How I found out I was furry

1 view

Pyesetz the Dog

Apr 12, 2004, 1:15:05 AM4/12/04
In another thread, Dark Abydos Myrrh wrote:
>Pyesetz wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll stick to the fish variety of subroutines... bluegill!
>>
>> I could tell a story about the only fish I ever did battle with, but
>> it's quite violent and some furs may be offended. I ate him for dinner
>> in the end.
>
>LOL violent with a fish?? That's just scary...

Well, I've resolved never to let a furry story pass by without writing it
down, so I wrote this one down. Because of its intended audience, it came
out rather differently than when I have previously told it, with more
emphasis on the furry aspects -- a lot more. It's on my website, with the
name "My Fish Story". I put it under the Autobiographical Sketches
heading, which arguably makes the violence even harder to take.

Could somefur preview this and determine whether it falls within the PG
guidelines for posting to this group?

Don't worry. I've never attacked an animal that weighed more than 20
pounds. You folks are all safe from me.

-- Pyesetz the Dog
http://www.pyesetz.furtopia.org

Smrgol -};>~

Apr 12, 2004, 11:33:22 PM4/12/04
Yep - It's a good story.

Thank you.

-};>~

Pyesetz the Dog

Apr 13, 2004, 1:45:49 AM4/13/04
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:33:22 +0000, Smrgol -};>~ wrote:
> Yep - It's a good story.

Okay, one dragon likes it, at least.

Furs who get queasy when thinking about hunting down their own dinners
should probably skip this. Also, those who would get bored with a story
that's over 50% unfurry.

My Fish Story

It was in the 20th century, when I was 10 years old and my brother was 12.
As adolescent boys sometimes do, he became enamored of the manly sport of
fishing and decided to try it. He got a pole, and a line, and hooks, and a
tackle box, and lead weights, and stuff. My grandmother had a house by the
shore. There was a pier where people fished.

For his first-ever fishing trip, Dad got him some worms and drove him to the
pier. I tagged along to see what this fishing thing was all about. Brother
put the lead weight and the hook on his line. Then he put the worm on the
hook -- or tried to. The worm had other ideas! It wanted to live; it did
not *want* to be the bait. Perhaps Brother had not expected this. He
struggled with the hook and worm for a while, and eventually managed to
skewer his finger with the hook. Happens all the time, but Brother had
_not_ expected this and was very embarrassed. Also, the hook was dirty and
it hurt a lot.

Dad cut the hook from the line and drove us back to Grandma's house, to see
if any of his tools would help remove the hook. But fishhooks are designed
not to come out, no matter how hard the fish tries to escape, so everything
Dad did just made it hurt more. Eventually Mom decided that medical
attention was required. Grandma's house was far from ours and was not where
she had lived when she had young children; we did not know any pediatricians
in this area. Grandma suggested the regional hospital, which was perhaps a
½-hour drive. So we all piled into the car and drove towards this hospital
that none of us had been to before, with Brother wincing at every bump and
trying to hide his finger so nobody could see how ridiculous it looked, with
a fishhook and some line stuck in it.

Since her son was in pain, Mom was agitated while driving. Grandma
suggested that this could be considered a medical emergency, with cause to
exceed the speed limit, so Mom gradually drove faster and faster.
Eventually we were flagged down by a police officer. Mom tried to explain
that her boy was in pain, and she had decided to drive him herself instead
of calling an ambulance, but the cop wasn't buying it. So I told my
brother, "Quick! Raise your finger so he can see it!" But Brother was
embarrassed and didn't want to. I grabbed his arm and raised the finger up
high. The policeman stared at it for a moment, then his demeanor changed.
He wanted to know why we were going to the far-away hospital instead of the
local infirmary. Well, because we didn't know about the infirmary! He
offered to lead us there, with his lights flashing. Mom agreed.

At the infirmary, there was a bit of a wait, then some med-tech came out and
removed the hook -- by pushing it all the way through the finger! Gee, Dad
could have done that with his tools at home. What we had needed the
med-tech for was her confidence that this was indeed the only way. I don't
exactly remember (this was many years ago), but perhaps some antibiotics
were prescribed as a prophylactic.

Time passed. Eventually Brother gathered enough courage for another try at
fishing. More worms. Another drive to the pier. I tagged along again.
This time Brother forcefully installed the bait on the hook, while ignoring
its wormy feelings, and was successful. He fished for a while, and caught
something. It was a gigantic fish! Everbody at the pier was calling it a
"fluke", which I thought then was a species of fish, but actually they were
talking about how unlikely it was that Brother -- on his first real try --
would catch something so much bigger than what everybody else was getting.
Actually it was a flounder. It weighed a few pounds. It was a decent-sized
fish, a giant only in comparison with other fish from that pier.

Dad cut the fish from the line. Brother held the fish, but it wriggled out
of his hands and started fishtailing across the pier, heading back towards
the water. It wanted to *live*! I grabbed the fish before it could jump
off the pier, and held it firmly in my, um, paws? Suddenly there were two
of me. There was the little-boy me and there was the animal me. We were
different, but we were in agreement that the fish must not escape.
Animal-me was very strong and (it seemed) effortlessly exerted steady muscle
pressure so the fish could not jump out of our grasp.

The animal me seemed furry, especially in the head area. Perhaps I thought
momentarily of Eddie Munster, the werewolf boy, because he was sometimes
furry and had a widow's peak, as did I then. When I look back on it now,
the idea of holding a fish in one's paws seems very ursine, but at the time
it felt like the most natural thing in the world to be doing.

Other people came to look at Brother's fish in my hands, and I talked to
them, which distracted me. I loosened my grip and the fish jumped. I
grabbed it in midair, in what seemed to me the fastest move I had ever made
up to that time. I gripped the fish tightly again, but my finger-muscles
were getting tired. I had been lucky once, but if the fish jumped again,
that could be the end. Since there were people watching, I self-consciously
talked to the fish: "You're not going anywhere! You are _dinner_!" I
walked over to a fencepost on the pier and whacked the fish's head against
it, thinking that would knock it out like on TV. It continued to struggle.

I was starting to get worried that my dinner would escape. I got angry. I
no longer cared about the people watching. It was just me and the fish. I
spoke to it again, saying something like, "Did you hear me? YOU ARE
_DINNER_!" I did a little roundhouse thing and slammed the fish's head
against the fencepost with everything I had, which -- being geeky and ten
years old -- wasn't much. The fish stayed still for a time, perhaps a
minute. I examined its head. No sign of broken bones, no bodily fluids
oozing. I had barely scratched it. Eventually it started wriggling again,
but weakly. This could be a problem. I must not lose my kill! Yes, *my*
kill. Brother had caught it, but he seemed to have no interest in killing
it.

I walked toward where Dad was talking to some other fisherman, and said
"What a spunky fish! How are we going to kill this thing?" I was conscious
of the fishermen looking at boy-me and animal-me, walking along with a
wriggling fish in our hands/paws, but again it seemed the most natural thing
in the world, and even something to be proud of, having just demonstrated
murderous rage towards a fish in front of a bunch of strangers.

The other fishermen suggested putting the fish in a bucket of water and
taking it home, so we did. But the water revived the fish and it jumped out
of the bucket, so we dumped the water and put it in a dry bucket. By the
time we got home, it was dead.

So we had this dead fish, and of course it had to be eaten for dinner.
Cleaning the fish became Grandma's problem. I stayed with her in the
kitchen as she worked on the fish, because fish-cleaning suddenly seemed
like something I should know about, although I usually had little interest
in cooking. She was not happy. Why did it have to be *her* job to clean
the fish? I explained that no one else in the family knew how to do it, and
asked her various questions, like "What would happen if you didn't remove
all the scales before cooking?"

The fish was baked and served. Sister, who generally wasn't fond of fish,
exclaimed that it was the best fish she'd ever had, presumably because it
was also the freshest. Grandma asked Brother to speak about his day, but he
gave only an unemotional statement of his fishing experience. I continued
his story, but when I got to the murderous-rage part, Brother seemed to lose
interest in his dinner. Mom suggested that maybe I was bragging too much
about my rôle. "What's to brag?" I asked. "I got nowhere trying to kill
this guy," while pointing to the skinless boneless white thing on my fork.
Dad thought that maybe "killing" wasn't suitable dinnertime conversation.
"Shouldn't we honor our dinner?" I asked. I talked to my fork: "You were an
honorable fish!" I put the fishmeat in my mouth. Brother seemed quite
uncomfortable.

Brother never fished again, and passed away many years later. Perhaps, in
his readings and his watching of TV shows about fishing, he had failed to
realize that <it>the fish does not want to be eaten</it>, and will do
anything it can to avoid being your dinner. When the time came, he was not
prepared to fight with the fish for its life. Unexpectedly, I was.

Now I have a boy of my own. Five years old, almost six. He has always
reminded me of my brother. Last year he wanted a fishing pole for that
December holiday. I wouldn't get him one. Now his birthday is coming up
and he wants a fishing pole again. What should I do? He's still so young.
I've never seen him kill anything, not even an ant.

Skytech

Apr 13, 2004, 8:17:04 PM4/13/04
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:33:22 +0000, Smrgol -};>~ wrote:
> > Yep - It's a good story.
>
> Okay, one dragon likes it, at least.

*Psst, kirin not dragon!*

Smrgol -};>~

Apr 13, 2004, 11:10:42 PM4/13/04
> Okay, one dragon likes it, at least.

*grin* A Kirin actually. And I knew nothing about Kirin when I discovered
Furry.

I have always had an affinity for both hoofed animals and dragons. I didn't
know the Kirin existed until I mentioned my affinities during a chat in #alf
and someone said "Oh, you must be a Kirin then." After that, I started
finding Kirin stuff all over the place.

-};>~

Pyesetz the Dog

Apr 14, 2004, 1:15:12 AM4/14/04
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:10:42 +0000, Smrgol -};>~ wrote:
>> Okay, one dragon likes it, at least.
> *grin* A Kirin actually.

Silly me! And I had just looked at all those pictures of you with a
furry unicorn head at cons. There's just so much to know!

That's Nuh Wolf

Apr 15, 2004, 1:07:01 AM4/15/04
In another thread, "Scratch the Badger" (a.k.a. well, you know) wrote:
> Your fish story bothered'd me. It seem'd to imply that your brother died
> due to lack of fishing skills. Mainly based on the way you chose to
> juxtapose the two concepts in a paragraph.

I can probably just delete the "He passed away" sentence. I added it only
to deal with the question, "How do you know he won't take up fishing again
in his old age?"

Any other bothersome elements? The first half of the story is overlong.
The "Sister" character has very little to say. (Some day I should ask her
what happened to the pictures of Brother holding his fish; she probably
has them.)

§ńühwřŁf

Apr 15, 2004, 10:17:39 AM4/15/04
That's Nuh Wolf <pye...@comcast.net> wrote in
<pan.2004.04.15....@comcast.net>:

>In another thread, "Scratch the Badger" (a.k.a. well, you know) wrote:
>> Your fish story bothered'd me. It seem'd to imply that your brother
died
>> due to lack of fishing skills. Mainly based on the way you chose to
>> juxtapose the two concepts in a paragraph.
>
>I can probably just delete the "He passed away" sentence. I added it
only
>to deal with the question, "How do you know he won't take up fishing
again
>in his old age?"

Ah. Well you see how the reader can get confused. Nice nym btw...

>Any other bothersome elements? The first half of the story is overlong.

I agree. A build up to a pay off should be concise enough not to
introduce too many distracting elements.

>The "Sister" character has very little to say. (Some day I should ask
her
>what happened to the pictures of Brother holding his fish; she probably
>has them.)

This is from a real life experience then? It seemed like it might, but
also not. BTW, your "Green Box" is pretty good except I take exception to
the punchy short sentence structure of the narrative. "I did this ...I
saw this... I smelled this" etc. It left me wanting chapter two also.
Whats the big secret? Does he escape?

King Snuhw()1f

Pyesetz the Dog

Apr 16, 2004, 12:17:49 AM4/16/04
Snuhwolf wrote:

>Nice nym btw...
On SlashDot it's considered lame to reply to one's own post, so I took a
pseudonym to claim that I was posting on your behalf.

>That's Nuh Wolf (pye...@comcast.net) wrote:
>>Any other bothersome elements? The first half of the story is overlong.
>
>I agree. A build up to a pay off should be concise enough not to
>introduce too many distracting elements.

You don't argue with The Muse if you want a good story out of him, so I
wrote it all down. Maybe I'll wait a year and then see if I can prune the
first half a bit.

>>The "Sister" character has very little to say. (Some day I should ask
>>her what happened to the pictures of Brother holding his fish; she probably
>>has them.)
>
>This is from a real life experience then?

Why does this comment make you think it's real, but all my other "It
really happened!" protestations didn't?

Part of the "Fish Story" meme is that the events will be exaggerated, and
accompanied by many protestations of truth, but there will never be any
confirming evidence for the hard-to-believe elements. Pictures of Brother
holding his fish do exist, but (as far as I know) there is no one currently
alive who can confirm the bashing-fishhead-against-fencepost part of the
story, nor will anyone come forward to say that I once looked to them like a
were-dog in their second sight.

> your "Green Box" is pretty good

You are the first person in the history of the universe to express that
opinion. Everybody else has always said, "What the Hell *IS* this?"

As you may recall, I once told Dave the <adjective> Hyena that he wouldn't
like that story, but it was not on the web at that time.

> I take exception to the punchy short sentence structure of the narrative.

Yup. As stated, this was my first attempt to capture a dream, so I used a
restrictive grammatical form: just simple-present verbs throughout. I
suppose it gets tiresome after a while.

> "I did this ...I saw this... I smelled this" etc. It left me wanting
> chapter two also.

I'm not sure why the "punchy sentence structure" left you "wanting chapter
two also". How do these thoughts combine into one paragraph?

> Whats the big secret? Does he escape?

I don't know. Dreams are like that; they don't have endings.

--Pyesetz the Dog

Warren Forest

Apr 16, 2004, 3:43:45 AM4/16/04
"Pyesetz the Dog" <pye...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > your "Green Box" is pretty good
>
> You are the first person in the history of the universe to express that
> opinion. Everybody else has always said, "What the Hell *IS* this?"

Actually, in the comment that I'd posted on your site that got eaten by the
internet underpants gnomes I'd complimented it too, so make that 2. ;-)

--
Warren Forest, Canis Lupus Arctos - The Canadian Arctic Wolf
FCW3a A- C D++ H+ M- P+ R+ T++++ W Z- Sm#

§ńühwřŁf

Apr 16, 2004, 11:16:06 AM4/16/04
<pan.2004.04.16....@comcast.net>:

>Snuhwolf wrote:
>
>>Nice nym btw...
>On SlashDot it's considered lame to reply to one's own post, so I took a
>pseudonym to claim that I was posting on your behalf.

Buh.

>>That's Nuh Wolf (pye...@comcast.net) wrote:
>>>Any other bothersome elements? The first half of the story is
overlong.

>>I agree. A build up to a pay off should be concise enough not to
>>introduce too many distracting elements.
>
>You don't argue with The Muse if you want a good story out of him, so I
>wrote it all down. Maybe I'll wait a year and then see if I can prune
the
>first half a bit.

Yuh.

>>>The "Sister" character has very little to say. (Some day I should ask
>>>her what happened to the pictures of Brother holding his fish; she
probably
>>>has them.)
>>
>>This is from a real life experience then?
>
>Why does this comment make you think it's real, but all my other "It
>really happened!" protestations didn't?

Auh?

>Part of the "Fish Story" meme is that the events will be exaggerated,
and
>accompanied by many protestations of truth, but there will never be any
>confirming evidence for the hard-to-believe elements. Pictures of
Brother
>holding his fish do exist, but (as far as I know) there is no one
currently
>alive who can confirm the bashing-fishhead-against-fencepost part of the
>story, nor will anyone come forward to say that I once looked to them
like a
>were-dog in their second sight.

Because they base their observations on quatifiable events?

>> your "Green Box" is pretty good
>
>You are the first person in the history of the universe to express that
>opinion. Everybody else has always said, "What the Hell *IS* this?"

I want to know the symbolism of the box.

>As you may recall, I once told Dave the <adjective> Hyena that he
wouldn't
>like that story, but it was not on the web at that time.

Daves not here...

>> I take exception to the punchy short sentence structure of the
narrative.

>Yup. As stated, this was my first attempt to capture a dream, so I used
>restrictive grammatical form: just simple-present verbs throughout. I
>suppose it gets tiresome after a while.

Yes. It does.

>> "I did this ...I saw this... I smelled this" etc. It left me wanting
>> chapter two also.
>
>I'm not sure why the "punchy sentence structure" left you "wanting
chapter
>two also". How do these thoughts combine into one paragraph?

I liked the atmosphere and the story line but not the form in which it
was presented?
A good story is still agood story even if told in fits & starts.

>> Whats the big secret? Does he escape?
>
>I don't know. Dreams are like that; they don't have endings.

Bummer. I as hoping for a THX1138 type ending ;)

King Snuhw()1f

Pyesetz the Dog

Apr 17, 2004, 12:24:50 AM4/17/04
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:43:45 +0000, Warren Forest wrote:
> "Pyesetz the Dog" <pye...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>Snuhwolf wrote:
>>> your "Green Box" is pretty good
>>
>> You are the first person in the history of the universe to express that
>> opinion. Everybody else has always said, "What the Hell *IS* this?"
>
> Actually, in the comment that I'd posted on your site that got eaten by the
> internet underpants gnomes I'd complimented it too, so make that 2. ;-)

Man, I've gotta get that comment board fixed. Maybe I should switch from
sparklit to something else?

So now the Green Box has two compliments, yet I still don't want to give
it a gold star. Maybe I should invent a ½-gold/½-black star to mean "has
received some compliments, but panned by most"?

>> On SlashDot it's considered lame to reply to one's own post

> ...eaten by the internet underpants gnomes...

1. Write a story.
2. Mention it on ALF.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

In Soviet Russia, Furry finds YOU!

Pyesetz the Dog

Apr 17, 2004, 12:33:24 AM4/17/04
Snuhwolf wrote:

>Pyesetz wrote:
>>You are the first person in the history of the universe to express that
>>opinion. Everybody else has always said, "What the Hell *IS* this?"
>>
>I want to know the symbolism of the box.

Speaking off-the-cuff out of the top of my hat, I'd say that the box
represents Brad's attempt to survive his own death by creating an electronic
machine that continues to impose his will on the world after he's gone. But
this explanation doesn't match the story's plot at all.

>>I once told Dave the <adjective> Hyena that he wouldn't like that story
>>

>Daves not here...

I note that you have made no reply to that nice young fellow who started the
"Nuh, Canada" thread. Do you think he is an imposter?

>>> Whats the big secret? Does he escape?
>>
>>I don't know. Dreams are like that; they don't have endings.
>>
>Bummer. I as hoping for a THX1138 type ending ;)

Not sure I follow. According to
http://www.movie-page.com/scripts/THX-1138.txt
The ending is
THX climbs out of the hatchway and stands shielding his eyes from the sun.

§ńühwřŁf

Apr 17, 2004, 10:48:42 AM4/17/04
<pan.2004.04.17....@comcast.net>:

>Snuhwolf wrote:
>>Pyesetz wrote:
>>>You are the first person in the history of the universe to express
that
>>>opinion. Everybody else has always said, "What the Hell *IS* this?"
>>>
>>I want to know the symbolism of the box.
>
>Speaking off-the-cuff out of the top of my hat, I'd say that the box
>represents Brad's attempt to survive his own death by creating an
electronic
>machine that continues to impose his will on the world after he's gone.
But
>this explanation doesn't match the story's plot at all.

Whys he trying to impose his will on the world?

>>>I once told Dave the <adjective> Hyena that he wouldn't like that
story

>>Daves not here...
>
>I note that you have made no reply to that nice young fellow who started
the
>"Nuh, Canada" thread. Do you think he is an imposter?

Nope...I replied in email.

>>>I don't know. Dreams are like that; they don't have endings.
>>>
>>Bummer. I as hoping for a THX1138 type ending ;)
>
>Not sure I follow. According to
> http://www.movie-page.com/scripts/THX-1138.txt
>The ending is
> THX climbs out of the hatchway and stands shielding his eyes from
the sun.

YES! I want the guy to escape from his mental hospital psycological re-
education camp. The whole *deal* with THX was that the main character
finally realises that theres another world out there; the natural world
and of course it symbolises man in a state of nature as opposed to man in
a state of societal enslavement.
:)

King Snuhw()1f

Dan Skunk

Apr 17, 2004, 12:39:20 PM4/17/04
> You don't argue with The Muse if you want a good story out of him, so I
> wrote it all down. Maybe I'll wait a year and then see if I can prune the
> first half a bit.

I don't find the first half too long. It introduces the characters and sets
the context of the rest of the story.

Pyesetz the Dog

Apr 17, 2004, 12:56:53 PM4/17/04
Snuhwolf wrote:
>Pyesetz the Dog <pye...@comcast.net> wrote
>>the box represents Brad's attempt to survive his own death by creating an
>>electronic machine that continues to impose his will on the world after
>>he's gone.
>
>Whys he trying to impose his will on the world?

He's a control freak.

>YES! I want the guy to escape from his mental hospital psycological re-
>education camp. The whole *deal* with THX was that the main character
>finally realises that theres another world out there; the natural world
>and of course it symbolises man in a state of nature as opposed to man in
>a state of societal enslavement. :)

Sounds like a furry thing to want.

Pyesetz the Dog

Apr 17, 2004, 1:07:33 PM4/17/04
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:39:20 +0000, Dan Skunk wrote:
> I don't find the first half too long. It introduces the characters and
> sets the context of the rest of the story.

Thanks, Mr. Skunk! I like this newsgroup. Furs keep complimenting me on
my writing. It's so much better than at my dayjob, where the people who
once liked my writing have long since quit.

Now if only I could paid for this somehow. I know! I'll make recordings
of myself reading my stories and sell them at FurCons! I'll set up a
computer with lots of headphones and get furs to listen to "free samples".
Every time they laugh, I'll remind of how little it would cost to bring
the magic home with them. Hmm. Maybe it would be too much work. Maybe
not enough furs would laugh and I'd get depressed. If I don't try, I
can't fail -- that seems like a safer approach. I like safety.

Dan Skunk

Apr 17, 2004, 2:24:50 PM4/17/04
Looking at your [Pyesetz] website is kinda making me want to write more of
my own stories.

I just have so many ideas, it's hard to find somewhere to start.

If you can stretch these stories out into entertaining novels, you might
have a better chance of making money off them.

Are there any furry periodicals out there that would pay for short stories?

Pyesetz the Dog

Apr 17, 2004, 3:17:17 PM4/17/04
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:24:50 +0000, Dan Skunk wrote:
> Looking at your [Pyesetz] website is kinda making me want to write more of
> my own stories.

*Head explodes from too many compliments*

> If you can stretch these stories out into entertaining novels, you might
> have a better chance of making money off them.
>
> Are there any furry periodicals out there that would pay for short
> stories?

Maybe, but I don't know of any. The market for cartoons is much better
developed.

Arguably one could make a book out of a collection of unrelated furry
short stories from different authors. This used to be the standard way to
publish science fiction.

I can imagine trying to hawk such a thing at cons, but online sales seem
very iffy. People expect to just read the text online, rather than paying
to have the words shipped to them.

Perhaps con attendees would like to buy a book of non-yiffy stories they
can put on their coffee-table as a mememto, along with the usual yiffy
stuff that they hide in their closet when non-furs come to visit.

? the Platypus {aka David Formosa}

Apr 18, 2004, 5:51:47 AM4/18/04
"Pyesetz the Dog" <pye...@comcast.net> writes:

[...]

> Could somefur preview this and determine whether it falls within the PG
> guidelines for posting to this group?

It definitly falls within the guidelines for posting to this group.

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
Free the Memes.

§ńühwřŁf

Apr 18, 2004, 10:20:40 AM4/18/04
<pan.2004.04.17....@comcast.net>:

>Snuhwolf wrote:
>>Pyesetz the Dog <pye...@comcast.net> wrote
>>>the box represents Brad's attempt to survive his own death by creating
an
>>>electronic machine that continues to impose his will on the world
after
>>>he's gone.
>>
>>Whys he trying to impose his will on the world?
>
>He's a control freak.

I didnt notice that aspect. How can one impose ones will on others from
the confines of a mental hospital?

>>YES! I want the guy to escape from his mental hospital psycological re-
>>education camp. The whole *deal* with THX was that the main character
>>finally realises that theres another world out there; the natural world
>>and of course it symbolises man in a state of nature as opposed to man
in
>>a state of societal enslavement. :)
>
>Sounds like a furry thing to want.

Sounds like a human thing to want :)

King Snuhw()1f

Pyesetz the Dog

Apr 18, 2004, 12:04:14 PM4/18/04
Snuhwolf wrote:
>Pyesetz the Dog <pye...@comcast.net> wrote
>>Snuhwolf wrote:
>>>Pyesetz the Dog <pye...@comcast.net> wrote
>>>
>>>Whys he trying to impose his will on the world?
>>
>>He's a control freak.
>
>I didnt notice that aspect.

Old Brad is trying to control New Brad. He has controlled his doctor, to
protect the secret. His relationship with Nurse Donna is unclear in this
short story, but it seems there are some dominance issues.

>How can one impose ones will on others from the confines of a mental
>hospital?

I've never been to one, but apparently one of the main concerns when
designing the management structure for a mental hospital is to avoid allowing
the patients to take over. Crazy people will say anything to get control!

The fact that Brad seems to have had some success (getting the run of the
hospital, etc.) suggests that there really is a secret, so the hospital is
afraid to use its usual subjugation techniques on Brad.

>>>of course it symbolises man in a state of nature as opposed to man
>>>in a state of societal enslavement. :)
>>
>>Sounds like a furry thing to want.
>>
>Sounds like a human thing to want :)

Well, it's not surprising that you want something human. But wanting
something furry is more interesting, since you sometimes seem unsure that
you're a real fur and actually have on-topic things to say in this group.

§ńühwřŁf

Apr 19, 2004, 10:22:55 AM4/19/04
<pan.2004.04.18....@comcast.net>:

>Snuhwolf wrote:
>>Pyesetz the Dog <pye...@comcast.net> wrote

>>>He's a control freak.
>>
>>I didnt notice that aspect.
>
>Old Brad is trying to control New Brad. He has controlled his doctor,
>protect the secret. His relationship with Nurse Donna is unclear in
this
>short story, but it seems there are some dominance issues.

Ah...it was the unclear part that threw me...

>>How can one impose ones will on others from the confines of a mental
>>hospital?
>
>I've never been to one, but apparently one of the main concerns when
>designing the management structure for a mental hospital is to avoid
allowing
>the patients to take over. Crazy people will say anything to get
control!

Those bastards! We must send them to re-education camps comrade...

>The fact that Brad seems to have had some success (getting the run of
the
>hospital, etc.) suggests that there really is a secret, so the hospital
is
>afraid to use its usual subjugation techniques on Brad.

He knows something the government wants him to divulge...got it.
They must not be very skilled interrogators then.

>>>Sounds like a furry thing to want.
>>>
>>Sounds like a human thing to want :)
>
>Well, it's not surprising that you want something human. But wanting
>something furry is more interesting, since you sometimes seem unsure
that
>you're a real fur and actually have on-topic things to say in this
group.

I'm sure I'm not a fur. Or a "were". I'm just a simple man, no judge of
men...yasassin...I walk, without a sound...yasassin -David Bowie, Lodger
CD.

King Snuhw()1f

Pyesetz the Dog

Apr 19, 2004, 12:22:33 PM4/19/04
Snuhwolf wrote:
>I'm sure I'm not a fur. Or a "were". I'm just a simple man, no judge of
>men...yasassin...I walk, without a sound...yasassin -David Bowie, Lodger
>CD.

But what did Bowie mean when he said that?

Does "yasassin" mean "hashish-smoker" in Arabic?

Dave The Hatfull Hyena

Apr 20, 2004, 5:14:09 AM4/20/04
"Pyesetz the Dog" <pye...@comcast.net> shall never vanquished be
until great Birnam wood to high alt.lifestyle.furry. hill shall come
against him.

>Snuhwolf wrote:
>>I'm sure I'm not a fur. Or a "were". I'm just a simple man, no judge of
>>men...yasassin...I walk, without a sound...yasassin -David Bowie, Lodger
>>CD.
>
>But what did Bowie mean when he said that?
>
>Does "yasassin" mean "hashish-smoker" in Arabic?

Are you dumb? Do you not know the source of the word Assasain?

"hashishin one who has drunk of the hashish. Under its influence the
Assassins of the East, followers of the Shaikh al-Jabal (Old Man of
the Mountain), were said to commit the murders required by their
chief.] One who kills, or attempts to kill, by surprise or secret
assault; one who treacherously murders any one unprepared for
defense."

---
"My men have a disease of the heart which can only be assuaged by
gold"- Hernan Cortez

§ńühwřŁf

Apr 20, 2004, 10:35:48 AM4/20/04
Dave The Hatfull Hyena <dsa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
<4084e9df...@news.individual.net>:

Where'd you find the def's? I typed "yasassin" into g00gle and got a link
to some forum about David Bowie...

King Snuhw()1f

Pyesetz the Dog

Apr 20, 2004, 12:19:54 PM4/20/04
Dave The Hatfull Hyena <dsa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
>"Pyesetz the Dog" <pye...@comcast.net> shall never etc:

>>Snuhwolf wrote:
>>>I'm sure I'm not a fur. Or a "were". I'm just a simple man, no judge
>>>of men...yasassin...I walk, without a sound...yasassin -David Bowie,
>>>Lodger CD.
>>
>>But what did Bowie mean when he said that?
>>Does "yasassin" mean "hashish-smoker" in Arabic?
>
>Are you dumb? Do you not know the source of the word Assasain?

No, I was just playing dumb/making a lame joke. Actually, "yasassin"
(usually spelled with four s's) is Turkish for "long live". But what does
*that* mean in the song?

>"hashishin one who has drunk of the hashish. Under its influence the
>Assassins of the East, followers of the Shaikh al-Jabal (Old Man of
>the Mountain), were said to commit the murders required by their
>chief.] One who kills, or attempts to kill, by surprise or secret
>assault; one who treacherously murders any one unprepared for
>defense."

Thank you, Dave, although I actually did know that (I used to edit an
encyclopedia in my dayjob). This has got to be one of your most informative
posts ever. Too bad it's off-topic.

Snuhwolf wrote:
>Where'd you find the def's? I typed "yasassin" into g00gle and got a link
>to some forum about David Bowie...

Try "yassassin". You get lots more hits.

Big Red Helmut

Apr 20, 2004, 6:30:31 PM4/20/04

<pan.2004.04.20....@comcast.net>:

>Dave The Hatfull Hyena <dsa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
>>>
>>>But what did Bowie mean when he said that?
>>>Does "yasassin" mean "hashish-smoker" in Arabic?
>>
>>Are you dumb? Do you not know the source of the word Assasain?
>
>No, I was just playing dumb/making a lame joke. Actually, "yasassin"
>(usually spelled with four s's) is Turkish for "long live". But what
does
>*that* mean in the song?

The album cover mentioned that in the liner notes, S1zZl3 cH3s7.