Google Gruplar, artık yeni Usenet gönderilerini veya aboneliklerini desteklememektedir. Geçmişteki içerikler görüntülenebilir kalmaya devam edecek.

8086, may I present you Linux.

0 görüntüleme
İlk okunmamış mesaja atla

Vincent Rodrigue

okunmadı,
23 Ağu 1996 03:00:0023.08.1996
alıcı

Hi everyone,
I'm happy now! I just heard of a UNIX alike OS is on his way to 8086
CPUs. I have no idea if it'll work on Tandys but, it's a start.

http://www.linux.org.uk/Linux8086.html

At last, we can PPP! Can Tandy gourus give their opinions on that please.
--

CyberVince
~~~~~~~~~~

Benson L Chow

okunmadı,
23 Ağu 1996 03:00:0023.08.1996
alıcı

Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.tandy: 23-Aug-96 8086, may I present you
Linux. by Vincent Rodr...@cris.co
> I'm happy now! I just heard of a UNIX alike OS is on his way to 8086
> CPUs. I have no idea if it'll work on Tandys but, it's a start.
>
> http://www.linux.org.uk/Linux8086.html
>
> At last, we can PPP! Can Tandy gourus give their opinions on that please.
eh? not so fast!

8086 linux has a long way to go :(

Right now, only a basic kernel is operating...
Yeah it will work on 1000's i think (hopefully tandy didn't screw around
with the hardware too much)

(and networking...longer...)

-bc

barrym

okunmadı,
24 Ağu 1996 03:00:0024.08.1996
alıcı

:
: http://www.linux.org.uk/Linux8086.html
:
: At last, we can PPP! Can Tandy gourus give their opinions on that please.

Minix also works on an 8086. See comp.os.minix.

Minix does support PPP I think, but not for the 8086. I wonder
if that'll be true of Linux, too. One of the problems, I suspect,
is that in a multi-tasking system, it might be difficult for an
8086 to keep up with the demands of PPP while other tasks are
active. I don't know that this can't be done, but I do think
it might be stretching things a bit.

Barry

Vincent Rodrigue

okunmadı,
24 Ağu 1996 03:00:0024.08.1996
alıcı

barrym (bar...@neosoft.com) wrote:

: Vincent Rodrigue (Cvi...@cris.com) wrote:
: : At last, we can PPP! Can Tandy gourus give their opinions on that please.

: Minix also works on an 8086. See comp.os.minix.

I tought Minix was for custumized systems like Alex and such. I'll go see
that right away. Thanks.

Jeffrey L. Hayes

okunmadı,
25 Ağu 1996 03:00:0025.08.1996
alıcı

Vincent Rodrigue wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I'm happy now! I just heard of a UNIX alike OS is on his way to 8086
> CPUs. I have no idea if it'll work on Tandys but, it's a start.
>
> http://www.linux.org.uk/Linux8086.html
>
> At last, we can PPP! Can Tandy gourus give their opinions on that please.
> --
>
> CyberVince
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> Cvi...@cris.com
> http://www.cris.com/~Cvince

Linux requires at least a 386 and 2 meg RAM (EMS doesn't count),
preferably 4 meg, and for X Windows, 8. There is another Unix available
that will run on an 8086 with 640k, Minix.

PPP is possible on a Tandy 1000 running Tandy DOS (preferably 3.x or
later). There are several programs for DOS/PPP available on my site.

For more info, see the Tandy 1000-series FAQ:

http://www.agate.net/~tvdog/1kfaq117.html
ftp://ftp.agate.net/users/01935/tandy1000/documents/1kfaq117.txt

I run Linux on a Tandy 4033LX with 16 meg RAM, and it's great - if you
have a capable machine. It's good to have a math coprocessor for it if
you can get one, but it will run without.

jlh <tv...@agate.net>

Tom Guptill

okunmadı,
25 Ağu 1996 03:00:0025.08.1996
alıcı

The point of this whole post was that the ELKS (Embedded Linux Kernel
System) kernel is now bootable on 8086- and 80286-based machines. It's
still in the early stages of development (i.e. "init" isn't written yet),
but it looks like this project is going to be successful and we're going to
see a stripped-down Linux for 8- and 16-bit PCs. The Zilog Z80 is also on
the long-term list of development goals, though there are some pretty big
technical problems getting memory management and swapping to work. (Could
we see a TRS-80 UNIX?)

However, you can now no longer say "Linux will only run on 32-bit systems".
The ELKS kernel boots from floppy, there is a shell ("ash"), and there are
basic utilities. As soon as "init" is done, you may even see a bootable
developer's distribution.

Further project information can be found by searching altavista or your
favorite web indexer.

- Tom

> http://www.agate.net/~tvdog/1kfaq117.html
> ftp://ftp.agate.net/users/01935/tandy1000/documents/1kfaq117.txt

>jlh <tv...@agate.net>
Tom Guptill t...@EOJ.mv.com

Trevor Jenkins

okunmadı,
30 Ağu 1996 03:00:0030.08.1996
alıcı Tom Guptill

In article <4vl0br$1...@herald.concentric.net> <3220296D...@tvdog.sdi.agate.net> <1996Aug25.1...@galileo.cc.rochester.edu>,
tgpt...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tom Guptill) wrote:

> The point of this whole post was that the ELKS (Embedded Linux Kernel
> System) kernel is now bootable on 8086- and 80286-based machines. It's
> still in the early stages of development (i.e. "init" isn't written yet),

The sources snapshot dated 11-August-1996 includes an init. :-) It also includes
a login, an ls and instructions on how to build ash. :-) A visit to the ELKS
home page <http://www.linux.org.uk/elks> should guide you to the appropriate
files on <ftp://linux.mit.edu>.

[I do not normally read this group so email any comments. Isn't DejaNews
wonderful? :-)]
This article was posted to Usenet via the Posting Service at Deja News:
http://www.dejanews.com/ [Search, Post, and Read Usenet News!]

0 yeni ileti