Piracy

Stephan_De...@cup.portal.com

Nov 2, 1993, 6:24:44 AM11/2/93

So 2.8 pounds for the team.. GFX+Code+Music. Maybe 2
coder are needed... for a good game its near 1 year
of work.How many games need to be sold for that team
to make it?

Does this mean if shareware worked people could get
3 UKP game like projectx, frontier? Would people buy
/order those games or just get them and never pay...

Stephan.

Stephan_De...@cup.portal.com

Nov 2, 1993, 6:34:22 AM11/2/93

Very few people actually make it doing games... People
that really make money are distrubtor/software house

Beleive me , I'm amazed people are still doing amiga
games.I mean, you better comeup with the game of the year
or something to get a good return.

A game with retail of 60$ will bring 20 to 25$ to the
software house.A good game will need to sell ~5000 copies
just to come to level zero.

The US amiga game market is dead, so no luck there
for your return... I still dont know how a normal
amiga games in europe sell... I;m not talking pinball
phantsie or Projectx etc...

Stephan

Michel J. Brown

Oct 29, 1993, 1:53:58 AM10/29/93
In <93298.155...@TRMETU.BITNET>,
Nevermind! <A03...@TRMETU.BITNET> writes:

> I am a real pirate then.. All my casettes are copies, all my VCR are the same,
> also I have hundreds of C64 and ZX spectrum (and also PC) games. all pirated. c
> racked or distributed in a way. Yes I am a pirate but here (until recently) the
> re was no way to buy a C64 or something else's games. Now C64 is dead in Turkey
> just because there are no more pirated games. In the old (and good times) a C6
> 4 games was about 5000 TL (under $1/2) but now it costs about 100.000 TL (about
> $10 and here no school boy is capable of buying such expensive (and usually (no
> t always!)) games. Then think what happened... C64 dissapared off the market j
> ust in 3 months. Now everyone is trying to sell their C64s because Amiga games
> are still the same price (but again pirated... There is no law against Amiga Pi
> rating here. Only C64 makes the problem) and the games are really good when com
> pared to C64. So what.. I think piracy is good and I will die as a pirate. Neve
> r gonna buy something original. It won't worth....

Apparently, then, you don't mind if I steal from you, or my company steals
from yours, or my country steals from your country. Theft is theft is
theft. When I was in Turkey back in the mid 70's, theives that were caught
stealing had the offending hand removed publicly (so that as a good
Muslim, he would'nt offend Allah with a sinful body part). Maybe they
should remove the offending body part(s) of pirates, as they are theives,
too, like the head, or the eyes..."Thou shalt not steal"... is still a
good idea in my book, IMHO. Advocating stealing, and other morally
bankrupt philosophies are in violation of *all* religious, secular, and
societal codes. May God (Allah) forgive your childish delusions. Peace.

Virtually yours,
Michel

> Hakan Koseoglu
> A03...@vm.cc.metu.edu.tr
>
> 'ThE FaNaTiC'

__||__ The opinions expressed by this author
Michel_...@nesbbx.rain.COM __ __ are mine, and mine alone, and anybody
|| claiming any resemblance to ideations
|| on my part should be ashamed to admit
|| it publicly! God Bless, and BCNU!

Steve Schupp

Nov 5, 1993, 8:35:45 AM11/5/93

: >The CDROM game costs 5 pounds more (In UK I read this in amiga format, and they
: >seemed upset with this fact) than the floppy version !

: I would wait a bit. I think it's too early to judge the CD prices
: because the market is not that big at the moment.

Do I remember them saying the same thing about audio CD prices?? Here in
Australia the price has not dropped very much since the release of the cd.
I am a bit skeptical as far as companies drop their prices. If you have
to buy the CD, they have a captive market and can charge wot they feel
like - and if i was in that situation id put a very generous profit margin
on it!
I think wot Amiga Format is doing as far as coverdisk demo's of
programmes is really good - try b4 you buy is much better than buy and
get cheesed off, and decide to pirate the rest of your games.

Why dont companies offer demos of their wares, say $5 for a cut down
version, which could be refundable when you decide to buy the full
working copy.

just a thought!
Steve.