c. schreyer*, m.a.sc., dipl.-ing.
>>
>> *program director* [building and construction technology],
>> *senior lecturer*, university of massachusetts
>> *author* of “architectural design with sketchup”
>> *structural engineer* [wood structures] / *bauingenieur* [holzbau]
>>
>> web > alexschreyer.net <http://www.alexschreyer.net/>
>> umass > bct.eco.umass.edu <http://bct.eco.umass.edu/>
>> voicemail > +1 (413) 545-1976
>> availability > alexschreyer.youcanbook.me
>> <https://alexschreyer.youcanbook.me/>
>> connect > linkedin.com/in/alexschreyer
>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexschreyer>

Steven D. Brewer

Sep 22, 2015, 4:38:54 PM9/22/15
to mak...@amherstmedia.org
On 9/20/15 8:17 PM, Alexander Schreyer wrote:
> The requests on your website are still very cable-focused. We for one
> are certainly a cable-cutting household and I am wondering if there is a
> vision “beyond cable”?

The franchise agreement the town makes with Comcast is in relation to
cable television service. As an organization, we have certainly been
talking about "beyond cable" from a strategic sense, but to engage in a
conversation with Comcast about it will probably require changes to the
legislation that governs how franchising works.

--
Steven D. BREWER <sbr...@bio.umass.edu>
http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/about/directories/faculty/steven-d-brewer

Alexander Schreyer