More SCSI Q's...

Rupert Hollom

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Thanks to everybody who gave me info about the internal SCSI settings on the
NeXTStation. I've now got the machine to recognise the hard drive - all I've
got to do now is format it and install NS3.2, and herein lies the problem.
I've got an old Apple single speed CD with one of those big 'D' type
connectors on it and the cable with it connects OK to the back of the NeXT
cube (which is currently under a table in bits dues to lack of space !) but
not to the NeXT staion. Is the connector on the back of the NeXT station a
standard SCSI-II connector as I've got a connector that I though was SCSI-II
but it is too wide. I'd like the exact name/spec. of the required
cable/connector so that I can go to the local computer shop and get the right
one. I really want to get this machine up and running ASAP so that I can
start using a nice OS...

Cheers Rupert

Matthias Heidbrink

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99

Rupert Hollom wrote:
> I've got an old Apple single speed CD with one of those big 'D' type
> connectors on it and the cable with it connects OK to the back of the NeXT
> cube (which is currently under a table in bits dues to lack of space !) but
> not to the NeXT staion. Is the connector on the back of the NeXT station a
> standard SCSI-II connector as I've got a connector that I though was SCSI-II
> but it is too wide.

There seems to be something wrong with your cable. It is a 50-pin "SCSI
II" connector (although the NeXTstation SCSI controller only does SCSI I
and the SCSI II specififation also allows the old Centronics-style
connectors). Both my SCSI controllers from Adaptec (2930) and SymBios
(810) have the same plug and I'm using an external CD-ROM drive with my
NeXTstation that also works on my PCs.

Ciao, Matthias