orderly shutdown of ADMB development planned for the year ahead

Ian Taylor - NOAA Federal

May 4, 2023, 5:50:59 PM5/4/23
to ADMB Users, devel...@admb-project.org, fish.as...@noaa.gov
Dear ADMB community,

We write to you to formally announce that planning has begun to retire ADMB from active development.

ADMB is 30 years old this year and has been free and open source software managed by the ADMB Foundation for more than half of that time. ADMB has empowered an entire generation of fishery stock assessment scientists–the number of analyses and stock assessment models which have depended on the software are too numerous to count. However, as a new generation of software has emerged, TMB in particular, the role of ADMB has diminished. The NOAA grant which has sustained development for years by supporting Johnoel Ancheta’s position is coming to an end on March 31, 2024 and planning for an orderly shutdown of development has begun. The ADMB Foundation board is expecting to hold a meeting this fall for the purpose of initiating termination of the ADMB Foundation.

ADMB will not go away in 2024. The software will remain free and hosted at https://github.com/admb-project/. Open source contributions will continue to be welcome from the ADMB community. However, it has become clear that keeping the software updated to work with evolving compilers takes resources beyond what the Foundation is able to sustain. Therefore, the focus will shift in the months ahead to building a long-term stable release of the software and setting up tools to enable compiling existing ADMB models, including Stock Synthesis, for years to come. This means that any ADMB program can continue to be developed and updated using that stable release.

The board would like to thank Johnoel for his years of work on the project. The software could not have served the vital role it did without his support. We would also like to thank all those who were instrumental in its development over the past 30 years, starting with Dave Fournier, as well as John Sibert and the others instrumental in the transition to open source and the creation of the ADMB Foundation. We also are thankful to the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation and the National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis for supporting the transition of ADMB to open source in 2007, and to NOAA for its support from 2009 onward. The board is also deeply grateful for the ADMB user community and all those who have contributed to its development over the years.

We expect to keep the users informed of progress on the orderly shutdown over the year ahead, but if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to ian.t...@noaa.gov or post issues at https://github.com/admb-project/admb/issues.

Sincerely,

The ADMB Foundation Board
Ian Taylor (President)
Vanessa Trijoulet (Secretary)
Erik Franklin (Treasurer)

Athol Whitten

May 4, 2023, 8:07:16 PM5/4/23
to Ian Taylor - NOAA Federal, ADMB Users, devel...@admb-project.org, fish.as...@noaa.gov
Congratulations all on a remarkable tenure and so many great achievements.

It was my honour to be part of the ADMB Executive Committee almost ten years ago now. I will always remember the effort, enthusiasm, and dedication displayed by Johnoel, the core team, and the foundation members to keep ADMB alive. I look forward to seeing what a future with an expanded role for TMB will look like. Onwards and upwards.

Regards,
Athol

Athol Whitten
awhi...@gmail.com