Conflicting use of 'context.registration' by LRS vendor

Tom Buckham

Apr 19, 2018, 11:41:50 AM4/19/18
to xAPI Design
Hi all

Out of curiosity, has anyone encountered LRS vendors/suppliers that use xAPI schemas that conflict with the spec?

I ask as I was given access to a sample of the API details used for TinCan by an LRS vendor, which included a conflicting use of context.registration (see below):

object*TCObject{
id*string
}
context*TCContext{
registration*string

Product ID

Obviously it's a bit of a red flag, and internally we were discussing the impact of things like this on our data. The obvious thing that springs to mind is potential impacts on state data, and managing sessions/attempts (until I saw this I'd assumed we might use context.registration to manage/group 'attempt data').

We're trying to gauge other longer term issues/conflicts re: conflicts like the above - if anyone has any experiences in this area, any feedback would be great as we're starting to move from SCORM to xAPI this year, but want to avoid any pitfalls for obvious reasons.

Cheers all!

Tom