No way to determine the attempt number of a data model instance

Jonathan Poltrack

Aug 31, 2010, 5:21:01 PM8/31/10
to CMI Harmonization
In the SCORM environment, a data model instance is preserved during a
single attempt on the SCO. It is possible to start a new attempt when
a SCO is launched. This creates a new, initialized data model
instance. In this situation, it may be valuable for the content to
know that is the second attempt on the SCO. There is no current way
to distinguish this attempt number.

Recommendation:
The addition of a data model element would allow content to identify
the current attempt number. In the SCORM environment, this element
would be read only and managed by the LMS. Possible dot notation
binding: cmi.attempt_number

Impacts:
Existing SCORM Content: None. Data model use optional

Existing SCORM LMS Impact: Implement the integer, read-only
cmi.attempt_number data model element for content that uses the new
feature.

Aaron Silvers

Aug 31, 2010, 5:25:39 PM8/31/10
to CMI Harmonization, Jonathan Poltrack
Ethan Estes pointed out on the IdeaScale site that LETSI's Run-Time
Web Services group has this mod in the web service spec being worked
on.

Maybe Ethan can expand on this and, as he suggested, perhaps we look
to it for reference/starting point?

-a-

On Aug 31, 4:21 pm, Jonathan Poltrack

Estes Ethan

Aug 31, 2010, 6:14:05 PM8/31/10
to Aaron Silvers, CMI Harmonization, Jonathan Poltrack
I'll pull down the dev guide to explain it right. I'll post a summary tonight.
-EÆ

Estes Ethan

Aug 31, 2010, 10:15:11 PM8/31/10
to Aaron Silvers, CMI Harmonization, Jonathan Poltrack
https://docs.google.com/View?id=dcb7m9mj_132c2tx7fdv

scroll to "GetAttempt(attemptNumber)"

It does a better job of explaining it than i could.

-EÆ