Free Panel Discussion: Information Literacy as a Concept and Practice: Where are We Going?

Hammons, Jane

Jul 15, 2024, 9:26:00 AM (8 days ago) Jul 15
to li...@alaoweb.org

This free panel discussion is being sponsored by The Ohio State University Libraries. All are welcome!

Information Literacy as a Concept and Practice: Where are We Going?

July 29, 2024

12:00-1:00 pm (Eastern)

To register: https://osu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_JMYPQ8_UTz67oJpQzmyT5A

Definitions of information literacy have evolved over the past 50 years. How does "second wave" information literacy differ from "first wave" information literacy? What changes may be in store for how we think about information literacy as a concept and how we practice information literacy? Should we think about information literacy as a discipline? How will the relationship between information literacy and critical information literacy continue to develop? How should the Framework for Information Literacy evolve? This discussion will explore how our conception of information literacy has evolved and may continue to transform.

Panelists:

  • Veronica Arellano Douglas is the Interim Associate Dean for Research and Student Engagement at the University of Houston Libraries. Veronica has published on topics including critical information literacy, emotional labor, gendered divisions of work, relational-cultural theory, and feminism. She was the 2020 recipient of the Miriam Dudley Instruction Librarian Award.
  • Clarence Maybee is the Associate Dean for Learning and the W. Wayne Booker Endowed Chair in Information Literacy at the Purdue University Libraries and School of Information Studies. He is the director of the Institute for Information Literacy at Purdue. He publishes widely and presents internationally on his research investigating experiences of information literacy in higher education.
  • Sara Miller is the Librarian for Interdisciplinary Teaching and Learning Initiatives at Michigan State University. She has published and presented internationally on critical and disciplinary information literacy and is currently writing a book about whole-person approaches to IL philosophy, pedagogy, and culture through the lens of intellectual, psychological, and identity development.
  • Logan Rath is a Librarian at the State University of New York Brockport. His recent publications focus on factors influencing librarian definitions of information literacy and information literacy as a social practice. He is currently studying librarians use of the knowledge practices and dispositions in the ACRL Framework.

The Ohio State University
Jane Hammons, MSLIS, MS, MA
Associate Professor
Teaching and Learning Engagement Librarian
University Libraries
221C Thompson Library, 1858 Neil Ave Mall, Columbus, OH 43210
614-688-2911 Office
hammo...@osu.edu / library.osu.edu

My hours are usually 7:30-4:00 M-F.