FT: Bob Dylan and the Hawks--Hartford, CT 30 Oct. 1965

Doug

Mar 28, 2002, 12:50:25 PM3/28/02
Hello-- I am a long-time contributor to r.m.d. (less so these days)
and have traded with many people both here and at dylantree. This
previously unavailable recording recently came into my possession, and
I would like to share it. Since receiving the show, a long-time
authoritative Dylan collector has heard it and vouches for its
authenticity.

Here are the notes I've put together on the recording:

Artist: Bob Dylan & the Hawks
Location: Hartford, CT
Date: 30 October 1965
Disc Length: Approx. 45 minutes
Source: Master reel-to-reel-->CD-R
The story: My source got this from the taper (a family friend) in
2000, and simply "sat" on the CD (because he is not a Dylan trader).
It had never been circulated previously. The sound is definitely
better than the Feb. '66 shows that circulate, but probably not so
good as the Berkeley electric set from Dec. '65. I'd rate it a C+.
The taper got at least a few seconds of every song, but seemed to shut
things down if it was a tune he didn't particularly like. We get a
good number of complete tunes, but we also get a good number of
"snippets". For me, the highlight is "Maggie's Farm", which is
highlighted by an acappella opening (Bob sings "I ain't gonna work on
Maggie's Farm no more" twice over a lightly strummed guitar, and only
on the second "more" does the band come crashing in behind him).
There is also a "Judas!"-like cry of "Folk music!" from a frustrated
woman in the audience just before Bob starts playing "Ballad of a Thin
Man".

Track Listing:
1. She Belongs To Me (complete--3:23)
2. To Ramona/Gates of Eden (fragments--0:53)
3. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (complete--4:54)
4. Desolation Row/Love Minus Zero (fragments--1:12)
5. Mr. Tambourine Man (complete--6:41)
6. Tombstone Blues (complete--5:29)
7. Baby, Let Me Follow You Down (complete--3:47)
8. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (fragment--0:28)
9. Maggie's Farm (complete--4:06)
10. It Ain't Me Babe (complete--5:40)
11. Audience "Folk Music!" shout/Ballad of a Thin Man (fragment--0:59)
12. Positively 4th Street (complete--4:41)
13. Like A Rolling Stone (incomplete/out of tape?--3:04)

Please send me your links/lists if you want to trade. I will burn all
weekend and will take on as many swaps as I can possibly handle
(probably 30-40). I use TDK or Durabrand discs. I don't want to
profit from this, so if you send me a 2-disc show I'll send you this
'65 set and a blank. Priority will be given to those with other
master recordings and unbooted shows. If your e-mail gets returned,
it's because my mailbox is overflowing. I will delete e-mails as
quickly as possible, so try again.

Thank you,
Doug Evans

Don't Tread On Me

Mar 28, 2002, 7:39:13 PM3/28/02
Amazing.

Thanks Doug.

--
"To live outside the law you must be honest" - Bob Dylan
--

"Doug" <tram...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Doug

Mar 29, 2002, 10:08:08 AM3/29/02
Hi all-- I can no longer accept overseas offers. The show is already
scheduled to go to Italy, the UK, Germany, Finland, Canada, Norway,
France, Japan, New Zealand, Poland and Australia. It will rapidly
spread through those countries (and more), I am sure. I just can't
afford any more overseas postage at the moment.

U.S. offers are still being accepted.

Thanks,
Doug

HBOGAEV

Mar 29, 2002, 12:38:14 PM3/29/02

>U.S. offers are still being accepted.
>
>Thanks,
>Doug

Doug:

I'm afraid I have little in the way of Dylan to offer; however, I do possess
boots from other artists that may be of interest to you.

On another note, upon closer observation of your tapes' set list, it appears
painfully obvious that the "taper" cut off any "new", electric/rock type tunes
(which would have been my preferred ones to have), and let the tape roll for
the "tradtionally acceptable" Bob dylan the corduroy capped folkie tunes.....
Just my opinion, of course.

Thanks for making this available. Please consider my offer.

Yer friends,

Mim & Harry

Tricia J

Mar 29, 2002, 7:04:30 PM3/29/02
On 29 Mar 2002 17:38:14 GMT, hbo...@aol.com (HBOGAEV) wrote:

>On another note, upon closer observation of your tapes' set list, it appears
>painfully obvious that the "taper" cut off any "new", electric/rock type tunes
>(which would have been my preferred ones to have), and let the tape roll for
>the "tradtionally acceptable" Bob dylan the corduroy capped folkie tunes.....
>Just my opinion, of course.

I count five complete electric songs:

6. Tombstone Blues (complete--5:29)
7. Baby, Let Me Follow You Down (complete--3:47)

9. Maggie's Farm (complete--4:06)
10. It Ain't Me Babe (complete--5:40)

Doug

Mar 31, 2002, 4:58:25 PM3/31/02
Hi all-- The offer is now closed. I will try to do a round 2 in the
next week or two, but I'm guessing that others will also advertise it
here. I am still going through e-mails/lists and am trying to respond
to all. I mailed out 30 or so copies on Friday and Saturday, and will
be mailing another 20-25 tomorrow. Thanks to all who wrote!

Best,

Message has been deleted