Wine does not see any CUPS Printers :-(

Harald Jele

Aug 14, 2003, 3:12:23 AM8/14/03
I have an very old PC with a well working debian woody on it and wine
works fine with the cups printers while printing out through our
windows programs.

BUT:

on new linux pc installations wine does not recognize the cups
printers -- and I could not figure out why. The 'debugmsg +printer'
does not show any problems and cups actually print fine.
So who do people normaly fix cups problems like this ??
How to figure out why wine does not see the installed cups printers ??
Working with strace did not help -- and any windows program does
behave the same and different newer installations.
'wine -v' is '20030408'

Any help out there ??
Thanx

Harald

PS: dpkg -l | grep ^ii | grep cups says

ii cupsomatic-ppd 0.20010420-4 cups printer ppd's from
LinuxPrinting.org
ii cupsys 1.1.18-1woody2 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
server
ii cupsys-bsd 1.1.18-1woody2 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
BSD comman
ii cupsys-client 1.1.18-1woody2 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
client pro
ii cupsys-driver- 4.2.5-1woody2 Gimp-Print printer drivers for CUPS
ii libcupsys2 1.1.18-1woody2 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
libs
ii libqtcups2 2.0-4 Qt interface library for CUPS
ii qtcups 2.0-4 Qt front-end for CUPS.

Duane Clark

Aug 14, 2003, 4:20:17 PM8/14/03
Harald Jele wrote:
> I have an very old PC with a well working debian woody on it and wine
> works fine with the cups printers while printing out through our
> windows programs.
>
> BUT:
>
> on new linux pc installations wine does not recognize the cups
> printers -- and I could not figure out why. The 'debugmsg +printer'
> does not show any problems and cups actually print fine.
> So who do people normaly fix cups problems like this ??
> How to figure out why wine does not see the installed cups printers ??

Did you perhaps copy over either the windows directories or wine config
directory from the old install? A completely fresh install should find
the CUPS printers.

Wine figures out what CUPS printers are available from the file
/etc/printcap. Does that file look ok? Did you install the same wine
binaries as on the working machine or compile from scratch?

Some times the printing in Wine gets mucked up, and can be fixed by
manually deleting printing entries in a couple of Wine files. This
assumes that you can print from Linux with CUPS, and that Wine was
compiled with CUPS support.

Make sure to make a backup copy of these files before editing.

In the file windows/win.ini, delete the printer entries in the [devices]
and [windows] sections, but leave the headings.

In the ~/.wine/system.reg file, delete the entire sections, including
headers, that begin:
[System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Print\\Printers\\

Save the files, and then start any Wine program, and select print setup.
The CUPS printers should get configured.

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

Harald Jele

Aug 17, 2003, 2:34:56 PM8/17/03
Hi Duane Clark,

I always use the debian packages and I tried woody as well as sid
(stable and unstable). I do not have a /etc/printcap file. Not on the
working machine as also not on the non-working. Linking. the
printcap.cups to a printcap does not
help.
When starting I did a fresh wine install -- so I should have
everything like a virgine. No entries in the system.reg and not in the
win.ini -- and thats what I am not understanding. Normally the
winesystem writes this information while starting by reading the cups
information ...

But I recognized, that all my debian fellows have the same situation,
if they install everything new.
How can I find out, that wine is compiled with cups support when I am
using the debian files ??
Actually they must be -- otherwise also the older installations would
not print. Would they ??

Is there any printer switch when starting wine (like the debugmsg
class printer, which doesnot show any err-codes or hints) ??

Sorry about that -- but maybe I do not understand something here :-(

Harald

Harald Jele

Aug 19, 2003, 3:45:05 AM8/19/03
Hi there,

meanwhile I could figure out, that wine writes perfectly well printer
information in the system.reg file -- so that the Windows programs can
print
out.
But only, when I put the device information into the win.ini by hand.
So what.
Does anybody know, why wine does not trace the CUPS information when
starting and putting this into the win.ini ??

Sorry about that -- Harald

Duane Clark

Aug 19, 2003, 1:10:14 PM8/19/03

Well, when I said:
>>> Some times the printing in Wine gets mucked up...

that was exactly the problem I was thinking of; sometimes the
"automatic" installation of CUPS printers doesn't work right. It is a
longstanding Wine bug.