LCD Monitor

Calvin R. Walker

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
Hello,
Does anyone use a LCD monitor when "flying" your flight sims? Is there
any degradation of quaility between LCD and CRT monitors? Is playing
easy on the eyes? Please post and email me.

Calvin

Foxbat

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
The problem with LCD is it only displays best on its designed
resolution(1024x768 for most LCD screens). Any other resolutions will cause
ugly artifacts. Furthermore, if you're using analog LCD screen which can be
used with any video boards, the biggest problem is the signal loss due to
the signal conversion (Analog to digital) and pixel sync problem makes it
worse than CRT even at its designed resolution. Analog LCD screen is also
pretty expensive. Digital LCD screen will be better and cheaper but you have
to have a video card that support digital flat panel interface. Only one I
saw is ATI rage pro chip which is pretty poor in 3D performance.

Foxbat

ayo

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99

Foxbat wrote:

> The problem with LCD is it only displays best on its designed
> resolution(1024x768 for most LCD screens). Any other resolutions will cause
> ugly artifacts. Furthermore, if you're using analog LCD screen which can be
> used with any video boards, the biggest problem is the signal loss due to
> the signal conversion (Analog to digital) and pixel sync problem makes it
> worse than CRT even at its designed resolution. Analog LCD screen is also
> pretty expensive. Digital LCD screen will be better and cheaper but you have
> to have a video card that support digital flat panel interface. Only one I
> saw is ATI rage pro chip which is pretty poor in 3D performance.
>
> Foxbat

Foxbat, as you seem pretty savvy about monitors and cards, I hope you can put me
right.
I'm waiting for the voodoo3 cards to come out and was wondering what the pros
and cons of using tv out are, instead of having a true computer monitor. The
cost of a 27" tv as opposed to a 21" monitor make it seem like a great way to
go. But, what kind of resolutions can a tv display? Will it have a bad case of
the jaggies? Will text be unreadable? etc.
If you have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
--
ayo

* the bells of hell go 'ding-a-ling-a-ling' for you, but not for me... *

Greg Pringle

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
>and cons of using tv out are, instead of having a true computer monitor.
The
>cost of a 27" tv as opposed to a 21" monitor make it seem like a great way
>go. But, what kind of resolutions can a tv display? Will it have a bad
case of
>the jaggies? Will text be unreadable? etc.
>If you have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
>thanks,

TV's can display something like 720 x 400. The best fit is to run 640 x
480 and adjust your driver settings until it fills the width and then either
have the top or bottom part of the screen cut off. One simulator
(Comanche) allowed you to set a special mode where it left black bars at the
top and bottom which helped out a lot.

I am using a big screen (53") all the time for gaming and it works pretty
good. Text is readable, picture quality is better than a monitor in some
ways since the jaggies are reduced. Having S-Video inputs on your TV is
almost a must, and I reccomend getting a separate box that plugs between
your video card and monitor to generate video out, the TV plug-ins on most
video cards is very poor. The newer boxes have buttons for adjusting screen
position, great idea.

Greg

--
Greg Pringle
Tailslide's Air Combat Site

ayo

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99

Greg Pringle wrote:

Thanks for the advice,
I was hoping this was possible now that video cards are more advanced.
53" sounds like heaven, but isn't the windows desktop etc. distorted?
What the heck, bigger is better, right?
thanks again,

ayo

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99

Greg Pringle wrote:

> Airsickness is a bit of a problem if you sit real close, but you get used
> to it 8 ) No, the desktop isn't distorted even at the edges, this may
> depend on your TV though. The worst part is having the top or bottom cut
> off but if you drag the taskbar up it helps keep everything on the screen.

> >What the heck, bigger is better, right?
>

> Imagine when those LCD TV's get cheap.. you'll get a 1280 x 1024
> TV/Monitor that you can hang on the wall.. mmmmm.

> Greg
>
> --
> Greg Pringle
> Tailslide's Air Combat Site
> http://tailslide.firelight.dynip.com

One last question :)
What make tv do you have? Its just that someone told me not to get a RCA, but
go for one with a trinitron tube. I'm sure there must be more of a selection
than that?
Cheers Greg

Greg Pringle

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
>Thanks for the advice,
>I was hoping this was possible now that video cards are more advanced.
> 53" sounds like heaven, but isn't the windows desktop etc. distorted?

Greg Pringle

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
ayo wrote in message <36E36932...@ix.netcom.com>...

>One last question :)
>What make tv do you have? Its just that someone told me not to get a RCA,
but
>go for one with a trinitron tube. I'm sure there must be more of a
selection
>than that?

No tube, It's actually a Sony rear projection big screen. It's not their
top of the line model, but it does have a S-Video input (sorry can't
remember model). Nice thing about the projection TV is the screen is
totally flat so there is not a lot of distortion. I hear Sharp has a nice
LCD projector for about half the price of a big screen but you have to use
it in a dark room. Haven't seen one in person, but the idea is you can
have up to a 100" picture depending on how far away from the wall/screen it
is. O'course sitting in front of it would cast a shadow 8 )

Also, S-Video cables are prone to interference. The longest you can get
is something like 12 feet without special ordering a sheilded one for
$60-$90 or so.

ayo

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99

Greg Pringle wrote:

Thanks,
I really do appreciate your time--
and thats a great site you have there, too! Never seen so much sim
cheers