US 48 signed in Virginia

Mike Roberson

Apr 18, 2003, 11:08:52 AM4/18/03
I received an e-mail Tuesday from "Dan F" which included this item:

US 48 - Signage indicates that US 48 is now multiplexed with VA 55
from I-81 to the West Virginia Border. At the West Virginia border,
the US 48 designation ceases. This is rather recent. I drove by the
I-81/VA55/US 48 JCT on 4/12/03 and the BGS sign and exit ramp had both
48 and 55, but a month earlier it was just 55. US 48 is posted very
well along with VA 55, even on mini shields at many intersections with
secondary roads. I drove to the JCT of 55 and 259 in West Virginia and
only 55 was posted there, no mention of 48.

I asked if US 48 continued east to US 11 and he thought it did not.
Anyway, until WV posts their side, US 48 is inaugurated as the
shortest US Route at about 16 miles.

Mike
Virginia Hwys Page
www.angelfire.com/va3/mapmikey/index

Barry L. Camp

Apr 18, 2003, 12:21:02 PM4/18/03

"Mike Roberson" <mrobe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I believe this would be the *third* incarnation of US-48. I remember that it
existed in the Maryland "panhandle" prior to completion of I-68. There was
also a short-lived first edition out in California, way back, perhaps to the
beginnings of the US Highway system itself.

Barry L. Camp

Steve

Apr 18, 2003, 12:39:48 PM4/18/03

I have to assume this is the precursor to an eventual Interstate? ISTR
48 being discussed a little while ago for that purpose.

SPUI

Apr 18, 2003, 1:14:16 PM4/18/03
Steve wrote:
> I have to assume this is the precursor to an eventual Interstate? ISTR
> 48 being discussed a little while ago for that purpose.

Completed sections of Corridor H (?) in West Virginia are only to corridor
standards. A freeway would be too expensive, especially through the
mountains.

--
Dan Moraseski - 15th grade at MIT
http://web.mit.edu/spui/www/ - FL NJ MA route logs and exit lists

Pete Jenior

Apr 18, 2003, 9:15:57 PM4/18/03

"SPUI" <sp...@mit.BUTIDONTLIKESPeduAM> wrote in message

> Steve wrote:
> > I have to assume this is the precursor to an eventual Interstate? ISTR
> > 48 being discussed a little while ago for that purpose.
>
> Completed sections of Corridor H (?) in West Virginia are only to corridor
> standards. A freeway would be too expensive, especially through the
> mountains.

Correct (and it is H). US 48 would run to the Elkins area, where traffic
could then follow the existing US 33 expressway over to I-79. The route of
the road in WV would be roughly along WV 55. It is marked on the most
recent WV official mpa. Whether or not it will ever get built has been the
subject of many Sherman Cahal and S.P. Cook posts...
-Pete

Sherman L. Cahal

Apr 19, 2003, 10:15:10 AM4/19/03

"Pete Jenior" <gtg...@prism.gatech.eduFILTER> wrote in message

http://www.cahaltech.com/~roads/page.php3?page=states/wva/r_us48

Sherman L. Cahal

Apr 19, 2003, 10:34:16 AM4/19/03
"SPUI" <sp...@mit.BUTIDONTLIKESPeduAM> wrote in message
> Steve wrote:
> > I have to assume this is the precursor to an eventual Interstate? ISTR
> > 48 being discussed a little while ago for that purpose.
>
> Completed sections of Corridor H (?) in West Virginia are only to corridor
> standards. A freeway would be too expensive, especially through the
> mountains.

Well while it is not freeway, it is corridor-standard, which means very few
at-grade intersections and interchanges at the major roads. I have not seen
the complete blueprint (I only have Phase I) so I have no idea on where the
rest of the intersections/interchanges will go at. The speed limit is that
of an interstate - 65 MPH and with little traffic, I can see this road
becoming an important east-west route for those truckers who do not want to
brave the incredibily long and steep hills of Interstate 68 to the north.

Phase I alone has three interchanges for a 5.48 mile section of road (incl.
southern and northern terminuses):
US 33 at Elkins, WV CR 11 near Highland Park, and WV CR 7 in Kerens.

Phase VII includes some intersections to farms and an interchange at Baker.

Oscar Voss

Apr 19, 2003, 11:15:07 AM4/19/03
Sherman L. Cahal wrote:

> "SPUI" <sp...@mit.BUTIDONTLIKESPeduAM> wrote in message
> > Steve wrote:
> > > I have to assume this is the precursor to an eventual Interstate? ISTR
> > > 48 being discussed a little while ago for that purpose.
> >
> > Completed sections of Corridor H (?) in West Virginia are only to corridor
> > standards. A freeway would be too expensive, especially through the
> > mountains.
>
> Well while it is not freeway, it is corridor-standard, which means very few
> at-grade intersections and interchanges at the major roads. I have not seen
> the complete blueprint (I only have Phase I) so I have no idea on where the
> rest of the intersections/interchanges will go at. The speed limit is that
> of an interstate - 65 MPH and with little traffic, I can see this road
> becoming an important east-west route for those truckers who do not want to
> brave the incredibily long and steep hills of Interstate 68 to the north.

Interestingly enough, there is an article in the real estate section of
today's Washington Post, discussing Corridor H and how it will open up
eastern West Virginia for vacation homes for Washingtonians:

"Heading for the Hills -- West Virginia, Far from the Big City,
Draws Buyers of Second Homes"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48434-2003Apr17.html

The article doesn't mention the US 48 redesignation; in fact, it says
(in several places, about halfway into the article) that Corridor H will
be an "interstate."

--
Oscar Voss - ov...@erols.com - Arlington, Virginia

my Hot Springs and Highways pages: http://users.erols.com/ovoss/

Sherman L. Cahal

Apr 19, 2003, 11:34:42 AM4/19/03
> Interestingly enough, there is an article in the real estate section of
> today's Washington Post, discussing Corridor H and how it will open up
> eastern West Virginia for vacation homes for Washingtonians:
>
> "Heading for the Hills -- West Virginia, Far from the Big City,
> Draws Buyers of Second Homes"
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48434-2003Apr17.html
>
> The article doesn't mention the US 48 redesignation; in fact, it says
> (in several places, about halfway into the article) that Corridor H will
> be an "interstate."

Oh good, more urban srpawl for the damn workers from the capital. What we
need... more yuppies who have no respect for West Virginia other than cheap,
exploitable land.

Chris Bessert

Apr 19, 2003, 5:40:43 PM4/19/03
Oscar Voss wrote:

> The article doesn't mention the US 48 redesignation; in fact, it says
> (in several places, about halfway into the article) that Corridor H will
> be an "interstate."

Now, I love newspapers for the historical information they provide about
highways and route designations, but they can be such pains-in-the-ass
when it comes to the precise facts that I (and others like me) need.

I know that I have to take many of the "facts" I see in historical news-
paper reports with a grain of salt. Of course, things like "Gov. So-and-
So attended the opening of the new highway today" can be trusted, but
things like route designations are always prime things for "bungling"...

Later,
Chris

--
Chris Bessert
Bess...@aol.com

Froggie

Apr 20, 2003, 2:03:10 AM4/20/03
> > Completed sections of Corridor H (?) in West Virginia are only to corridor
> > standards. A freeway would be too expensive, especially through the
> > mountains.
>
> Well while it is not freeway, it is corridor-standard, which means very few
> at-grade intersections and interchanges at the major roads. I have not seen
> the complete blueprint (I only have Phase I) so I have no idea on where the
> rest of the intersections/interchanges will go at. The speed limit is that
> of an interstate - 65 MPH and with little traffic, I can see this road
> becoming an important east-west route for those truckers who do not want to
> brave the incredibily long and steep hills of Interstate 68 to the north.

One note regarding the "corridor-standard": apparently, WV has
modified their "corridor-standard" to allow for reduced shoulder
widths on bridges. Virtually all of the bridges along the newer
portions of Corridor H (from Kerens to about 15 miles west of Elkins)
have what looks to be a 6-foot right shoulder. Certainly narrower
than 10 feet. I noticed a similar situation on many bridges along US
119 south of Charleston.

> Phase I alone has three interchanges for a 5.48 mile section of road (incl.
> southern and northern terminuses):
> US 33 at Elkins, WV CR 11 near Highland Park, and WV CR 7 in Kerens.

I was just on this section about 5 hours ago...having come down US 219
from Parsons (and eventually heading out Corridor H to I-79). Of the
three locations you refer to, only US 33 at Elkins is a TRUE
interchange. The other two are at-grade intersections connecting to
access roads, with the connection at Kerens comprising the present
northern/eastern terminus of the completed portion.

Froggie | Reporting from Pikeville, KY |
http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/

Sherman L. Cahal

Apr 20, 2003, 2:45:02 AM4/20/03
> > Well while it is not freeway, it is corridor-standard, which means very
few
> > at-grade intersections and interchanges at the major roads. I have not
seen
> > the complete blueprint (I only have Phase I) so I have no idea on where
the
> > rest of the intersections/interchanges will go at. The speed limit is
that
> > of an interstate - 65 MPH and with little traffic, I can see this road
> > becoming an important east-west route for those truckers who do not want
> > brave the incredibily long and steep hills of Interstate 68 to the
north.

> One note regarding the "corridor-standard": apparently, WV has
> modified their "corridor-standard" to allow for reduced shoulder
> widths on bridges. Virtually all of the bridges along the newer
> portions of Corridor H (from Kerens to about 15 miles west of Elkins)
> have what looks to be a 6-foot right shoulder. Certainly narrower
> than 10 feet. I noticed a similar situation on many bridges along US
> 119 south of Charleston.

Many interstate bridges (including new/reconstructed ones) are built with a
reduced shoulder. There are a few scattered for some odd reason that
includes a full 10 feet shoulder.

> > Phase I alone has three interchanges for a 5.48 mile section of road
(incl.
> > southern and northern terminuses):
> > US 33 at Elkins, WV CR 11 near Highland Park, and WV CR 7 in Kerens.
>
> I was just on this section about 5 hours ago...having come down US 219
> from Parsons (and eventually heading out Corridor H to I-79). Of the
> three locations you refer to, only US 33 at Elkins is a TRUE
> interchange. The other two are at-grade intersections connecting to
> access roads, with the connection at Kerens comprising the present
> northern/eastern terminus of the completed portion.
>
> Froggie | Reporting from Pikeville, KY |
> http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/

Ok thank you for the additional information. I gathered what I knew from the
offical Corridor H web-site and through various phone calls an e-mails to
the people behind the project.

I noticed you are posting from Pikeville... staying there for the night?

Froggie

Apr 20, 2003, 8:10:18 AM4/20/03
> Many interstate bridges (including new/reconstructed ones) are built with a
> reduced shoulder. There are a few scattered for some odd reason that
> includes a full 10 feet shoulder.

From what I recall last night, the bridges nearest I-79 along US
33/119 actually had NO shoulder, at least heading "westbound". All my
maps are out in the car, but I recall those bridges a little further
east (near where Corridor H picks up US 119...whatever that town that
starts with a "B" is) had a full 10-foot right shoulder.

> Ok thank you for the additional information. I gathered what I knew from the
> offical Corridor H web-site and through various phone calls an e-mails to
> the people behind the project.

No problem.

> I noticed you are posting from Pikeville... staying there for the night?

Yes, I stayed here overnight...borrowing a friend's AOL account for
access.

Froggie | About to head west from Pikeville, KY |
http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/

Trent

Apr 20, 2003, 1:45:32 PM4/20/03
"Sherman L. Cahal" <she...@cahaltech.com> wrote in message news:<3ea24...@corp.newsgroups.com>...

> > > Well while it is not freeway, it is corridor-standard, which means very
> few
> > > at-grade intersections and interchanges at the major roads. I have not
> seen
> > > the complete blueprint (I only have Phase I) so I have no idea on where
> the
> > > rest of the intersections/interchanges will go at. The speed limit is
> that
> > > of an interstate - 65 MPH and with little traffic, I can see this road
> > > becoming an important east-west route for those truckers who do not want
> > > brave the incredibily long and steep hills of Interstate 68 to the
> north.
> >
> > One note regarding the "corridor-standard": apparently, WV has
> > modified their "corridor-standard" to allow for reduced shoulder
> > widths on bridges. Virtually all of the bridges along the newer
> > portions of Corridor H (from Kerens to about 15 miles west of Elkins)
> > have what looks to be a 6-foot right shoulder. Certainly narrower
> > than 10 feet. I noticed a similar situation on many bridges along US
> > 119 south of Charleston.

Where in all is this going to be a freeway? The part east of Elkins
was closed when I was there and it seemed to me that US 33 was
designed to eventually become a freeway, but was not limited access
except around the larger towns. Also, how soon is it planned to put
the road up around Davis? I pretty much figured out where it would
cross there. I had led to believe, especially from what I read about
it, that this was supposed to be a westward extension of I-66. When
did they decide just to make it a US route (48)? Having traveled
parts of Corr. H several times I had to buzz in with some questions of
my own.

Allen Seth Dunn

Apr 21, 2003, 6:03:11 PM4/21/03

I just traveled this section earlier today. I can confirm that the US 48
designation exists from the WV-VA line to I-81. In addition to be signed along
the road and as guide points at intersections with more major roads, all BGSs
that mention VA 55 along I-81 preceding Exit 296 in both directions have this
signed. Also, I can confirm that US 48 currently ends at I-81 being that the
off-ramps to VA 55 only show directions for West US 48. Also, the assurance
marker and mileage sign along eastbound VA 55 just east of I-81 only shows the
VA 55 marker, and not the US 48 marker.

Scott M. Kozel

Apr 21, 2003, 7:21:17 PM4/21/03

Hopefully, the recognizing and posting of US-48 means that Virginia is
also recognizing the need to build its 15-mile section of Corridor H,
which is what US-48 was assigned to; by the time that West Virginia
completes its section of Corridor H.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

ARMOURER ERIC

Apr 22, 2003, 5:31:05 PM4/22/03
I think it would be interesting to contimue the designation into Washington DC
somehow, maybe via VA 7

Eric

Allen Seth Dunn

Apr 22, 2003, 7:44:31 PM4/22/03
On 22 Apr 2003 21:31:05 GMT armour...@aol.com (ARMOURER ERIC) wrote:

> I think it would be interesting to contimue the designation into Washington DC
> somehow, maybe via VA 7

Following VA 7 is not realistic IMHO. VA 7 parallels I-81 a good 20 to 25
miles north of I-66 until east of Leesburg. I would rather see the US 48
continued along the VA 55 corridor entirely with the highway ending in
Gainesville at US 29, where US 29 and US 50 take over eastward into DC. In
addition, when ARC Corridor H is finally completed, I believe VA 55, and any
part of WV 55 that parallels Corridor H, should have the designation removed
when completed. This idea, I believe, is a more realistic approach.

> Eric

Patrick Humphrey

Apr 22, 2003, 8:01:17 PM4/22/03
armour...@aol.com (ARMOURER ERIC) writes:

>I think it would be interesting to contimue the designation into Washington DC
>somehow, maybe via VA 7

Could be...but how do you get it from Winchester to Strasburg, and what do you
do with it in Strasburg? Run it around town on I-81, or duck down into town
on US 11 and then double back on VA 55?

--PLH, multiplex it with I-81 and I-66 into DC, I'd say ;-)

Scott M. Kozel

Apr 22, 2003, 9:13:22 PM4/22/03
armour...@aol.com (ARMOURER ERIC) wrote:

> I think it would be interesting to contimue the designation into Washington DC
> somehow, maybe via VA 7

They already have I-81 and I-66. I think that overlapping US-48 over
those highways, would be unnecessary.

Ernest Cline

Apr 22, 2003, 10:02:52 PM4/22/03

"Patrick Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message

> armour...@aol.com (ARMOURER ERIC) writes:
>
> >I think it would be interesting to contimue the designation into
Washington DC
> >somehow, maybe via VA 7
>
> Could be...but how do you get it from Winchester to Strasburg, and what do
you
> do with it in Strasburg? Run it around town on I-81, or duck down into
town
> on US 11 and then double back on VA 55?

I'm not from Virginia so I have no idea if it would be a good idea, but if
you want to make VA 7 be a part of US 48, it would seem to me that the
easiest thing to do would be turn the stretch of US 48 from Leanon Church to
Strasburg back over to VA 55 and use VA 628 to make the connection from
Lebanon Church to Winchester with a short multiplex with US 11 inside
Winchester to get to VA 7. I see only two difficulties. One is that it
creates a short wrongway multiplex between US 48 on the one hand and US 50
and US 522 on the other. But with US 11 in the mix, and with it being a
short multiplex I don't mind that. The other is that I have no idea how good
a road VA 628 is. However when Corridor H is completed, I suspect that VA
628 will see some increase in traffic as a side effect even if it remains VA
628. (Whether its 1 vehicle/day or 1000/day I have no idea, but there will
be an increase.)

For what it's worth, when I did my fantasy mega-exapansion of the US highway
system last year I had US 48 follow VA 55 to US 29 while VA 7 became part of
a new US 240 that ran from Alexandria, VA to Cumberland, MD (via US 522,
VA/WV 127, WV 29, and MD 51.

Patrick Humphrey

Apr 23, 2003, 2:43:02 AM4/23/03
"Ernest Cline" <ernes...@mindspring.communism> writes:

>"Patrick Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message
>> armour...@aol.com (ARMOURER ERIC) writes:

>> >I think it would be interesting to contimue the designation into
>Washington DC
>> >somehow, maybe via VA 7

>> Could be...but how do you get it from Winchester to Strasburg, and what do
>> you do with it in Strasburg? Run it around town on I-81, or duck down into
>> town on US 11 and then double back on VA 55?

>I'm not from Virginia so I have no idea if it would be a good idea, but if
>you want to make VA 7 be a part of US 48, it would seem to me that the
>easiest thing to do would be turn the stretch of US 48 from Leanon Church to
>Strasburg back over to VA 55 and use VA 628 to make the connection from
>Lebanon Church to Winchester with a short multiplex with US 11 inside
>Winchester to get to VA 7. I see only two difficulties. One is that it
>creates a short wrongway multiplex between US 48 on the one hand and US 50
>and US 522 on the other. But with US 11 in the mix, and with it being a
>short multiplex I don't mind that. The other is that I have no idea how good
>a road VA 628 is. However when Corridor H is completed, I suspect that VA
>628 will see some increase in traffic as a side effect even if it remains VA
>628. (Whether its 1 vehicle/day or 1000/day I have no idea, but there will
>be an increase.)

I'm not a Virginian, either, but I'm familiar with the westernmost three
counties, being a native of just across Black Mountain in Kentucky, and the
wife and I spent a week two years ago in Lost River, WV, so we got to see
WV/VA 55 between Baker and Strasburg quite a bit in that time. Virginia's
part of US 48 is in better shape than West Virginia's, but it's still a bit
too close to the state roads in eastern Kentucky I'm familiar with to deserve
a US designation yet, in my opinion. That aside, doesn't VA 628 loop over to
US 11 at Stephens City? That'd be shorter than going from Lebanon Church down
to I-81 and then back up to I-66 (or even VA 7 in Winchester), I agree, but at
least it looks to me like there might be some merit in continuing east on VA
277 and then US 340 through White Post and up to VA 7 at Berryville, if you
wan to sneak US 48 into DC without putting it on I-66. (We've been up I-81 to
VA 7 and over to US 340 at Berryville, so I know that road could handle a US
number -- I couldn't guess at what 340 is like between Berryville and where it
hits US 522, though, or the condition of VA 628 or 277.)

>For what it's worth, when I did my fantasy mega-exapansion of the US highway
>system last year I had US 48 follow VA 55 to US 29 while VA 7 became part of
>a new US 240 that ran from Alexandria, VA to Cumberland, MD (via US 522,
>VA/WV 127, WV 29, and MD 51.

My occasional pipe dream is to redirect US 119 south at Jenkins to meet up
with US 19 in North Carolina, but I still haven't figured out how to swap US
19 and US 23 further southward than that...:-)

--PLH, such are the hazards of having a life, I guess

Ernest Cline

Apr 23, 2003, 3:36:26 AM4/23/03

"Patrick Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote:
> ... That aside, doesn't VA 628 loop over to

> US 11 at Stephens City? That'd be shorter than going from Lebanon Church
down
> to I-81 and then back up to I-66 (or even VA 7 in Winchester), I agree,
but at
> least it looks to me like there might be some merit in continuing east on
VA
> 277 and then US 340 through White Post and up to VA 7 at Berryville, if
you
> wan to sneak US 48 into DC without putting it on I-66. (We've been up
I-81 to
> VA 7 and over to US 340 at Berryville, so I know that road could handle a
US
> number -- I couldn't guess at what 340 is like between Berryville and
where it
> hits US 522, though, or the condition of VA 628 or 277.)

Not according to my 2002-2004 VA Map. It shows a VA 631 tho that goes from
the intersection of US 11 and VA 277 to the midpoint of VA 628 between
Lebanon Church and Winchester. VA 628 meets up with US 11 in the southern
part of Winchester.

> >For what it's worth, when I did my fantasy mega-exapansion of the US
highway
> >system last year I had US 48 follow VA 55 to US 29 while VA 7 became part
of
> >a new US 240 that ran from Alexandria, VA to Cumberland, MD (via US 522,
> >VA/WV 127, WV 29, and MD 51.
>
> My occasional pipe dream is to redirect US 119 south at Jenkins to meet up
> with US 19 in North Carolina, but I still haven't figured out how to swap
US
> 19 and US 23 further southward than that...:-)

Can't help you there. I left both US 119 and US 19 pretty much alone in my
fantasy system. Only change for either of them in Kentucky is that I snipped
US 119 off at Baxter and made the Baxter to Pineville portion part of a new
US 358.

Patrick Humphrey

Apr 23, 2003, 5:04:38 PM4/23/03
"Ernest Cline" <ernes...@mindspring.communism> writes:

>"Patrick Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote:

>> ... That aside, doesn't VA 628 loop over to US 11 at Stephens City? That'd
>> be shorter than going from Lebanon Church down to I-81 and then back up to
>> I-66 (or even VA 7 in Winchester), I agree, but at least it looks to me
>> like there might be some merit in continuing east on VA 277 and then US 340

>> through White Post and up to VA 7 at Berryville, if you want to sneak US 48

>> into DC without putting it on I-66. (We've been up I-81 to VA 7 and over
>> to US 340 at Berryville, so I know that road could handle a US number -- I
>> couldn't guess at what 340 is like between Berryville and where it hits US
>> 522, though, or the condition of VA 628 or 277.)

>Not according to my 2002-2004 VA Map. It shows a VA 631 tho that goes from
>the intersection of US 11 and VA 277 to the midpoint of VA 628 between
>Lebanon Church and Winchester. VA 628 meets up with US 11 in the southern
>part of Winchester.

That's what I get for using the 2003 RMcN, I guess. (I remember the 628
turnoff at Lebanon Church, and we stopped for breakfast one morning at VA 277
and I-81, but I never saw any mention of VA 628 there.)

>> >For what it's worth, when I did my fantasy mega-exapansion of the US
>> >highway system last year I had US 48 follow VA 55 to US 29 while VA 7
>> >became part of a new US 240 that ran from Alexandria, VA to Cumberland, MD
>> >(via US 522, VA/WV 127, WV 29, and MD 51.

>> My occasional pipe dream is to redirect US 119 south at Jenkins to meet up
>> with US 19 in North Carolina, but I still haven't figured out how to swap US
>> 19 and US 23 further southward than that...:-)

>Can't help you there. I left both US 119 and US 19 pretty much alone in my
>fantasy system. Only change for either of them in Kentucky is that I snipped
>US 119 off at Baxter and made the Baxter to Pineville portion part of a new
>US 358.

Baxter? Better that than Loyall. :-) Would your US 358 be heading up from
Pineville and then down through Harlan and on to Pennington Gap, Big Stone
Gap, Norton, and Hansonville? (The current US 58A isn't too bad up to Big
Stone, but then the old pre-freeway US 23 road north of Big Stone isn't a
whole lot different from what it was when I was a child -- narrow, rough, and
dangerous, at least up through Appalachia and VA 160...past that turnoff up to
Norton, it's a little better, at least.)

--PLH, and after Norton, it's 20th Century ;-)

Ernest Cline

Apr 23, 2003, 6:29:37 PM4/23/03

"Patrick Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message

Close, but I didn't use VA 160. I did use a good bit of VA 42 tho. Here's
the "complete" US 358, perhaps you can tell me whether my VA 730 shortcut is
a good idea or if I should have just had US 358 go thru Pearisburg?

New US 358
#Chesapeake Bay# Windmill Pt., VA
[VA 695]
White Stone, VA
[VA 3]
Culpepper, VA
<US 117:Ex-US 522>
Sperryville, VA
[Ex-US 211]
New Market, VA
[VA 211]
Timberville, VA
[VA 42]
N of Iron Gate, VA
<New US 515:Ex-US 220>
Eagle Rock, VA
[VA 615]
New Castle, VA
[VA 42]
Newport, VA
[US 460]
W of Newport, VA
[VA 730]
E of Popolar Hill, VA
<US 219:VA 100>
Poplar Hill, VA
[VA 42]
Broadford, VA
[VA 91]
Glade Spring, VA
[US 11]
Abingdon, VA
[US 58A]
Pennington Gap, VA
[Ex-US 421]
Baxter, KY
[Ex-US 119]
Pineville, KY
<US 25:Ex-US 25E>
Four Mile, KY
[KY 92]
Monticello, KY
[KY 90]
Cave City, KY
[KY 70]
Madisonville, KY
[US 41A]
NE of Providence, KY
[KY 670]
NW of Providence, KY
[KY 109]
Sullivan, KY #US 60#

R. Droz

Apr 25, 2003, 2:20:35 AM4/25/03
For those who missed the way - earlier thread:
US 48 [III] was approved by AASHTO on October 11, 2002 in Anchorage Alaska.
The termini are I-79 near Weston, WV and I-81 near Strasburg, VA.
Approxiamte length: 148 miles
http://www.us-highways.com/us1830.htm#us048a
Happy Motoring! _._._._.____~__
Robert V. Droz ( us...@earthlink.net ) [____________][_\__
U.S. Highways : From US 1 to (US 830) [________/____[_|__\
http://www.us-highways.com/ ()() ()() ()

Scott M. Kozel

Apr 25, 2003, 3:10:07 AM4/25/03
"R. Droz" <us...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> For those who missed the way - earlier thread:
> US 48 [III] was approved by AASHTO on October 11, 2002 in Anchorage Alaska.
> The termini are I-79 near Weston, WV and I-81 near Strasburg, VA.
> Approxiamte length: 148 miles
> http://www.us-highways.com/us1830.htm#us048a

So that would overlap US-48 and US-33 between I-79 and just west of
Elkins, and then follow the proposed section of Corridor "H".

Does West Virginia have any current plans to sign existing highways east
of Elkins, as US-48? That would seem hard to do since Corridor "H" does
not follow one route, and the closest approximation (US-219, WV-93,
WV-42, WV-28, US-220, and WV-55) seems far too distended to logically
utilize for US-48.

SPUI

Apr 25, 2003, 3:36:50 AM4/25/03
Scott M. Kozel wrote:
> "R. Droz" <us...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> For those who missed the way - earlier thread:
>> US 48 [III] was approved by AASHTO on October 11, 2002 in Anchorage
Alaska.
>> The termini are I-79 near Weston, WV and I-81 near Strasburg, VA.
>> Approxiamte length: 148 miles
>> http://www.us-highways.com/us1830.htm#us048a
>
> So that would overlap US-48 and US-33 between I-79 and just west of
> Elkins, and then follow the proposed section of Corridor "H".
>
> Does West Virginia have any current plans to sign existing highways east
> of Elkins, as US-48? That would seem hard to do since Corridor "H" does
> not follow one route, and the closest approximation (US-219, WV-93,
> WV-42, WV-28, US-220, and WV-55) seems far too distended to logically
> utilize for US-48.

My guess is it will be signed along US 33 and WV 55 until large sections of
the new alignment are finished.

H.B. Elkins

Apr 25, 2003, 10:01:07 AM4/25/03
"Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@attbi.com> wrote:

>Does West Virginia have any current plans to sign existing highways east
>of Elkins, as US-48? That would seem hard to do since Corridor "H" does
>not follow one route, and the closest approximation (US-219, WV-93,
>WV-42, WV-28, US-220, and WV-55) seems far too distended to logically
>utilize for US-48.

I drove that route nearly three years ago. At that time the four-lane
ended west of Elkins and the only construction that was taking place
was to the northwest and north of Elkins.

The way the routes on that section (US 33, US 250 and WV 92) are
signed is confusing. If you're coming from the west, US 33 and WV 92
exit onto the old two-lane alignment of those routes while US 250
continues on the four-lane, then exits at the end of the existing
four-lane to follow a county highway over to existing US 219, then
follows 219 south into town where it picks up US 33 and WV 92 again.

However, if you're coming from the east, US 33 is routed along north
US 219 and US 250 to the new part of the four-lane. The old route is
designated "Old Rt. 33" and WV 92 just seems to disappear as it is
inconsistently signed.

The way US 48 is going to run, it's going to stop at I-79 while the
highways it shares pavement with, US 119 and US 33, continue on into
Weston. I've never understood the logic of having one highway end
while others continue. Similarly, it looks as if US 48 will end at
I-81 but VA 55 will continue. I doubt if West Virginia will roll back
its WV 55 desgination since the entire route of that highway is
considered as some scenic route -- Highland Trace, I think it's
called.

That is why I would be in favor of a standardized ARC corridor sign
being developed and used along the route.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins mailto:hbel...@mis.net or mailto:HB...@aol.com
http://www.millenniumhwy.net
http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins

"There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
--Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)

I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sonic

Apr 25, 2003, 11:42:11 AM4/25/03
mrobe...@hotmail.com (Mike Roberson) wrote in message news:<b2d49060.03041...@posting.google.com>...

> I received an e-mail Tuesday from "Dan F" which included this item:
>
> US 48 - Signage indicates that US 48 is now multiplexed with VA 55
> from I-81 to the West Virginia Border. At the West Virginia border,
> the US 48 designation ceases. This is rather recent. I drove by the
> I-81/VA55/US 48 JCT on 4/12/03 and the BGS sign and exit ramp had both
> 48 and 55, but a month earlier it was just 55. US 48 is posted very
> well along with VA 55, even on mini shields at many intersections with
> secondary roads. I drove to the JCT of 55 and 259 in West Virginia and
> only 55 was posted there, no mention of 48.
>
> I asked if US 48 continued east to US 11 and he thought it did not.
> Anyway, until WV posts their side, US 48 is inaugurated as the
> shortest US Route at about 16 miles.

I'll have photos of the new signs at Old Dominion Road from Seth Dunn
online this weekend.

Sonic

Apr 25, 2003, 11:45:20 AM4/25/03
"Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<3EA8DF4B...@attbi.com>...

> "R. Droz" <us...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > For those who missed the way - earlier thread:
> > US 48 [III] was approved by AASHTO on October 11, 2002 in Anchorage Alaska.
> > The termini are I-79 near Weston, WV and I-81 near Strasburg, VA.
> > Approxiamte length: 148 miles
> > http://www.us-highways.com/us1830.htm#us048a
>
> So that would overlap US-48 and US-33 between I-79 and just west of
> Elkins, and then follow the proposed section of Corridor "H".

Add US 119 to the mix from I-79 to Buchanon

> Does West Virginia have any current plans to sign existing highways east
> of Elkins, as US-48? That would seem hard to do since Corridor "H" does
> not follow one route, and the closest approximation (US-219, WV-93,
> WV-42, WV-28, US-220, and WV-55) seems far too distended to logically
> utilize for US-48.

WV State Issued maps in the late 90s and I think in 2000 had Corridor
H as US 33, of course that's all changed now. Hmmm, I do plan on
getting a scanner back into the mix at home. Looks to be a lot sooner
now.

Allen Seth Dunn

Apr 25, 2003, 12:23:33 PM4/25/03

IMHO, I think that it would just be simple to sign US 48 all along 4-lane
Corridor H, and have WV 55 signed on the old two-lane segments, with a
multiplex in places if needed (though it doesn't look like there will need to
be such).

Scott M. Kozel

Apr 25, 2003, 2:41:49 PM4/25/03
Allen Seth Dunn <i_6...@msn.com> wrote:

> hbel...@restrictorplates.mis.net (H.B. Elkins) wrote:
>
> > The way US 48 is going to run, it's going to stop at I-79 while the
> > highways it shares pavement with, US 119 and US 33, continue on into
> > Weston. I've never understood the logic of having one highway end
> > while others continue. Similarly, it looks as if US 48 will end at
> > I-81 but VA 55 will continue. I doubt if West Virginia will roll back
> > its WV 55 desgination since the entire route of that highway is
> > considered as some scenic route -- Highland Trace, I think it's
> > called.
>
> IMHO, I think that it would just be simple to sign US 48 all along 4-lane
> Corridor H, and have WV 55 signed on the old two-lane segments, with a
> multiplex in places if needed (though it doesn't look like there will need to
> be such).

Isn't that the current plan, that the completed new Corridor "H" will be US-48?

Sherman L. Cahal

Apr 26, 2003, 2:27:38 AM4/26/03
> > > The way US 48 is going to run, it's going to stop at I-79 while the
> > > highways it shares pavement with, US 119 and US 33, continue on into
> > > Weston. I've never understood the logic of having one highway end
> > > while others continue. Similarly, it looks as if US 48 will end at
> > > I-81 but VA 55 will continue. I doubt if West Virginia will roll back
> > > its WV 55 desgination since the entire route of that highway is
> > > considered as some scenic route -- Highland Trace, I think it's
> > > called.
> >
> > IMHO, I think that it would just be simple to sign US 48 all along
4-lane
> > Corridor H, and have WV 55 signed on the old two-lane segments, with a
> > multiplex in places if needed (though it doesn't look like there will
need to
> > be such).
>
> Isn't that the current plan, that the completed new Corridor "H" will be
US-48?

Yes, all of Corridor H will be signed as US 48. The designation extends from
I-79 east to I-81 so I can see a odd multiplex at its western end.

Patrick Humphrey

Apr 26, 2003, 7:03:57 AM4/26/03
"Ernest Cline" <ernes...@mindspring.communism> writes:

>"Patrick Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message

>> >Can't help you there. I left both US 119 and US 19 pretty much alone in
>> >my fantasy system. Only change for either of them in Kentucky is that I
>> >snipped US 119 off at Baxter and made the Baxter to Pineville portion
>> >part of a new US 358.

>> Baxter? Better that than Loyall. :-) Would your US 358 be heading up
>> from Pineville and then down through Harlan and on to Pennington Gap, Big
>> Stone Gap, Norton, and Hansonville? (The current US 58A isn't too bad up
>> to Big Stone, but then the old pre-freeway US 23 road north of Big Stone
>> isn't a whole lot different from what it was when I was a child -- narrow,
>> rough, and dangerous, at least up through Appalachia and VA 160...past
>> that turnoff up to Norton, it's a little better, at least.)

>Close, but I didn't use VA 160. I did use a good bit of VA 42 tho. Here's
>the "complete" US 358, perhaps you can tell me whether my VA 730 shortcut is
>a good idea or if I should have just had US 358 go thru Pearisburg?

I don't think this is an idea that will ever come to reality, given the way it
wanders all over Virginia, and the terrain from Sperryville on to the
southwest is anything but inviting (at least as far as an upgrade to a US
highway is concerned). From around Abingdon all the way over to Pineville
could be done pretty easily, but KY 92 from Four Mile through Williamsburg
over to Monticello? That would be dubious for anything larger than a sedan,
given the condition it was in 18 months ago...and it'd have to be redesigned
and relocated in more than a few places just between Four Mile and
Williamsburg, and the mountains don't allow any room to do that. It may
happen some day, but I don't think it'll be any time in the next couple of
decades, at least -- unless a large part of the population of the
Commonwealths decides to move to those parts of the two states, for whatever
reason. (It won't be because there's coal to mine. :-|)

--PLH, still, someone may have an inspiration and make something more workable
out of it