No POST, no video, no nothing

db

Feb 13, 2002, 9:09:37 PM2/13/02
I just got a brand new Tiger MP S2460 with 512 MB PC2100 DDR ECC
Registered RAM, and 2 AMD Athlon 1800+ CPUs. There is an nVidia GeForce2
MV400 6M video card as well.

First problem: when it first booted, it said "1 CPU detected". So, I
powered off, opened the case, and made sure both CPUs where seated
properly. They seemed to be, so I rebooted.

Next problem: now, it will not boot. The power comes on, the hard drive
fires up, however there are no beeps, and no video. I cannot see or do
anything.

I have tried switching the chips, no luck. I have tried removing just
one, then the other chip, no luck.

I am at a total loss. I feel like I was just sold a completely dead
machine.

Any ideas?

db

db

Feb 13, 2002, 9:13:05 PM2/13/02
One other symptom: after powering up, I am unable to shut it off again.
I can press and hold the power button all day, and it never powers down.

db

Dan D.

Feb 13, 2002, 9:28:22 PM2/13/02
Double check your Header plugs. The manual is very confusing on this point,
but the board is marked, make sure your plugs are in the right spot. Look
for pin 1, marked on the board, then follow the diagram in the book
accordingly.

Dan D.

System Rig: http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=88798
RC5 Stats: http://stats.distributed.net/rc5-64/psummary.php3?id=376485
2cpu.com team RC5 stats:
http://stats.distributed.net/rc5-64/tmsummary.php3?team=16704

"db" <d...@null.net> wrote in message

db

Feb 13, 2002, 9:41:24 PM2/13/02
If be header plugs you mean the front panel connectors (speaker, power,
reset, etc.), I checked that. Several times. The manual -is- confusing
since the diagram it upside down.

How much can I remove from the motherboard just in order to check if it
boots? I have removed everything except video, and nothing appears on
the monitor.

db

db

Feb 13, 2002, 9:53:44 PM2/13/02
Turned out the Power switch header plug was reversed. I switched it, but
that didn't solve anything. I was able to power on/off with no CPUs
installed. I put one CPU in there, powered up, but then was unable to
power off again (plus no video, of course).

db

dave [BeginThread.com]

Feb 13, 2002, 10:51:09 PM2/13/02
You need Video, Processor, Ram

--
----
Dave

dave [BeginThread.com]

Feb 13, 2002, 10:50:53 PM2/13/02
Sounds like a bad processor.

If processor 1 is in by it's self, does it boot? Can you turn it off?
If processor 2 is in by it's self, does it boot? Can you turn it off?

db

Feb 14, 2002, 9:16:26 AM2/14/02
Processor 1, by itself, no boot, no beep, cannot turn off.

Processor 2, by itself, no boot, no beep, cannot turn off.

Both processors (in both positions), no boot, no beep, cannot turn off.

No processors, no boot, no beep, but -can- turn off.

Is it possible that -both- processors are bad? I double checked to make
sure the memory was in tight, and it is. I also tried different video cards
(AGP, PCI), no luck.

This is my first MP machine and I must say that right now it is about as
useful as a $2000 paper weight.

db

Palo

Feb 14, 2002, 2:04:13 PM2/14/02
I'm having exactly the same problem, and have already echanged the board
once. Now we think it might be the CPU. It's very strange to see all these
people having this problem, we can't all be doing something stupid can
we!!!!

"db" <d...@null.net> wrote in message

Alex Smariga

Feb 14, 2002, 4:02:08 PM2/14/02
And I'll ditto that. I've got a new S2466 that I cannot get to beep,
or even turn on. Tried 2 different cpu's, 2 different memory modules,
and 2 different video cards. Tearing my hair out at this point.

Alex

Joe Shmoe

Feb 15, 2002, 12:23:49 AM2/15/02
I went through the EXACT same thing... can't believe all the money I've
spent so far on RMAs, I have gone through 2 sets of MBs, 2 sets of RAM and
now have RMA'd the CPUs. I have had a $2000 boat-anchor since first week of
January, it's a humbling experience, makes you feel very stupid.

RMA'ing CPUs is no joke I found out, I bought mine from Tigerdirect where
you cannot get refund back on special order items, and it takes FOREVER to
get an RMA.

I feel for you guys....

Jack Anderson

Feb 15, 2002, 9:27:31 PM2/15/02
I had the same problems too, with 2 Tyan 2460 MBs.

It's no coincidence... it's the piece of shit Tyan board or the fragility of
the AMD chip. My 0.02 cents, - lets face it, there HAS to be a reason why
the AMDs are way cheaper than the Intels. Either Intel is overcharging and
the rest of the world is stupid enough not to notice the rip-off or AMDs
chips are very very fragile that they get damaged very easily, hence the
cheap cost.

My thoughts are that the dual Athlon competetion has changed with Asus and
soon to be Epox joining the race so, maybe we can use our choices and dump
this piece of crap Tyan 2460 piece of shit board.

Tyan not providing enough support and FAQs don't help either... they're too
busy making money.

he

Feb 15, 2002, 10:11:03 PM2/15/02
Just got an interesting E-mail form Tyan Tech support. It seems that the 12V
line in the power supply must be capable of supplying at least 30 amps of
current to start up the board. My 300 watt Antec (min. power rating
recommended by the manual) is only rated at 15 amps according to the data
plate on the power supply. Which isn't even close to their supposed minimum.
Now, they said that was the minimum for a S2460 board. I have a S2466, but
since their basically the same I suspect that minimum current requirement
applies to both the 2460 and 2466, I've got an E-mail into the to check on
that.

I'll have to go get a bigger power supply to check all this out, but if
anyone who is having this problem can test out the 30 amp theory, I'd like
to see your results.

Good Luck!

"Joe Shmoe" <j...@shmoe.com> wrote in message

dave [BeginThread.com]

Feb 18, 2002, 12:47:34 PM2/18/02
On the webpage for the Tyan boards it says that the 30a is a requirement for
all dual boards.

"he" <kase...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Andrew Palumbo

Feb 18, 2002, 6:21:11 PM2/18/02
I'm having the exact same problem on the tyan mpx I have a 430w power
suppluy with 18a 12v output. no beep, no video, no power led, but i
do have a hdd led.

FE

Feb 20, 2002, 11:31:57 AM2/20/02
I often see a refrence to a 30 amp requirement for the 5v line, but I
haven't seen one for the 12v line ,can you point that out?

dave [BeginThread.com]

Feb 20, 2002, 12:23:12 PM2/20/02
I don't think Tyan has one

"FE" <kase...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

jb

Feb 22, 2002, 11:26:51 PM2/22/02
I just got one from MonarchPC, it was already configured with 400Watt ps,
2 - 40gig HDs, cd-r, and dual MP1.5s. All ihad to do was unpack and load
winNt. Just less than $2000. I haven't done anything with other than load
OS, and drivers, but everthing seems to work OK. Just to give you some hope.
If you have rma'd and returned everything, you may want to check these
people out. Did take about 2 weeks to get it though.