No way to apply weight to a measure on a given objective

Jonathan Poltrack

Aug 31, 2010, 5:21:53 PM8/31/10
to CMI Harmonization
A SCO can contain n objectives, each with an associated measure.
There is currently no way to weight the measure on a given objective.

Recommendation:
The addition of a cmi.objectives.n.weight data model element would
give the ability to weight the progress and scores of a given
objective. This can be used by the SCO or reporting features of an
LMS to make an overall determination of success or completion on the
content as a whole.

Impacts:
Existing SCORM Content: None. Data model use optional

Existing SCORM LMS Impact: Implement the real (range -1…1) read/write
cmi.objectives.n.weight data model element for content that uses the
new feature

Aaron Silvers

Sep 7, 2010, 11:36:29 AM9/7/10
to CMI Harmonization, Jonathan Poltrack
- weighting should not necessarily be maintained in the SCO to support
reusability
- need to accomodate instructional designers

from Crispin Weston to All Participants:
I agree Jackie. I would say that the "objective" does not belong in
the content implementation at all. It is misnamed. It is some sort of
number/diagnostic/score that the content returns. But *reusable*
content does not *know* about the context/objective in which it is
applied.

from Crispin Weston to All Participants:
I agree with Vlad that content needs to be cross-referenced against
objective/competency frameworks - but this is a suggestive/ subjective
type of classification, which should not be hard-wired into the
implementation - and that means not applied to the runtime data model.

summary: general acknowledgement that the addition of the weight would
be useful
On Aug 31, 5:21 pm, Jonathan Poltrack