Cannot run "simple.tpl" in ADSTUDIO

Øyvind Hoveid

Feb 18, 2022, 1:08:04 AM2/18/22
to ADMB Users
Dear ADMB experts

I am a newbie to ADMB, but determined to give it a try.

With no knowledge of EMACS I went for the ADSTUDIO option which I have installed. The first test is to run "simple.tpl". An EMACS window opens, but it does not look like the one in the manual. The heading is not "simple.tpl" but "emacs@PC-CG0112LN5", and the ADMB menu is missing in the second line.

I have read the troubleshooting section, and at least the environmental variables seem OK (enclosed).

Possibly, the heading  "emacs@PC-CG0112LN5" gives a hint of what is wrong. The part following @ is the identification of my computer (win10). Is some system setting causing trouble here?

I have only temporary administrator rights.

How can I pass this barrier to entry?

best
Oyvind Hoveid
Norwegian Institute of Bioeconomy Research (NIBIO)

Skjermbilde 2022-02-18 091922.png

Johnoel Ancheta

Feb 18, 2022, 1:56:08 PM2/18/22
to Øyvind Hoveid, ADMB Users
Try using the zip installer (see procedure below).

Arni Magnusson

Feb 18, 2022, 5:14:04 PM2/18/22
to ADMB Users, Øyvind Hoveid
Hello Oyvind,

It sounds like this problem could be related to the temporary administrator rights that you mention. The AD Studio installer works fine on a standard unrestricted Windows 10 machine.

The main appeal of AD Studio is the quick installation and configuration of everything you need for developing ADMB and TMB models. I agree with Johnoel, that if the AD Studio installer is not working straight away, the easiest option is to install the standalone ADMB from a zip file.

Cheers,
Arni

Øyvind Hoveid

Feb 19, 2022, 12:46:28 AM2/19/22
to Arni Magnusson, ADMB Users
Thanks Arni and Johnoel

The problem was as Arni suggested, administrator rights. The installer made changes to HOME, ADMB_HOME and PATH only for the temporary administrator. By making the changes permanent manually, I got the AD Studio running with ADMB-12.3 --- at least so far.

best
Øyvind