vmware and slackware 9.1

1 view

Marc Benstein

Oct 14, 2003, 12:09:38 PM10/14/03
Has anyone seen a howto for a windows vmware to host slackware 9.1?

Neo

Oct 14, 2003, 12:13:03 PM10/14/03
"Marc Benstein" <tsa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Has anyone seen a howto for a windows vmware to host slackware 9.1?

Why would you need a howto? You just install as normal,.except to a virtual
machine

TKG

Oct 14, 2003, 3:34:10 PM10/14/03
Neo wrote:

There will be some trouble in getting vmware-tools installed.

--
TKG

Jurgen Philippaerts

Oct 14, 2003, 4:24:24 PM10/14/03

Jacques

Oct 14, 2003, 4:59:05 PM10/14/03
Marc Benstein wrote:
> Has anyone seen a howto for a windows vmware to host slackware 9.1?

- we have Windows 2000 at the office
and VMWare to do tests on Windows to not crash the normal one

- so I have installed Slackware 9.0 on a VMWare Linux session,
it is working well, and it is cool to have Linux at work
for the usual tools you do not have on Windows :-)

I installed it from the Slack 9 ISO image because VMWare can use an ISO
image instead of a real CD for the CDROM, you can also change the ISO
image during installation (proof : I did it when installing
Mandrake/3CDs on another VMWare session)

- the vmware-tools installed well too
creating a /mnt/hgfs directory where all the sharings are present

and you can also add some shared directories after Linux is started,
they are automatically recognized by vmware-tools
and added in /mnt/hgfs

- oh and by the way HGFS means:

HGFS = Host/Guest File System

for anyone who, like me, spent one hour to find it :-)

- oh I forgot: when you install Slackware,
do not use the default install kernel bare.i
choose another kernel: use scsi.s

as VMWare uses a SCSI driver to emulate the virual disk (cannot remember
which SCSI driver, but it is included in scsi.s)

- and XFree setup recognized the VMWare graphic emulation
and proposed a VMWare virtual driver which is working well

Regards
Jacques

fil

Oct 15, 2003, 9:40:26 AM10/15/03
Marc Benstein wrote:

> Has anyone seen a howto for a windows vmware to host slackware 9.1?

I had this among my bookmarks, but I don't know whether or not it actually
works:

http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~jbyrne/vmware.htm

Marc Benstein

Oct 15, 2003, 10:38:47 AM10/15/03
Jacques wrote:
>> Has anyone seen a howto for a windows vmware to host slackware 9.1?

> - the vmware-tools installed well too

> creating a /mnt/hgfs directory where all the sharings are present
>
> and you can also add some shared directories after Linux is started,
> they are automatically recognized by vmware-tools
> and added in /mnt/hgfs
>

> - oh and by the way HGFS means:
>
> HGFS = Host/Guest File System

Thanks for your help. I was wondering about lilo as well. I usually
install lilo on the mbr. How should I with vmware?

Adams-Blake Co.

Oct 15, 2003, 10:40:30 AM10/15/03
fil wrote:

Before you spend the money for vmware take a look at Win4Lin. I've had it
for about a year now and it is solid as a rock... even more stable than Win
natural. Of course, you have to have a Win98 CD (does not work with XP) but
I'll bet you can get a W98 on e-Bay for five bucks (make sure you get the
unlocking code.) W4L is a PITA to install for Slack but there are plenty
of people who can help you through it (me included) and the instruction on
the Netraverse site are accurate.

Win4Lin costs about $80 which is far less than vmware. I hear great things
about vmware... and for $300 it SHOULD be great! I highly endorse W4L but
other than that I have zero connection with the company so usual
disclaimers apply.

Al

Jurgen Philippaerts

Oct 16, 2003, 1:20:28 AM10/16/03

/dev/rob0

Oct 16, 2003, 1:56:35 AM10/16/03
In article <2003101522...@anubis.is.traumatized.org>,

Jurgen Philippaerts wrote:
> some people use vmware to run linux, on linux :)

Did you ever try User-mode Linux? It doesn't have all the overhead of a
virtual machine, but yet has all the functionality. It's an excellent
security tool, better than chroot, and of course great fun as well. :)
--
/dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply