Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Bernhard Baehr

ungelesen,
23.12.2000, 16:26:2123.12.00
an
I announce the availability of beta version 1.4.b1 of my simulator
for the DEC PDP-8/E minicomputer running on the Apple Macintosh.
The simulated machine is a PDP-8/E with 4K words of memory and
optionally a KM8-E Memory Extension (with up to 32K words of memory)
and a KE8-E Extended Arithmetic Element. I/O devices are implemented
as plugin modules, and plugins for an ASR 33 Console Teletype, an
ASR 33 Auxiliary Teletype, a PC8-E High Speed Paper Tape Reader and
Punch, a RK8-E Disk Cartridge System, a LP8-E Line Printer and
various types of Real Time Clocks are included in the distribution
of the simulator. There is also a KC8-EA Programmer愀 Console plugin
enabling the user to operate the simulator (nearly) like a hardware
PDP-8/E, including single step execution on memory cycle level.

The simulator is based on the PDP-8/E emulator of Bill Haygood. It
runs on 68K and Power Macintosh computers with System 2 to
Mac OS X Public Beta and on the Macintosh emulator vMac. The current
release is the first one with a Carbon version of the simulator that
natively runs on Mac OS X Public Beta. On current G4 Macs, the
simulated PDP-8/E runs about 20 times faster than a hardware PDP-8/E.
There are options to slow down the CPU and the I/O devices to the
speed of the real hardware. The simulator passes about 20 of the most
important MAINDEC hardware diagnostics for the PDP-8/E.

The simulator provides a comfortable user interface for running,
writing and debugging PDP-8 software. For each device, there is a
separate window which displays the internal state of the device.
The user can view and edit the PDP-8 memory content as octal dump,
assembler instructions and typed data (ASCII, integer, floating
point,...). Other features of the simulator are breakpoints, break
opcodes, single step execution, a trace mode for the PDP-8/E and
much more. The simulated ASR 33 teletypes provide all comfort of
Macintosh text editor windows, including "Drag&Drop" support.

The API for the I/O device plugin modules is documented and included
in the distribution of the simulator, as is the source code for an
example I/O device plugin. The API enables users of the PDP-8/E
Simulator to implement plugins for other PDP-8/E I/O devices and
use them with the simulator. The API is based on the C programming
language and it supports 68K and PowerPC ("fat") versions of the
I/O device plugins.

The PDP-8/E and the I/O devices can completely be controlled using
AppleScript.

There is no manual for the PDP-8/E Simulator, but the program has
full Balloon Help support, and there is a help window which gives
detailed information about the PDP-8 instruction set implemented by
the simulator and hints for operating the simulator.

A Macintosh version of the PAL compatible cross-assembler of
Douglas Jones is included in the simulator package, which makes
writing of PDP-8 software easier than ever before. The assembler
can be configured so that it, when a PAL source file is dropped
onto its Finder icon, assembles it, loads the error listing into an
editor and the binary program into the simulators PDP-8/E.

The simulator package includes some PDP-8 software, e. g. a complete
OS/8 system, FOCAL-8 and Pascal-S.

You can download the PDP-8/E Simulator from
http://home.t-online.de/~bernhard.baehr/pdp8e/pdp8e.html. The
simulator is published under the GNU General Public License, and
the source code is available, too.

Bernhard Baehr
bernhar...@gmx.de

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Roger Ivie

ungelesen,
23.12.2000, 17:23:1923.12.00
an
In article <92359p$n60$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Bernhard Baehr wrote:
>I announce the availability of beta version 1.4.b1 of my simulator
>for the DEC PDP-8/E minicomputer running on the Apple Macintosh.

Way cool. I'm running it on a dual G4 under 9.0.4; haven't tried
it under OS X yet.

I am having difficulty booting OS/8. My fuzzy brain came up with
this bootstrap:

0030/6743
0031/JMP 31

which I think is the one I've always used (it's been some time,
I admit; I've not had my system all together since a moved a
few years ago, so it's possible bitrot has set in). When I
try it under your emulator I get stuck in a loop between
0 and 7; 0 contains JMS 7 and 7 contains JMP 0.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong bootstrap?
--
Roger Ivie
TeraGlobal Communications Corporation

Bernhard Baehr

ungelesen,
24.12.2000, 06:18:3324.12.00
an
In article <slrn94a9l8...@server.newlogan.teraglobal>,

Your brain has skipped the skip instruction :-)
The complete boot code is

0027 6007 CAF / or operate the "Clear" key and start at 0030
0030 6743 DLAG
0031 6741 DSKP
0032 5031 JMP .-1

The simulator "knows" this (and other) boot codes on its own via
the menu item Simulator->Bootstrap Loader.

Bernhard

David Gesswein

ungelesen,
24.12.2000, 16:22:3724.12.00
an
In article <924m27$o9m$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Bernhard Baehr <bernhar...@gmx.de> writes:
> In article <slrn94a9l8...@server.newlogan.teraglobal>,
> ri...@teraglobal.com wrote:
>> I am having difficulty booting OS/8. My fuzzy brain came up with
>> this bootstrap:
>>
>> 0030/6743
>> 0031/JMP 31
>>

> Your brain has skipped the skip instruction :-)
> The complete boot code is
>
> 0027 6007 CAF / or operate the "Clear" key and start at 0030
> 0030 6743 DLAG
> 0031 6741 DSKP
> 0032 5031 JMP .-1

The DSKP shouldn't be needed. From the OS/8 paperback the RK8E bootstrap
is:
0030 6743 DLAG
0031 5031 JMP .
They do have you hit the clear key. The boot block overwrites the jump to
self with the rest of the bootstrap.

This is what I use on my 8/E.

David Gesswein
http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Old computers with blinkenlights

Bernhard Baehr

ungelesen,
24.12.2000, 19:37:3524.12.00
an
In article <xOt16.3762$6I.9...@news.abs.net>,

Sure, and this works perfectly on the simulator, too (haven´t tried
it yesterday). Maybe Roger has forgotten to give 8K (or more) of core
to the PDP-8 (via the Preferences settings - never was core memory
cheaper available). Trying to boot OS/8 on a 4K PDP-8 will fail, and
the simulator initially starts with a 4K PDP-8 without KM8-E.

Roger Ivie

ungelesen,
26.12.2000, 15:25:5226.12.00
an
In article <9264sf$n74$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Bernhard Baehr wrote:
>Maybe Roger has forgotten to give 8K (or more) of core
>to the PDP-8 (via the Preferences settings - never was core memory
>cheaper available). Trying to boot OS/8 on a 4K PDP-8 will fail, and
>the simulator initially starts with a 4K PDP-8 without KM8-E.

Bingo! That was the problem.

0 neue Nachrichten