WebJunction Content & Upcoming Webinars

mars...@library.ohio.gov

Jan 20, 2023, 4:26:54 PM1/20/23
to ALAO (list@alaoweb.org)

WebJunction builds the knowledge, skills and confidence of library staff to power strong libraries that are the heart of vibrant communities. A program of OCLC Research, WebJunction is free and welcome to all libraries to use, regardless of size, type or location.

Highlighted Content

  • Expanding Collections with a Library of Things: The Library of Things model has grown in popularity and expanded on the types of items that libraries keep in their collections and check out to the community. We were pleased to host the webinar, Library of Things: The What, Why, and How of Lending Objects, with two librarians who shared strategies and inspiration for creating a Library of Things. Some of the highlights, tips, and resources from the session are captured in this webinar recap.
  • How to Host a Human Library: This global learning experience was created in 2000 to facilitate dialogue between community members with unique experiences who might not otherwise cross paths. Volunteers with a variety of lived experiences offer to share their time and stories, which often include challenges such as confronting stigma and discrimination. Visitors to a Human Library event can choose from a selection of topics, "check out" their human book, and then have a conversation, typically lasting from 30 minutes to one hour. Your library can organize and host a Human Library event and bring your community together to have enlightening conversations.
  • Libraries & Veterans National Forum Toolkit: Veterans, military service members, and their families are among users of virtually every library across the country. Indeed, libraries play a significant role in supporting veterans and military-affiliated patrons by welcoming them to the community, providing resources during transitions, connecting them with other veterans, and even simply recognizing their service. Although many libraries already engage their veteran and military-affiliated patrons, others are just getting started. The Libraries & Veterans Toolkit can help!

WebJunction Webinars for You

These upcoming webinars are open for registration. If you can’t attend a live session, all WebJunction webinars are recorded and available for free in the Course Catalog.

Science Literacy: It’s Not Just for Kids

Tuesday, January 24, 2023 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/science-literacy-not-just-for-kids.html

While libraries have enthusiastically met the challenge to positively influence kids’ and teens’ attitudes, skills, and knowledge about STEM topics, adult-centered science programs are scarce in libraries. Youth have access to many creative, engaging, hands-on programs that use informal learning to develop exploration, experimentation, and computational thinking. But why are kids having all the fun (and skill enrichment)? As citizens and voters, adults are asked to make decisions that increasingly involve complex science. Join this webinar to learn about programs that make adult science learning fun and enticing, and that get people involved in investigating their environment. Join the conversation about expanding adult learning to include identifying environmental issues, applying science-based strategies, and working together to find solutions and take action for their communities.

Native Stories, Native Peoples: Opportunities for Library Engagement

Wednesday, February 15, 2023 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/native-stories-native-peoples.html

The history and current experiences of Indigenous peoples and Tribal Nations are complex, rich and diverse. Libraries can play an important role in counteracting damaging myths and narratives about Native peoples, as well as exploring contemporary struggles and joys. This webinar will highlight opportunities for libraries to connect their communities to accurate and respectful information, fostering understanding and support of Indigenous peoples past and present. Resources for learning about treaties, Tribal Nations and lands, as well as insights into the experiences of Native communities today will also be shared. With a better understanding of these distinctive histories and cultures, library staff can promote learning and knowledge, support engagement with Native issues and peoples, and better serve all individuals in their community.

###

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney, Ph.D.

Public Information Officer
Director, Marketing & Communications

Pronouns: she, her, hers

State Library of Ohio

274 E. 1st Avenue

Columbus, OH 43201

Tel: 614-644-6875

library.ohio.gov

mars...@library.ohio.gov

Dec 13, 2023, 4:07:34 PM12/13/23
to ALAO (list@alaoweb.org)

WebJunction builds the knowledge, skills and confidence of library staff to power strong libraries that are the heart of vibrant communities. A program of OCLC Research, WebJunction is free and welcome to all libraries to use, regardless of size, type or location.

Highlighted Content

Programs that Walk the Talk: Throughout the Climate Action series, we have discussed strategies and practical steps libraries can take toward sustainability, as well as resources to support these efforts. The Sustainable Libraries Initiative can help support a balanced approach to facilities management, policymaking, collections, partnerships, and library services and programs. The Sustainable Libraries Initiative has identified four key characteristics of a “Sustainable Library”:

·        Strong and authentic institutions that live their values out loud

·        Catalysts for social cohesion and civic participation in communities

·        Deliberate action on climate mitigation (the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions)

·        Active participants in climate adaptation (strengthening community resilience)

As libraries strive to manifest these characteristics through the programming offered by the library, there are three phases of work to consider through this lens: Design, Implementation, and Evaluation.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Leading Staff Learning: In our work to support library learning, we’re committed to an approach which looks to create and sustain diverse, equitable, inclusive spaces where libraries and communities can thrive. The OCLC 2023 Annual Report features some of our most popular webinars from the past year that can help inform your library’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). We’re also continuing to develop resources and programming in this area to support library staff as we all continue on our respective journeys toward a more equitable and inclusive society.

Centering Community VOICE: Are you looking to deepen or expand your library’s outreach services for children and families from underserved communities, or would you like to build your library’s outreach efforts but don’t know where to begin? Have you been looking for ways to incorporate social justice principles into your outreach efforts? Would you like strategies for how to thoughtfully and compassionately provide outreach in communities whose identities and values are different from yours? Then we have the right course for you! Centering Community VOICE includes in-depth, approachable content that guides you through a value-focused, outcomes-based process for developing, delivering, and assessing outreach programs for children and families from underserved groups. The self-paced course is designed for library staff at all levels who are interested in providing outreach services for children and families.

Advancing IDEAs: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, 5 December 2023: This is the latest Hanging Together blog post, part of a regular series on issues of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility, compiled by a team of OCLC contributors.

WebJunction Webinars for You

These upcoming webinars are open for registration. If you can’t attend a live session, all WebJunction webinars are recorded and available for free in the Course Catalog.

Libraries Foster Social Connection: Responding to the Epidemic of Loneliness and Isolation

Thursday, January 4, 2024 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/libraries-foster-social-connection.html

Libraries can play a vital role in building social cohesion and promoting community resilience, especially in challenging times. The Surgeon General’s 2023 Advisory on Our Epidemic of Loneliness and Isolation brings even greater urgency to the need for us to connect. This engaging session will explore ways to intentionally design for social connection in library services and programs, from passive to hosted. These innovative and practical strategies can deepen engagement with staff, trustees, local officials, volunteers, and community members of all ages and backgrounds. Through the lens of "social connector," we will explore how libraries can invite the community in with intention, build relationships that enhance social infrastructure, put community at the center of the library, and demonstrate the library’s impact.

Building Authentic Relationships with Underserved Communities

Tuesday, January 30, 2024 2:00 pm Eastern / 11:00 am Pacific 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/building-authentic-relationships.html

You know your library could do more to connect with and respond to the systematically excluded communities you serve. But if you're starting with little or no existing connection, how do you build authentic, trust-based relationships? How do you go beyond transactional interactions and guessing at services to effective engagement and participation? This webinar will help you develop a plan for identifying, reaching, and building relationships with communities experiencing oppression.

As a result of this webinar, you will be able to:

·        Articulate the connection between relationship-building and equity, diversity, inclusion and social justice (EDISJ) in library services

·        Create, maintain, and utilize a simple asset map to understand your community's ecosystem

·        Apply the principles of asset-based community development to your own projects

Switching it Up! Creating a Video Game Collection for Your Library

Thursday, February 22, 2024 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/video-game-collection.html

Video games are a dynamic, modern, popular medium worthy of a place in every library, but starting a collection can feel overwhelming. You might have questions like, how much funding will it require? Are these materials more prone to theft? Is this a juvenile collection, young adult, or one for all ages? This webinar will provide you with practical solutions for all your questions. We’ll walk through the process of creating, maintaining, and promoting a new video game collection. You’ll hear lessons learned and tips for success that Billings Public Library used to create a successful collection, along with strategies from other libraries around the country. You’ll leave ready to get started creating what is sure to be one of your library’s most well-circulating collections.

mars...@library.ohio.gov

Jan 19, 2024, 1:04:48 PMJan 19
to ALAO (list@alaoweb.org)

WebJunction builds the knowledge, skills and confidence of library staff to power strong libraries that are the heart of vibrant communities. A program of OCLC Research, WebJunction is free and welcome to all libraries to use, regardless of size, type or location.

Highlighted Content

Stronger Together: Collective Impact and Climate Action: Climate change is the grandest challenge of our generation. This requires a level of collaboration that has not been seen before. For many years we have waited for governments and businesses to solve for climate change, but the reality of the situation is that every job is a climate job, and every institution is a climate action vehicle. Libraries are uniquely positioned to aid in this effort due to our educational mission; our vision for a stronger future for all through knowledge acquisition and respect for the wisdom of those who came before us; and the trust equity we currently maintain in our communities, on our campuses, and in our schools.

2024 National Day of Racial Healing: The National Day of Racial Healing (NDORH) is an opportunity for people, organizations, and communities to call for racial healing, bring people together in their shared humanity and take action together to create a more just and equitable world. NDORH was created by W.K. Kellogg Foundation in 2017, building on the work and learnings of the Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT) initiative, to support  a national and community-based process to plan for and bring about transformational and sustainable change, and to address the historic and contemporary effects of racism. The National Day of Racial Healing is observed every year on the Tuesday following Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Read on for resources and strategies that libraries can use to encourage community participation in this year's National Day of Racial Healing, on January 16, 2024.

Sustainable Swag Self-Evaluation Rubric for Vendors and Library Workers: Have you ever considered the environmental impact of swag? Whether you're attending a national conference or a local event, you're likely to see examples of pens, tote bags, and trinkets being distributed by libraries and vendors alike. While we all recognize the important role that swag can play in marketing, the American Library Association’s Sustainability Round Table, Public Awareness and Advocacy Committee would like vendors and attendees to begin thinking more critically about the types of swag that are offered, what we pick up, and what we do with those items after the event ends.

[...]

Co-Creating Library Services for Transformative Impact

Tuesday, February 22, 2024 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/co-creating-library-services.html

The most relevant and dynamic ideas can grow from collaborating with impacted communities. Co-creation is one of the most effective ways for libraries to turn diversity, equity, and inclusion ideals into real-world services. In this session, you’ll learn about the fundamentals of co-design and explore how to apply them in your library for wildly creative and deeply impactful programs and services. As a result of this webinar, you’ll be able to:

·        Define co-design and its role in creating library services

·        Identify multiple ways of sharing power with community

·        Apply basic principles and techniques from human-centered design to facilitate co-creation

·        Draw on real-world examples for inspiration

mars...@library.ohio.gov

Feb 14, 2024, 4:12:24 PMFeb 14
to ALAO (list@alaoweb.org)

WebJunction builds the knowledge, skills and confidence of library staff to power strong libraries that are the heart of vibrant communities. A program of OCLC Research, WebJunction is free and welcome to all libraries to use, regardless of size, type or location.

Highlighted Content

WebJunction Wrap-Up: 2023 Highlights and Top Picks: As we ease into another year of learning together, we’re taking a moment to reflect on the projects and accomplishments of the past year and highlight some our most popular courses, webinars, and articles. Whether you chose to take self-paced courses on your own, or you attended one of our webinars to connect with library practitioners in real time, we couldn’t create this community of learners without you. That’s why we’re also revisiting some of the most popular WebJunction content of the past year—picked by you!

Easy as ABCD: Using Asset-Based Community Development as a Lens for Authentic Relationship-Building: Building relationships with systematically excluded communities is one of the most important things your library can do to support relevant, meaningful services. Dr. Audrey Barbakoff expands on how co-creation can help libraries embody our EDISJ (equity, diversity, inclusion, and social justice) values by working with our communities, rather than for or at them. The first and most foundational pillar of co-creation is building authentic relationships of trust across multiple identities and lived experiences. This article provides a focused look at one approach to starting and sustaining such relationships—asset-based community development or ABCD.

Survey on Climate and Environmental Health in Libraries: STAR Net invites you to complete a short survey (by March 1) to inform the design of the 2024 Climate Action Symposium: Exploring Collaborations with Libraries, Community-Based Organizations, and Public Health Agencies.

Webinar series: 12 Months to Better Library Data: The Research Institute for Public Libraries (RIPL) is a national initiative to provide training about data and evaluation to public library workers. While RIPL typically provides in-person trainings, this March it will launch a free, monthly, yearlong webinar series, 12 Months to Better Library Data. This series is intended for public library workers interested in gaining knowledge and skills for data-informed decision-making, program improvement, planning, and advocacy; as well as in learning how to use data to serve their community even better tomorrow than they are today. Anyone else interested in public library data and evaluation is also welcome to join!

[...]

Creating a Person-Centered Library: Supporting Patrons While Avoiding Burnout

Wednesday, March 13, 2024 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 90 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/creating-person-centered-library.html

Are you feeling the strain of serving patrons with complex needs? Is your library seeing increased patron behavioral issues and mental health concerns? This session reviews ideas and approaches for how libraries can support both high-needs patrons and staff. As a result of this webinar, you will be able to:

·        Articulate the changing needs of library patrons and how these impact staff

·        Learn strategies for assessing your library’s unique needs

·        Discuss helpful programs, collaborations, and/or services for high-needs patrons

·        Apply person-centered strategies to begin creating cultural change in your library

·        Anticipate potential barriers to change

mars...@library.ohio.gov

Apr 1, 2024, 3:49:12 PMApr 1
to ALAO (list@alaoweb.org)

WebJunction builds the knowledge, skills and confidence of library staff to power strong libraries that are the heart of vibrant communities. A program of OCLC Research, WebJunction is free and welcome to all libraries to use, regardless of size, type or location.

Highlighted Content

Reading in the balance: Exploring the role of public library in the ‘science of reading’: Learning to read is neither an innate nor simple process, and recently there has been increased scrutiny on whether schools are effectively preparing children to learn to read. Colloquially referred to as “the reading wars,” this scrutiny has led to the development of a reading-instruction approach based on some research-based theories and principles that are collectively referred to as the ‘science of reading.’ This curricular approach, already implemented in 37 states, has resulted in a remapping of reading instruction and teacher training. So, what does this mean for public libraries and your efforts to support the families in your communities?

Solar eclipse resources and activities for libraries: It’s eclipse time again! Libraries all over are gearing up to offer activities and resources for community members, and your library is probably no exception. But if you’re still looking for ideas, we’ve got you covered. From interactive workshops to hands-on activities, this article offers resources and ideas to help libraries inspire curiosity and foster learning about the solar system.

Advancing IDEAs: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, 19 March 2024: This is the latest Hanging Together blog post, part of a regular series on issues of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility, compiled by a team of OCLC contributors.

WebJunction Webinars for You

These upcoming webinars are open for registration. If you can’t attend a live session, all WebJunction webinars are recorded and available for free in the Course Catalog.

Navigating the library director hiring process: A guide for trustees and boards

Wednesday, April 16, 2024 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/library-director-hiring-process.html

Hiring a new library director is the single most important decision of the library board. Finding and retaining a good library director is vital to creating excellent library service for your community. This presentation will provide you with step-by-step instructions for this significant hiring process. From forming a committee to board approval, we'll navigate each crucial step together. Gain invaluable insights on job descriptions, reviewing applications, and conducting interviews. You will learn how avoid common pitfalls and ensure a seamless transition to a new director. Empower your board to make informed decisions and secure the visionary leadership your library deserves.

Leadership strategies for building connection and diffusing difficult situations

Tuesday, April 30, 2024 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/leadership-strategies.html

As library staff, our collective morale and goodwill are often eroded by a tidal wave of factors including book challenges, budget constraints, staffing shortages, toxic online discourse, and an increasingly divided culture. In times like these, searching for common ground might sound naïve or idealistic, but intentionally cultivating these mindsets can have a profound effect on your organizational culture, communication, problem-solving, and mental health. This webinar introduces skills grounded in the “Good Inside” approach, and will cover practical strategies to develop empathetic, curiosity-led leadership that assumes good intent in moments of conflict and stress, along with actionable communication skills for connection and cooperation.

Data storytelling 101

Tuesday, June 18, 2024 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/data-storytelling-101.html

Storytelling is a vital strategy for communicating impact and justifying future investments. Powerful and effective stories allow us to create a roadmap that weaves together information and emotion. This webinar will provide an orientation to storytelling that centers cultural humility while leveraging storytelling dynamics, including how to practice and refine an impactful story with a live audience. Participants will learn the techniques of story construction based on three classic narrative structures, with roots in folklore and narratology, and explore examples of data stories told by and about libraries. This is an opportunity to build confidence in the ability to recognize and craft a meaningful and memorable story.

mars...@library.ohio.gov

May 22, 2024, 1:59:14 PMMay 22
to ALAO (list@alaoweb.org)

WebJunction builds the knowledge, skills and confidence of library staff to power strong libraries that are the heart of vibrant communities. A program of OCLC Research, WebJunction is free and welcome to all libraries to use, regardless of size, type or location.

Highlighted Content

WebJunction resource roundup: WebJunction is committed to supporting library staff by offering practical learning, chances to connect with other library professionals, and resources to help inform the work you’re doing. We occasionally take a look back at some of our newer and popular content in case you didn’t have a chance to see it the first time around. Explore this curated collection of resources from WebJunction, partner organizations, and other libraries to enrich your knowledge and elevate your impact. From early literacy to community engagement to tackling the more serious social issues, this guide aims to help equip you with tools to help you serve your communities.

Libraries get moving! Fitness programs for everyone: May is National Bike Month, and libraries across the country are helping their community members hop onto two wheels to celebrate. Cycling programs are just one of many ways that libraries are helping community members stay active. As local hubs, libraries are a great place to promote community health initiatives, often in partnership with government-sponsored programs. From aerobics to Zumba and everything in between, we hope you’ll find a ton of ideas and inspiration to bring to your library’s fitness programming.

Advancing IDEAs: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, 14 May 2024: This is the latest Hanging Together blog post, part of a regular series on issues of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility, compiled by a team of OCLC contributors.

WebJunction Webinars for You

These upcoming webinars are open for registration. If you can’t attend a live session, all WebJunction webinars are recorded and available for free in the Course Catalog.

Supporting domestic and sexual violence survivors at your library

Thursday, June 6, 2024 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 90 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/supporting-domestic-and-sexual-violence-survivors.html

Libraries are in a unique position to offer resources and referrals to those experiencing domestic and sexual violence and stalking. In this webinar, learn how to identify the signs of domestic/sexual violence and stalking, what/when/how to say something to a survivor, and how to provide resources to someone who does not disclose abuse.

You will learn how to:

·        Identify ways to research and navigate reporting laws and resources for survivors and allies in your state

·        Recognize best practices for listening to a disclosure

·        Select ways to improve your library's programs and procedures for survivors

·        Collaborate with crisis centers and other local partners to support survivors

Data storytelling 101

[...]

Access to WebJunction’s library-specific courses is available for free to all library workers and volunteers. Through the generous support of OCLC and many agencies across the U.S., WebJunction provides timely and relevant learning content for you to access anytime, from anywhere. Simply create an account at learn.webjunction.org, and then explore the catalog of library-focused self-paced courses and webinars. Certificates of completion will be available to you after you have completed any course or webinar that you enroll in from the catalog. Support for WebJunction by the State Library of Ohio is provided by federal LSTA funds from IMLS.

mars...@library.ohio.gov

Jun 14, 2024, 2:21:43 PMJun 14
to ALAO (list@alaoweb.org)

WebJunction builds the knowledge, skills and confidence of library staff to power strong libraries that are the heart of vibrant communities. A program of OCLC Research, WebJunction is free and welcome to all libraries to use, regardless of size, type or location.

Highlighted Content

I Partner with my Public Library Award: As libraries continue turning outward to communities, the importance of collaboration increases. The I Partner with My Public Library Award, hosted by Let’s Move in Libraries, invites you to recognize the accomplishments of your exceptional partners. Each year, up to 10 community partners are honored with the award and recognized at an online ceremony. Submitting a nomination is the perfect way to thank your partners, and to celebrate the work you have done together. These annual awards also inspire others to reach out to new partners. Nominations will be accepted through the end of August 2024.

LiteracyNation Freedom to Read-a-Thon at ALA: The LiteracyNation Read-a-Thon, now in its second year, promises a day of inspiration, community, and the joy of reading. LiteracyNation Inc., in collaboration with ALA's Ethnic and Multicultural Information Exchange Round Table (EMIERT), proudly presents this remarkable event. Together, we celebrate the power of storytelling across cultures, languages, and genres. Join Literacy Nation for their Read-a-Thon fundraiser at the ALA Annual Conference and Exhibition in San Diego. And learn more about LiteracyNation and how you can partner with indie authors in support of showcasing diverse stories at your library.

Advancing IDEAs: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, 10 June 2024: This is the latest Hanging Together blog post, part of a regular series on issues of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility, compiled by a team of OCLC contributors.

[...]

Why do we fall for misinformation?

Wednesday, July 10, 2024 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/why-do-we-fall-for-misinformation.html

From falling for cheap fakes to trusting the credibility of AI-generated references, we can all be vulnerable to online misinformation. In this webinar, learn about several research-based strategies that can supplement and expand on your existing information literacy approaches with patrons. Researchers from the University of Washington’s Center for an Informed Public (CIP) will unpack how online information environments influence what we see and believe online. Come explore opportunities to increase capacity for public library staff and community members to address and navigate problematic information.

Work It Out @ Your Library with the Wombats!

Thursday, August 8, 2024 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/work-it-out-wombats.html

This webinar will introduce you to Work It Out @ Your Library! a new program for families in your community, built around Work it Out Wombats!, a national PBS KIDS television series for 4- to 6-year-olds. Through hands-on activities, library storytime sessions, animated videos, and a family app, this flexible program helps library staff guide families through the exploration of computational thinking. Computational thinking is a creative way of solving problems in more organized ways. When children make believe they're running a restaurant, they explore sequencing by figuring out the steps for serving a customer a meal. When they play with blocks to make a castle, they can practice the design process by creating, testing, and improving the structure. Library staff are uniquely suited to promote this learning with their library families. The webinar will cover why computational thinking skills are important for young children, how the free resources have been used to run fun and engaging programs in libraries, and how you can, too.

mars...@library.ohio.gov

Jun 28, 2024, 1:27:47 PMJun 28
to ALAO (list@alaoweb.org)

WebJunction builds the knowledge, skills and confidence of library staff to power strong libraries that are the heart of vibrant communities. A program of OCLC Research, WebJunction is free and welcome to all libraries to use, regardless of size, type or location.

Highlighted Content

Empowering informed communities: Resources for building community trust around information
Public libraries are uniquely positioned to help their patrons navigate information-related challenges. To do this, library workers need research-based resources and tools on information literacy and misinformation. WebJunction is partnering with researchers at the University of Washington’s Center for an Informed Public to offer public libraries up-to-date information literacy resources, sustainable professional development, and tools to refine, expand, and assess these resources and practices for their staff.

Seasonal selections: Summer reading list and book display roundup: Libraries in the northern hemisphere are diving into a vibrant season of summer reading, and we want to spotlight some of your creative book displays, reading lists, and other reading initiatives. Check out how other libraries are commemorating Audiobook Appreciation Month, Juneteenth, Pride Month, the anniversary of D-Day, and more events—and creating fun and whimsical themed displays to help their communities get excited about reading.

Advancing IDEAs: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, 25 June 2024: This is the latest Hanging Together blog post, part of a regular series on issues of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility, compiled by a team of OCLC contributors.

WebJunction Webinars for You

These upcoming webinars are open for registration. If you can’t attend a live session, all WebJunction webinars are recorded and available for free in the Course Catalog.

Why do we fall for misinformation?

Wednesday, July 10, 2024 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/why-do-we-fall-for-misinformation.html

From falling for cheap fakes to trusting the credibility of AI-generated references, we can all be vulnerable to online misinformation. In this webinar, learn about several research-based strategies that can supplement and expand on your existing information literacy approaches with patrons. Researchers from the University of Washington’s Center for an Informed Public (CIP) will unpack how online information environments influence what we see and believe online. Come explore opportunities to increase capacity for public library staff and community members to address and navigate problematic information.

Cultural humility in library work

Wednesday, July 17, 2024 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/cultural-humility-in-library-work.html

Cultural humility offers a renewing and transformative framework for navigating interpersonal interactions in libraries, whether between patrons and staff or staff members with one another. But what is cultural humility, and what does it look like in practice? Join the editors of Hopeful visions, practical actions: Cultural humility in library work, (ALA Editions 2023) as they define and explore the concept of cultural humility, its strengths and limitations, and strategies for applying more inclusive practices to library customer service, policies, and collection development.

[...]

mars...@library.ohio.gov

Jul 10, 2024, 3:51:51 PM (12 days ago) Jul 10
to ALAO (list@alaoweb.org)

WebJunction builds the knowledge, skills and confidence of library staff to power strong libraries that are the heart of vibrant communities. A program of OCLC Research, WebJunction is free and welcome to all libraries to use, regardless of size, type or location.

Highlighted Content

Creating a community-led library: Loveland Public Library's u-lab initiative in action

Libraries are increasingly turning to community-led approaches to ensure that their services and resources meet local needs effectively. This process involves actively including community members in decision-making processes, but the path to getting there can look different from library to library. We spoke with Loveland Public Library (Colorado) Director Amy Phillips to learn more about how her library is using a method called u-lab to guide their efforts to better understand community needs and align them with planned outreach efforts.

Library guide to civic engagement: Tools and strategies for voter education

Many people already turn to libraries as sources of trusted information ahead of elections, and organizations like the American Libraries Association and the League of Women Voters are hoping to expand those numbers. We’ve curated a selection of resources, tools, and ideas to help inform your library’s approach to this important work.

Advancing IDEAs: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, 9 July 2024