LETSI RTWS CMI Data Model Additions

Mike Rustici

Sep 7, 2010, 5:24:00 PM9/7/10
to CMI Harmonization
RTWS communication also requires a few additions to the base CMI data
model. Specifically, we added the following data model elements (which
will be discussed below):

Attempt Number
Comment -> Identifier
Interaction -> Attempt Number

Attempt Number

Attempt Number is a new data model element introduced for RTWS
communication. The Attempt Number associates this set of CMI data with
an attempt within this session. On first launch, the Attempt Number
returned is 1. New attempts are initiated by the value of Exit sent by
the RTWS consumer in Set calls. When a new attempt is started, the
RTWS provider is responsible for incrementing the value of Attempt
Number.

Data Type: integer (positive number >= 1)
Read Only
Default Value: current attempt number, first attempt is 1

CommentType members:

identifier (required, xs:anyURI) - a unique identifier generated by
the RTWS consumer. Required for every comment element.

Interactions - attemptNumber (optional, integer, default: 1) -
Indicates which attempt on the interaction data is being recorded for.
If using a state scheme, attemptNumber can be omitted and it will
always default to 1. In other words, it will continue to overwrite
data for the first attempt. When using a journaling scheme, this value
should be incremented by the RTWS consumer (When incrementing, no
attempt numbers should be skipped. It should be a "packed" array).

Frank Polster

Sep 17, 2010, 12:21:29 PM9/17/10
to Mike Rustici, CMI Harmonization, Tyde Richards
Mike, At today's CMI Harmonization meeting I posted in the chat window your RTWS changes below. John Blakmon posted a concern which was -

 John Blackmon: From an authoring tool perspective, we would prefer that attempt_number be kept by course as a whole rather than by session. Course authors generally want to keep track or limit the number of attempts on a question for students taking the course irrespective of the session "

Any comment?

Thanks Frank
--
Frank Polster
Cell 757-816-6230

Ben Clark

Sep 17, 2010, 4:27:17 PM9/17/10
to Frank Polster, Mike Rustici, CMI Harmonization, Tyde Richards
Hi Frank,

I think I can clear this up.  When we talk about session from a RTWS perspective, we are not talking about a single launch of the course.  From the RTWS developer guide

One of the launch parameters passed to the content is a "session id". In this context, a "session" is an instance of a single learner taking a single course (and a single SCO, since this project's scope is limited to single SCO courses). A session has a set of CMI tracking data associated with it. When a web service request is made, it is always in the context of a session.

Once content has been launched one time and connection information exchanged, the content is free to initiate communication at any time. The scope of the communication session between the consumer and provider is no longer limited to the duration of a browser session.

We expect there to be only one session for a given "registration" (LMS set of tracking data associated with a learner + course combination).

What I'm getting at is we're not trying to reduce the scope of attempt number, but rather just acknowledge the fact that an LMS may sometimes may create a complete new set of tracking data, in which case it would naturally have a cleared attempt count.  However we probably don't need to mention that within the CMI data model.

So, I'll want to confirm this within the RTWS group, but I think you can run on the assumption we will just strike "within a session" from that language.

Thanks,

-Ben

--
---
You are subscribed to the "CMI Harmonization" group. More information can be found on the website: https://sites.google.com/a/adlnet.gov/scorm-harmonization/home

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/a/adlnet.gov/group/cmi-harmonization?hl=en_US?hl=en

John Blackmon

Sep 17, 2010, 5:22:39 PM9/17/10
to Ben Clark, Frank Polster, Mike Rustici, CMI Harmonization, Tyde Richards
Thanks for clearing that up guys, sounds like it was just a difference in terminology.

John Blackmon
Senior Vice President, Authoring Systems
Trivantis Corporation

Mike Rustici

Sep 17, 2010, 1:19:39 PM9/17/10
to Frank Polster, CMI Harmonization, Tyde Richards
I'm not quite clear what distinction he is making. I think we might be missing each other. Happy to get on a call though to discuss it.