Dr. No Revisited.

George Sean Browne

May 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/28/00

Greetings!

Last night I played my new DVD copy of DR. NO
and it got me to thinking about this first in the series of
007 adventures. Here are some questions I'd like to post
to the group:

1) It seems to me that English accents of MoneyPenny and
M are somewhat subdued. Was this a concession to
American audiances or were Bernard Lee and Lois
Maxwell's accents just what we hear?

2) Dr. No is toppling US missiles from Crab Key but to
what end? Is he just doing it for revenge against
the West since they refused to acknowledge his
scientific genius? Usually, any SPECTRE operation,
which this must have been, is financially motivated;
who was paying SPECTRE/Dr. No to trash the
American space program?

3) As much as I like this film, I always cringe when
I hear Bond tell Quarrel to "Fetch my shoes...".
My goodness, even in 1962 that must have seemed
a bit inappropriate.

4) Who writes the DVD chapter headings for the
Bond titles? On some of the films they seem
alright on others, like Dr. No, they are practically
laughable.

5) I believe that in FRWL Dr. No is reffered to as
"Number 2", does this make him a founding
Member of SPECTRE?

6) Joseph Wiseman was superb as Dr. No. Whatever
became of him?

Thank you for reading!

George Sean Browne

Alfonso

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
As far as yr question number six, Joseph Wiseman played a mobster
named Manny Weisboard in the tv series 'Crime Story', which ran
on NBC for a couple of years in the late 1980's. It was a very
good tv show, but ultimately was cancelled, I believe, by reason
of poor ratings. He's still alive as far as I know. I think his
portrayl of Dr. No makes him one of the two best villains in the
Bond series, the other being Auric Goldfinger, played by Gerte
Frobe.

Hope that answers yr question.

Alfonso

----------
In article <39314538...@news.prodigy.net>,

gbr...@bigfoot.com (George Sean Browne) wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Last night I played my new DVD copy of DR. NO
> and it got me to thinking about this first in the series of
> 007 adventures. Here are some questions I'd like to post
> to the group:

Holvbphoto

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
Sean Browne) writes:

>1) It seems to me that English accents of MoneyPenny and
> M are somewhat subdued. Was this a concession to
> American audiances or were Bernard Lee and Lois
> Maxwell's accents just what we hear?
>

>3) As much as I like this film, I always cringe when
> I hear Bond tell Quarrel to "Fetch my shoes...".
> My goodness, even in 1962 that must have seemed
> a bit inappropriate.
>

>6) Joseph Wiseman was superb as Dr. No. Whatever
> became of him?

1, Lois Maxwell is Canadian.. she never ever spoke with a English accent

3, I remember seeing DN at a 007 double feature, where there were a lot of
Black kids who rightfully got very upset with that line.. "Get your own damn
shoes"

6, He still around as far as I know (one of the few SEAN Bond baddies left)

Rosa Klebb, Grant, GF, Largo, Both Blofelts all long gone!

Vince
Check out the Super-Hard Show Biz Quiz (Special James Bond Section) at...
http://www.holvbphoto.com

Holvbphoto

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
In article <AHiY4.3327$Zm5.2...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Alfonso" <fedm...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>As far as yr question number six, Joseph Wiseman played a mobster
>named Manny Weisboard in the tv series 'Crime Story', which ran
>on NBC for a couple of years in the late 1980's. It was a very
>good tv show, but ultimately was cancelled, I believe, by reason
>of poor ratings. He's still alive as far as I know. I think his
>portrayl of Dr. No makes him one of the two best villains in the
>Bond series, the other being Auric Goldfinger, played by Gerte
>Frobe.

"Crime Story" GREAT SHOW!, hated that ending!, Luca from that show was on
"Walker" last week (Tony Denison)
I saw Mr Wiseman in a Broadway play back in the 70's where he play a Rabbie
plus it one can rent the TV Mini "QB VII" he plays Ben Grazza's father
(Wonderful role), he was also a mobster with Susan (AMC) "Lady Mobster"
He was in "Lawman" with Burt L., Mobster again in "Seletto" then there's...

YES I am a JW fan the man has class with a capitol CLASS!