Lexington loop?

May 1, 2002, 2:12:02 PM5/1/02
Any possibilties of a loop around Lexington KY.? The small inner loop is
not to I standard. I doubt any connection would be made directly to it from
I-75/71. More than likely have a loop further out in the other suburbs. Is
there a need in this area since there is loopamania around the U.S.?

Dino

Sherman Cahal

May 1, 2002, 3:43:56 PM5/1/02
"d" <bu...@VOVAGER.NET> wrote in message

The small inner loop is interstate standards with the exception of from US
25 to US 25 on the other side -- that is four lane divided with horrible
congestion. Just recently, the US 60/KY 4 interchange was replaced with a
SPUI, replacing a tight 15 MPH partial cloverleaf, which dates to the 50's.
Studies are underway to modernize and freeway-ize KY 4 from US 25 to US 25.

A loop already does exist outside of that -- Man-O-War Blvd. -- which is
basically a four lane divided highway set to low traffic speeds. You can
forget about an outer-outer-outer bypass -- that wont happen due to NIMBYism
from the horse farm owners.

Bush Lost Newport KY

May 1, 2002, 2:54:09 PM5/1/02
On Wed, 1 May 2002 14:12:02 -0400, "d" <bu...@VOVAGER.NET> said:

>Any possibilties of a loop around Lexington KY.?

They already have one.

>Is
>there a need in this area since there is loopamania around the U.S.?

No.

--

I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative!
------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

Jeffrey Carlyle

May 1, 2002, 10:13:52 PM5/1/02
"Sherman Cahal" <sher...@cahaltech.com> wrote:

> "d" <bu...@VOVAGER.NET> wrote:
> > Any possibilties of a loop around Lexington KY.? The small inner loop is
> > not to I standard. I doubt any connection would be made directly to it
> from
> > I-75/71. More than likely have a loop further out in the other suburbs.
> Is
> > there a need in this area since there is loopamania around the U.S.?
>
> The small inner loop is interstate standards with the exception of from US
> 25 to US 25 on the other side -- that is four lane divided with horrible
> congestion. Just recently, the US 60/KY 4 interchange was replaced with a
> SPUI, replacing a tight 15 MPH partial cloverleaf, which dates to the 50's.
> Studies are underway to modernize and freeway-ize KY 4 from US 25 to US 25.
>
> A loop already does exist outside of that -- Man-O-War Blvd. -- which is
> basically a four lane divided highway set to low traffic speeds. You can
> forget about an outer-outer-outer bypass -- that wont happen due to NIMBYism
> from the horse farm owners.

Indeed. The same NIMBYs who have kept the Bluegrass Parkway terminus at
US-60 instead of I-64 or I-75.

--
// Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle, THE RULER OF EARTH: <www.rulerofearth.org>
// CS Grad. Student@UIUC; Programmer; Road Enthusiast; Life Enthusiast

Pete Jenior

May 1, 2002, 11:18:21 PM5/1/02

"Sherman Cahal" <sher...@cahaltech.com> wrote in message

> "d" <bu...@VOVAGER.NET> wrote in message
> > Any possibilties of a loop around Lexington KY.? The small inner loop
is
> > not to I standard. I doubt any connection would be made directly to it
> from
> > I-75/71. More than likely have a loop further out in the other suburbs.
> Is
> > there a need in this area since there is loopamania around the U.S.?
>
> The small inner loop is interstate standards with the exception of from US
> 25 to US 25 on the other side -- that is four lane divided with horrible
> congestion.

??The other parts are fully controlled access but I don't see how they could
be interstate standard. There are curbs, narrow medians, short ramps, etc.
A very old expressway.

---
-Pete Jenior - Cincinnati, Ohio
-Freshman Civil Engineering Major
Georgia Tech (downtown Atlanta)
~~~~
"You're on the road
But you've got no destination"
-U2, "Beautiful Day"

Pete Jenior

May 1, 2002, 11:19:30 PM5/1/02
d" <bu...@VOVAGER.NET> wrote in message

What is really needed are some good connections between the current loop and
I-64 and/or I-75. Without these it is a mess to go through Lexington on
anything other than the interstates.

May 2, 2002, 9:41:28 AM5/2/02
What's the pop. of Lexington? Is it one the larger cities w/o a loop?

Getting to the previous question, after being widened, the specific I-64/75
corridor seems to flow smoothly. Before then there were a lot of backups.
It's nice after driving on that part for years.

I think the third lane addition on 75 (south of 64) is done. Is it? It
was needed to Richmond area with the development of the suburbs south of
town and increased traffic. How far does the third lane stretch going south
does anyone know.

Dino

"Pete Jenior" <gtg...@prism.gatech.eduFILTER> wrote in message

Sherman Cahal

May 2, 2002, 3:52:25 PM5/2/02

> What's the pop. of Lexington? Is it one the larger cities w/o a loop?

Around 250,000. It supprases Louisville as being KY's largest city.

> Dino

Jeffrey Carlyle

May 2, 2002, 4:04:58 PM5/2/02
"Sherman Cahal" <sher...@cahaltech.com> wrote:
> "d" <bu...@VOVAGER.NET> wrote:
> > What's the pop. of Lexington? Is it one the larger cities w/o a loop?
>
> Around 250,000. It supprases Louisville as being KY's largest city.

Only until January when the Louisville/Jefferson County merger goes into
effect.

Sherman Cahal

May 2, 2002, 3:52:59 PM5/2/02
"Pete Jenior" <gtg...@prism.gatech.eduFILTER> wrote in message
> d" <bu...@VOVAGER.NET> wrote in message

> What is really needed are some good connections between the current loop
and
> I-64 and/or I-75. Without these it is a mess to go through Lexington on
> anything other than the interstates.

I never had trouble navigating from KY 4 to I-64 via US 60 before. It is
still only four lanes with moderate traffic.

Dino

May 3, 2002, 9:26:17 AM5/3/02
There is loopamania around the U.S.

John David Galt

May 3, 2002, 6:32:39 PM5/3/02
Please don't feed the troll.

Pete Jenior

May 4, 2002, 9:35:46 PM5/4/02

"d" <bu...@VOVAGER.NET> wrote in message

> What's the pop. of Lexington? Is it one the larger cities w/o a loop?
>
> Getting to the previous question, after being widened, the specific
I-64/75
> corridor seems to flow smoothly. Before then there were a lot of
backups.
> It's nice after driving on that part for years.
>
> I think the third lane addition on 75 (south of 64) is done. Is it? It
> was needed to Richmond area with the development of the suburbs south of
> town and increased traffic. How far does the third lane stretch going
south
> does anyone know.

The third lanes goes to Richmond, and work to extend it to Bera is underway.
In less than a decade all of I-75 in KY will have a third lane.

---
-Pete Jenior - Cincinnati, Ohio

-Civil Engineering Major

May 5, 2002, 1:47:20 AM5/5/02

"John David Galt" <j...@diogenes.sacramento.ca.us> wrote in message

> Please don't feed the troll.

But he's hungry and he's grawing at my ankles. He already ate one of my
hedgehogs

http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Ulimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =-----

Dan Garnell

May 5, 2002, 11:06:03 AM5/5/02

> The third lanes goes to Richmond, and work to extend it to Bera is underway.
> In less than a decade all of I-75 in KY will have a third lane.

Let me take it a step further, as I chronicled the lane distribution
of I-75 across KY on my trip there last week:

mm#192-#173: 8 lanes
mm#173-#165: 6 lanes
mm#165-#138: 4 lanes (& plenty of bridge recon that needs to be done
before widening)
mm#138-#85: 6 lanes
mm#85-#75: widening to 6 lanes in progress
mm#75-#55: 4 lanes
mm#55-#52: 6 lanes
mm#52-#42: 4 lanes
mm#42-#33: 6 lanes