Cloud of white smoke when engine starts

Vitali

Aug 11, 2003, 9:42:39 PM8/11/03
Dear community
I own Camry 97 with 4 cyl. engine with 84000 on it. Couple months ago I
noticed when car just stay in garage for 24 hours or more and I start
engine, car throws out some white smoke from exhaust pipe.
Last weekend I did not drive car last weekend at all, when I started car
at Monday morning I was just amazed. Cloud of white smoke. I happens only at
the moment when engine just starting. When it started smoke disappears and
engine work just fine. I don't see any difference in car feeling at all. Car
runs, starts great. When I start engine after work or in the morning after
work day , I have nothing like that. Only when car had engine not started
for whole day or more.
Did somebody have similar experience ?
Do I have something to really worry about ?
I do for car all manufactory recommended maintenance in time.
Thanks in advance
Vitali

mark Ransley

Aug 11, 2003, 10:22:30 PM8/11/03
I think its normal my 4 cil has 86000 and has done it for years and
only uses 1/2 quart in 3000 miles, I think it is oil going past the
valves or something not to worry about.

Wolfgang

Aug 11, 2003, 10:57:22 PM8/11/03
Its moisture in the exhaust system. White smoke is steam -
as long as it burns off and doesn't do continuously nothing
to worry about. If continuous --- blown head gasket or
worse.

Philip®

Aug 12, 2003, 4:26:51 AM8/12/03

No, it's oil. Steam will take a minute or two to develop whereas the
poster is experiencing an instantaneous PUFF at start up that clears
out in seconds.
--

~~Philip

cantankerous | kan-TANG-kruss
- adjective: difficult or irritating to deal with.

Example: Philip was always cantankerous in the
morning, given to snapping and snarling until he'd
had his first cup of coffee and a soothing hot shower.

Scott Schuckert

Aug 12, 2003, 6:56:24 AM8/12/03
In article <jCXZa.1484$UB4...@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>, Vitali
<lure...@hotmail.com> wrote:

My '97 (92K) does that too; though it's intermittant to some extent.
It hasn't caused any trouble and I burn essentially no oil. Based on
what I've read in this group, it's oil leaking past the valve seals.
It really shouldn't do that, and some have reported success getting the
dealer to fix it (it's not a trivial repair) under the "pollution
control" hidden warranty. But that's limited to 50 or 60K, I forget
which.

mark Ransley

Aug 12, 2003, 9:31:34 AM8/12/03
I have new cars that dont smoke on startup, so i think it is oil , and
is good for the cilinders and valves. A high percentage of wear is on
startup, some say as much as 50%, whatever the amount , it slightly
lubricates on startup when your motor is dry on oil. Consumption is the
issue, if you dont use much dont worry

Philip®

Aug 12, 2003, 10:15:42 AM8/12/03

Which brand of oil and weight do you use in the car?

Daniel M. Dreifus

Aug 12, 2003, 10:56:10 AM8/12/03
"Vitali" <lure...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<jCXZa.1484$UB4...@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>...

> Did somebody have similar experience ?
> Do I have something to really worry about ?

Experience is common.
Not cause for worry.
Nonetheless, I'd like to keep the car for a long time, and couldn't
say I was really pleased about the smoke on start up, and didn't want
to go to the time or expense of replacing the valve seals.
The only potential concern over time, actually minimal, though
possible, is that the burning oil cloud on startup could cause the
catalytic converter to become restricted earlier.
Here's what I did to stop it, but you can form your own opinion
whether this makes sense to you.
1) auto-rx.com cleaner developed originally for commercial printing
presses, found to be effective in slowly removing internal engine
deposits. Theory is that heat and deposits harden the valve seals
reducing their effectiveness.
2) lucasoil.com Heavy duty oil stabilizer. Coats internal parts at
startup. You can read the information on their Internet site and see
if this sounds like something you wish to try.
I now find that the puff of smoke on startup, occassionally really a
lot, is no longer a problem.
There is a tool available to replace the valve seals without removing
the head, but I've read some who have had the valve seals replaced and
then the problem returns.

ROBMURR

Aug 12, 2003, 11:34:25 AM8/12/03
My 97 used to do that also starting at
about 90,000 miles. I switched to the
Pennzoil high mileage oil at that time
and the ingredients in it swell the oil
seals slightly to stop the leaking into
the cylinder..after a few thousand miles
the oil smoke on startup was gone and
has not returned at 165,000 miles.
Rob

marvin shostack

Aug 12, 2003, 12:21:43 PM8/12/03
Scott Schuckert <scot...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<120820030656241777%scot...@comcast.net>...

I had the same exact problem except I noticed it at an earlier
mileage. I switched the engine oil to 10W30 and the startup white/blue
cloud stopped. The mileage is now up to 100K and it still consumes no
oil in 3000 miles.

badgolferman

Aug 12, 2003, 1:26:36 PM8/12/03

If this is really blue smoke instead of white smoke as others are
surmising, then of course it is oil. My 94 Camry did the same until I
changed the PCV valve. Despite every mechanic telling me the valve
stems seals were bad, this simple fix took care of the problem and it
has not returned in four years. I contineu to use 10W-30 oil in it.

My 97 Camry that I bought from the dealer with 60,000 miles developed
the same problem and they did a major engine overhaul at their expense.

mark Ransley

Aug 12, 2003, 2:15:57 PM8/12/03
A manual I have says 87 and later 4cil have no pvc valve, the manual is
for 91 so I dont for later models

badgolferman

Aug 12, 2003, 3:26:30 PM8/12/03
mark Ransley wrote:
> A manual I have says 87 and later 4cil have no pvc valve, the manual
> is for 91 so I dont for later models

Well, perhaps your manual is out-of-date. 92-96 model is a different
design.

mark Ransley

Aug 12, 2003, 4:26:59 PM8/12/03
not out of date , just different design

Jason James

Aug 12, 2003, 5:18:13 PM8/12/03

"Vitali" <lure...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Yes ( 96 155,000ks 4cyl) and it doesnt do it all the time. Only if the
engine was puffing loads of blue smoke every start would it be a concern
cuopled with oil consumption. Eventually a piece of carbon will lodge under
a valve in that event.

Jason

Vitali

Aug 12, 2003, 8:21:10 PM8/12/03
Impressed by amount answers. Thank all and everyone personally very much

Frankly saying I don't what exactly type of the oil in the engine now,
beside it is Quaker State . But car was in service for oil replacement last
week. Among with this I paid for engine flush. It seemed to me like I got
something with oil. I will visit service station tomorrow to make sure which
oil I got and then I will see what I can do about it.

One more time thanks everyone. I appreciate community attention very much
With best regards
Vitali