What part of xAPI statement does "statement origination" data belong in?

Sharon Trudell

Feb 6, 2019, 10:02:45 AM2/6/19
to ADL xAPI Community of Practice & Profiles Group
Hello,

We are building into our xAPI code a function to track where an xAPI statement originated from.   Was the xAPI statement sent from SharePoint, an internal system, an authoring tool, etc.

Scenario:  Several demos are packaged as a training event.  Those same demos are also part of a Help function in a system (embedded learning).

We want to know if a learner launched a particular training piece as part of a training event, thus requiring full completion; or only to look up a piece of info after training rolled out (embedded learning), thus not requiring full completion.  With adding the origination code, we would be able to identify where that xAPI statement came from.

We are trying to decide where in the xAPI statement that origination data should go:  context, extensions, etc..  Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sharon

Sébastien FRAYSSE

Feb 14, 2019, 7:26:05 AM2/14/19
to ADL xAPI Community of Practice & Profiles Group
Hi Sharon,

I would like to share 3 ideas, but I am not sure what is the best, or if there are other better solutions.

1. Using the "authority" field of the Statements, which may give an indication about which system assessed that the statement is true. However, the authority field may be managed differently from an LRS to another. Some LRS will let the authority field unchanged (trusting the Activity Provider), others may change it.

2. Using the "platform" field, which may be provided by the Activity Provider. This is a simple string so I don't know if it is enough for your need.

3. Using a context extension as you can define this extension like you want, given that if you have a full control on creating/interpreting the statements in your eco-system.

I hope this will help you and I would be very interesting to hear other opinions on this subjet...

Best regards,

Sebastien

Sharon Trudell

Feb 14, 2019, 10:26:43 AM2/14/19
to ADL xAPI Community of Practice & Profiles Group
Hi Sebastien.  Thank you so much for your reply.  Each suggestion has its own strengths.  I will bring back to my team and decide.  I will definitely let you know which direction we go.