Future of PersistIt?

Brendan Humphreys

Jul 31, 2013, 7:55:44 PM7/31/13
to akiban-user
Hi Folks,

Congratulations on your acquisition! I'm interested to hear what the future plans are for the PersistIt BTree library. My reading of the press release about the acquisition suggests that FoundationDb has its own "storage substrate" and was interested in Akiban primarily for its higher layers of SQL smarts. I'm not sure where this leaves PersistIt. Will it be maintained by FoundationDb?

Cheers,
-Brendan

Ori Herrnstadt

Aug 1, 2013, 1:06:29 PM8/1/13
to akiba...@akiban.com, Peter Beaman, Peter Beaman
Hi Brendan, thanks for the congrats!

Yes, indeed we are building the SQL layer on top of FoundationDB. The Persistit project will be maintained and developed by it's creator Peter Beaman - https://github.com/pdbeaman. It will not be supported by Akiban or FoundationDB going forward.

Ori

pdbe...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2013, 1:41:40 PM8/1/13
to akiba...@akiban.com
Hi Brendan,

Indeed Ori's response is correct. Akiban has transitioned to a product that will run over the FoundationDB substrate and will no longer support Persistit.

I am continuing to work on Persistit. Expect to see a new branch up shortly. Recently I've done some work on optimizing the I/O path.

My situation is that I left Akiban and have joined Twitter where I am working with the core-storage team. I will be developing a B-Tree-based technology at Twitter, and the Persistit code base may or may not be involved. Clearly Persistit would benefit from use by and ongoing development at Twitter, but the outcome is uncertain right now. The good news is that Twitter publishes a lot of their work as open source, so if we arrive at a better B-Tree design, you are likely to see it.

I have been hoping to have something definite and clear to announce to Persistit users, but I think it will be at least September before that happens. In the meantime, please feel free to send questions, comments and support issues to me at pbe...@twitter.com.

Thanks for all the energy you have invested in Persistit. I'm hoping to make it even better.

Sincerely,

Peter Beaman
pbe...@twitter.com
@pdbeaman