SCSBOA - Most bands moving to the WSMBC Circuit

Daveyboyee

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
A lot of the big bands that used to compete in the SCSBOA, are moving over to
the WSMBC (Western States Marching Band Conference) circuit.

WSMBC is quite different than the SCSBOA. WSMBC's main objective is to
introduce new standards to Marching Bands by bringing in judges from ALL around
the nation. Most of WSMBC's judges are also staffed judges for DCI (Drum Corps
International)

Many of Californias Successfull bands belong to WSMBC. The judging is very
positive, with very helpfull hints on how to improve. BEST PART IS that the
judging is very standard . . . meaning that most judges look for the same
thing. So if one judge gives you a suggestion, another will support that
suggestion. The judging is very fair and standardized.

David
Davey...@aol.com

Greg and Lisa Rochford

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
A lot of the big bands that used to compete in the SCSBOA, are moving
over to
> the WSMBC (Western States Marching Band Conference) circuit.
>
> WSMBC is quite different than the SCSBOA.
>
> David
> Davey...@aol.com

Do you know what SCSBOA is about? Why was it formed? What is it's
belief about marching band and marching band contests? What is it's
PRIMARY focus?

There is a BIG misconception among many people (sadly, among some band
directors too) that the primary role of the SCSBOA is to judge marching
band contests. This is as far from the truth is it can be. The SCSBOA
is NOT a marching band circuit, never has been, never will be. The
SCSBOA is a music educators service organization. The majority of the
members do not teach, nor judge, marching band, never have, never will.

I hope this clears up a few things.

Greg Rochford
Director of Instrumental Music
Chaparral Middle School

Member of SCSBOA since 1978
former Vice President of Elementary/Middle School Education

jackson

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
> The SCSBOA
>is NOT a marching band circuit, never has been, never will be.

so the organization that runs the MOST marching band competitions in
so.cal. is not a marching band circuit?

> The
>SCSBOA is a music educators service organization. The majority of the
>members do not teach, nor judge, marching band, never have, never will.

and this is why they choose to run the MOST marching band competitions in
so.cal.?

>I hope this clears up a few things.

if you mean that scsboa is not JUST a marching band circuit...well, that
makes sense...but that's not what you said.

Lee Bessey

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
SCSBOA does not run any street or field marching band competitions. It
is not a circuit. The organization provides judges to the competitions
which are run by the host school booster organizations.
Lee Bessey
THE CAMERA DUDE

Greg and Lisa Rochford

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Lee Bessey wrote:

> SCSBOA does not run any street or field marching band competitions. It
> is not a circuit. The organization provides judges to the competitions
> which are run by the host school booster organizations.
> Lee Bessey
> THE CAMERA DUDE

Lee is correct. The hosts/sponsors of field shows in Southern
California may choose anyone they want to judge their event. It may be
true that most hosts/sponsors choose to have SCSBOA judge their event,
but that does not mean the SCSBOA is a marching band circuit. They
provide a service to those who want it. Period.

As I stated previously, the Southern California School Band and
Orchestra Association (SCSBOA) is a music educators service
organization. (FYI, they judge more Concert Festivals than they do
field shows.)

Greg Rochford
Director of Instrumental Music
Chaparral Middle School

SCSBOA Member since 1978

former Vice President of Elementary/Middle School Education

Greg and Lisa Rochford

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
I agree with you. I just want people to understand the that the SCSBOA
is not driven by marching band. Total music education is the PRIMARY
focus of the organization. As far as being "too big and too slow to
adapt to the changes in the marching band field" maybe they are doing
what the majority of the bands are asking for. I don't argue that there
are bands that want to compete on a different level (ie: "national
standards") but not all do. Many are satisfied with providing a quality
musical experience for less money and less time commitment than is
needed to compete at that level. Just because SCSBOA chooses to offer
something different than WSMBC doesn't make them less progressive, just
progressive with a different, but still viable, agenda. I belive that
the fact that bands can choose to participate in SCSBOA, WSMBC, BOA, and
independently adjudicated contests is very positive. With more high
schools located in southern California than there are in most States,
it's good to have options.

BGRONROOS wrote:

> While it is true that SCBOA does not run any shows, the influence it provides
> is non the less great. SCBOA sets standard rules for competition, it provides
> the judges, and sets the criterea that will influence the top bands. The fact
> of the matter is that SCBOA has been too big and too slow to adapt to the
> changes in the marching band field, while a smaller group of progressive Band
> Directors have now moved in and has succesfuly put together the largest band
> contest ever in California. Not to say that WSMBC is a new kid on the block,
> we have enjoyed being member of our conferance for the past 15 years, but
> thanks to the scboa, many schools in Southern California have discovered the
> new way of thinking and running a conferance. SCBOA has a place, just like in
> the north we have the Northern California Band Dirctors Association, but for
> the more progressive bands that want to be on the cutting edge, I think WSMBC
> is the place to be

BGRONROOS

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99

jackson

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
In article <384166...@earthlink.net>, Greg and Lisa Rochford
<glr...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Lee Bessey wrote:
>>
>> SCSBOA does not run any street or field marching band competitions. It
>> is not a circuit. The organization provides judges to the competitions
>> which are run by the host school booster organizations.
>> Lee Bessey
>> THE CAMERA DUDE
>
>Lee is correct. The hosts/sponsors of field shows in Southern
>California may choose anyone they want to judge their event. It may be
>true that most hosts/sponsors choose to have SCSBOA judge their event,
>but that does not mean the SCSBOA is a marching band circuit. They
>provide a service to those who want it. Period.
>
>As I stated previously, the Southern California School Band and
>Orchestra Association (SCSBOA) is a music educators service
>organization. (FYI, they judge more Concert Festivals than they do
>field shows.)

thanks for quoting lee's post. i didn't get that off my server.

it still sounds a little semantical..."run" the comp, "sanction" the comp,
"provide criteria/judges/show protocol blah blah blah" for the comp.
doesn't scsboa list "scsboa" shows in their newsletter?

question:
if scsboa is NOT a circuit, does that remove all liability for the quality
of the show (and i don't mean parking or the snack bar)?

Ryan H. Turner

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
>A lot of the big bands that used to compete in the SCSBOA, are moving over to
>the WSMBC (Western States Marching Band Conference) circuit.

Right off the bat, this is a flawed statement, which shouldn't be used in
comparing SCSBOA to WSMBC. Now, before I unload, please know that I'm not the
biggest fan of SCSBOA, and have made that known at times in my career.
However, as I'm getting older and my perspective continues to grow, I think I
understand the SCSBOA mind det much better now. And Greg Rochford, you hit in
on the head.

But first the flawed statement...

I guess it comes down to how you define "a lot". The only bands that I am
aware of that have made a 100% jump from SCSBOA to WSMBC are Valley View,
Mission Viejo and Trabuco Hills. Fountain Valley has not totally left SCSBOA
and they never will as long as Gary Wampler is there. There are no other bands
in my vast database that have switched totally.

That means, some bands do both. In my last season with Fountain Valley, we did
FOUR. BOA, SCSBOA, WSMBC, and WGI. And as Greg Rochford said, yes, options
ARE nice.

The "standards" set forth by SCSBOA have changed over the years. I believe, if
I'm correct, that the changes started back with Wayne Nelson who is director at
Esperanza. I believe HE was the first to start the ball rolling on "caption
judging". (HISTORY LESSON: for those that care, there used to be a time when
there was 3 judges for SCSBOA at shows that judged music, marching, and general
effect SIMULTANEOUSLY!! That is, one judge judged all three at one
time....eeeek!!!).

SCSBOA took awhile, granted, but I felt better about them going to caption
judging. Now my beef with them is not so much them having different standards
then other organizations, but they don't train. I understand all you pro
SCSBOA'ers that it is IMPRACTICAL and logistically infeasible to train judges
if your a music educators association and NOT a judging organization like
WGASC, but still....it's strange to hear that as something that defines what
they do. Yes...SCSBOA does say that. They DON'T train their judges nor will
they.

I think SCSBOA is still doing the "right" thing by being a musical based
judging system....but....well, glad there are other choices....

Ryan H. Turner--Man w/NO life whatsover...and proud of it!!
MARCHING BAND, DRUM CORPS, WINTER GUARD FAN
VK DM 1986 and 1987
Show Design Consultant/Visual Consultant/Marching Instructor
911/Fire Dept Comm. Dispatcher...and a partridge in a pear tree!