Foundation Beyond Belief is now Go Humanity!

Jake Ritter

May 24, 2022, 9:27:45 AM5/24/22
to Ethical.A...@aeu.org, communicati...@aeu.org
Dear Colleagues,

One of our partners, Foundation Beyond Belief, has undergone a rebrand and is now Go Humanity. Emily Newman from the American Humanist Association told me that the AHA has encouraged Go Humanity to work with our Societies. Below is a description of Go Humanity and a link to their website.

Go Humanity is a humanist charity that promotes secular volunteering and responsible charitable giving. Guided by the principles of secular humanism, our mission is to unite the humanist community in volunteering and charitable efforts and advocate for compassionate action throughout the world.

Best regards,

Jake Ritter - he/him
Program Support and Communications Coordinator
American Ethical Union
jri...@aeu.org

Pattie Arduini

May 24, 2022, 9:39:23 AM5/24/22
to Jake Ritter, Ethical Action Chairs (new), Communications Listserv
Thank you, Jake!  Susquehanna Valley Ethical Society is in the process of joining with Go Humanity's Food Security Project.

Best,
Pattie Arduini

Patricia Arduini
SVES Board President
Pronouns: She, Her, Hers

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 62
Mifflinburg, PA  17844

--
Visit the Ethical Action Page on the AEU Resources website https://sites.google.com/aeu.org/aeu-resources/ethical-action
---

Curt Collier

May 24, 2022, 11:27:01 AM5/24/22
to Jake Ritter, Ethical Action Chairs (new), communicati...@aeu.org
Hey all,

 I can certainly understand the appeal of an organization designed to improve the material comfort of others.  However,  I am dismayed that this email was sent out without critical analysis.  First off of course is that many of us are not secular humanists and this email makes assumptions about its audience which are not accurate.   My chief concern however is that this organization's approach takes a page out of the tired old approach of the dominant culture.  Believing that the only thing we need to do is to provide charity and volunteering does not address the deep underlying structures which cause inequality and exploitation.     Rather we need to create the avenues for career development for our youth and creating economic economic opportunities that pay a living wage.  Relegating change to nothing more than volunteer opportunities also misdirects efforts away from the structural systemic changes we need to make now in order to build a greener and more equitable and sustainable future.

 This is the approach of ethical biocentrism which  does not ask us to set aside  religious sentiments in order to build a better world.  I'm hoping that we can further opportunities for Ethical Culturists to implement biocentric approaches in our congregations as I have been advocating and wonder how the AEU can help with that.

Curt Collier
Leader
Bergen Ethical Culture Society

Monica Weiss

May 24, 2022, 12:09:57 PM5/24/22
to Curt Collier, Jake Ritter, Ethical Action Chairs (new), communicati...@aeu.org
As I continue my journey into climate activism and connect with so many wonderful people from varying faith groups and none at all, what unites us all in deed are the deeply held values for preserving life on earth
for future generations. No one particularly cares what slightly divergent beliefs we each have, yet what united us all in deed (which is what I think these opportunities are meant to do) is the understanding that the systems
that are life destroying need to be disrupted and changed. Yesterday in a zoom meeting, our Youth director, Audrey Kindred, shared that she attended an interfaith meeting where the underlying assumption was that everyone believed in God of one sort or another and Audrey very thoughtfully and ethically engaged one of the organizers in a conversation about feeling left out. Her feelings were heard and she created a place at the table for all of us, heightened awareness and will continue to engage.
The climate movement is increasingly interfaith. Most religions are recognizing that their creed calls for disruption, engagement, civil disobedience, boycotts, and a different paradigm. Green Faith, Dayenu, Jewish Climate Action Network, Beloved Earth Community (Riverside Church) and many others are joining together in an all out (and last ditch) effort to save the planet not just for humans because we are actually the problem. I work closely with youth climate activists and they don't care who you are, just that you show up and that their future matters to you.  I recently joined Third Act because I saw it as an enormously strategic vision to effect change and engage elders  in changing the narrative and
shifting the balance of power.
I do not identify as a humanist because it feels a bit arrogant and insufficient. I am ethical, non-theistic and biocentric. When I show up for my work every day, I show up as a mother, a grandmother, a citizen of my city, my state, my country and my planet. This is the moment we need to all sit at the same table, be clear about what really matters and be the change.  Thank you for the space to even have this conversation.    Monica

Pattie Arduini

May 24, 2022, 12:37:56 PM5/24/22
to Curt Collier, Jake Ritter, Ethical Action Chairs (new), Communications Listserv
Curt,

You are correct that not everyone in our Ethical Culture Societies identify as a secular humanist though there are members of our community who do.  The make-up of our EC Societies are not all the same, and we each have circumstances that are unique and special to the community we serve. For my Society, Susquehanna Valley ES, our volunteerism strengthens our commitment to build a better world. We seek lots of opportunities to participate in our local community and the Go Humanity Food Security Project offers us grant money so that we can increase our focus on the underlying reasons which cause inequality.

Pattie Arduini
Patricia Arduini
SVES Board President
Pronouns: She, Her, Hers

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 62
Mifflinburg, PA  17844

Curt Collier

May 24, 2022, 1:11:26 PM5/24/22
to Pattie Arduini, Jake Ritter, Ethical Action Chairs (new), Communications Listserv
Hey Pattie,

 My response was not directed to the good work of your society.   Stop gap measures directed to ensuring food security are certainly worthwhile.  I am the consulting leader for the Silicon Valley society and we just determined they've raised nearly $30,000 this year alone through in-kind, volunteer, and monetary donations to help address hunger issues amongst the homeless. (They have 31 members). All good stuff and certainly they too are limited by capacity.

My email was a call to think of the broader issues confronting our communities such as the long term food issues at the systemic level as well.   This is the level at which the USDA is hoping organizations can help address,  and they routinely put out grants for which our societies are eligible.  Happy to talk with you about that

However, the organization just touted does not call for that work.  In my work what people wanted was a hand up not a hand out as activists routinely shout.  It's to provide the tools for self determination, career pathways, community redevelopment of infrastructure and affordable housing and jobs...things which Adler touted as well.   Once again this is not about the capacity of the Susquehanna Society, just one of emphasis.    I apologize if it sounded like I was criticizing your good work.

Curt Collier

Emily Newman

May 24, 2022, 1:47:53 PM5/24/22
to Curt Collier, Communications Listserv, Ethical Action Chairs (new), Jake Ritter, Pattie Arduini
First, I should clarify that that the AHA is not saying Ethical Societies should connect with Go Humanity. The AEU partnered with Foundation Beyond Belief since FBB started and the AEU has encouraged Ethical Societies to connect to be a part of wider humanist actions over the years. My fault for saying “we” in message to Jake without clarification.

Second, while Go Humanity was started by Dale McGowan as a secular alternative to the work done by religious organizations (trying to show not only religious people do charity, especially in areas without Ethical Societies), it has expanded to teach about mutual aid, helped expand Humanist Corps projects, encouraged local groups to become more engaged in issues on educational and advocacy levels not just volunteering. I encourage folks to explore their website and contact their staff if you have questions.

AEU is full of religious and secular folks and partners with religious and secular organizations.

Emily

--
Visit the Communications Page on the AEU Resources Website by clicking on the link below:

https://sites.google.com/aeu.org/aeu-resources/communications
---

Carolyn Parker

May 24, 2022, 1:50:07 PM5/24/22
to Curt Collier, Pattie Arduini, Jake Ritter, Ethical Action Chairs (new), Communications Listserv
Excellent thread.  Thank you all for your contributions.  I hope it continues as a real exploration of how interrelated our thinking is despite the appearance of differences and--where there are differences--continued goodwill as we seek understanding.  There are a couple of things I'd like to add:
  • AEU did reach out to FBB (now Go Humanity!) in the early days of the Ukraine invasion for their recommendations for assistance projects.  Their reply resulted in a number of our Societies working with existing programs to support the people of Ukraine before we had yet had time to develop our own (at NYSEC and other Societies).
  • The National Ethical Service is seeking to encourage us all to look to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals of 2030 for inspiration for our Ethical Actions.  SDG 2--Zero Hunger--is directly on point.  I am attaching the UN flyer--SDG2 Why It Matters--for additional information.  While all of our Societies already have active projects in place (SVES, NYSEC, Silicon Valley, Austin, etc.), reflecting their concerns and their capacities, this flyer does show ways in which we can all help approach food insecurity as well as some of the systemic issues that contribute to food insecurity and environmental degradation.  Think food waste.  Think farmers markets.  Think sustainable agriculture.  Kiss the Ground.  OK, that's not the UN, but it is an eye opener.
Peace and goodwill,

Carolyn A. Parker
Chair, AEU EAC

--
She/Her - Deed Before Creed - AEU Ethical Action
2_Why-It-Matters-2020.pdf

James Croft

May 24, 2022, 2:14:15 PM5/24/22
to Carolyn Parker, Curt Collier, Pattie Arduini, Jake Ritter, Ethical Action Chairs (new), Communications Listserv

Hi all,

I’d just like to provide a little more information about Go Humanity! so that people understand what it is trying to do. Rather than simply operating from a charitable model, as has been suggested, their service teams partner with local organizations in the USA and around the world to help them develop their power and change the material conditions in their area. They also offer consistent funding for local organizations by providing them monthly grants, so they can more easily budget and build capacity.

The idea is to create networks which can supercharge the efforts of local organizations to create exactly the sort of long-term, systemic, and sustainable change Curt mentions. As they say on their website, they provide:

  • Consistent funding through monthly grants
  • Support for local volunteer teams with limited funding options
  • Emphasis on community-led initiatives
  • Focus on historically underserved communities
  • Holistic solutions that address both immediate need and long-term sustainability

Best Wishes,

James

Curt Collier

May 24, 2022, 11:44:45 PM5/24/22
to James Croft, Carolyn Parker, Pattie Arduini, Jake Ritter, Ethical Action Chairs (new), Communications Listserv
Still reeling from the mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas....a town I know well (42 miles from my hometown).

Thanks for the information.  It certainly seems like an interesting organization.  While I saw glimpses of their performance measures, I'm wondering if I can get more access to the hands on projects funded here in the US.  I couldn't find it online.  Specifically, I'm looking for project descriptions, how many people were served, amenities built, funding allocated, demographics, etc.  Nonprofits should have that information at their fingertips.  I've attached one of the reports I used to generate each year for one of our partners (see link).  I'd like to see what Go Humanity is doing.  Emily, can we get that information?

Regards,

Curt Collier
Leader
Ethical Culture Society of Bergen County

Jone Lewis

May 25, 2022, 12:01:09 PM5/25/22
to Jake Ritter, Ethical.A...@aeu.org, Communications Listserv
Thanks!  RYSEC has been exploring how to connect with the incredible project in Ghana, thanks to Christian Hayden's initial work connecting us with them.  The approach of building empowerment from the ground up is so important.

Jone Johnson Lewis
  she/her/hers

Emily Newman

May 25, 2022, 1:33:50 PM5/25/22
to Curt Collier, Carolyn Parker, Communications Listserv, Ethical Action Chairs (new), Jake Ritter, James Croft, Pattie Arduini
Curt, you can contact the organization for reports.