KB: Pipeline XSLT Transformations in .NET Applications

1 view

Oleg Tkachenko

Feb 25, 2003, 9:48:21 AM2/25/03
Hello!

MSDN KB atricle 320847 "HOW TO: Pipeline XSLT Transformations in .NET
Applications" [1], proposes to perform XSLT transformations piping through a
memory stream (System.IO.MemoryStream) object to avoid I/O penalty.

I think it's still not effective piping, because it requires superfluous
serializing to the stream and subsequent parsing from the stream.

Using XmlReader object for XSLT Transformations piping doesn't require
intermediate serialization/parsing steps and allows significantly increase
performance (it's about 30% according to my rough measurements).

Here is a relevant C# code fragment:

xslt.Load("sortEmployees.xslt");
XmlReader interimReader = xslt.Transform(xmlDoc, null);
XPathDocument interimDoc = new XPathDocument(interimReader);
xslt.Load("employeesHTMLTable.xslt");
xslt.Transform(interimDoc, null, Response.OutputStream);

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320847
--
Oleg Tkachenko
Multiconn Technologies, Israel

SQL Server Development Team [MSFT]

Feb 25, 2003, 2:35:32 PM2/25/03
I suspect you're right in this instance. We'll investigate whether this is
a broken KB and update it as necessary. Thanks for bringing this to our
attention

-Arpan Desai

"Oleg Tkachenko" <ol...@multiconn.com> wrote in message