ANNOUNCE: NewzPoint v1.3

Michael Jacobson

Apr 3, 2002, 12:18:48 PM4/3/02
What is NewzPoint?

Good question...

* It is a tabbed layout display of multiple web pages using a
configuration file to automaticlly generate the display.
* Refresh rates are set for each page to keep them updated.
* Change the page location or the refresh rates on the fly.
* Add pages and Groups on the fly
* Ability to generate html pages (used in the comics page)

What does this really mean to me...

* Keep the webpages as current as your want, quickly accessible,
using a minimal ammount of space
* It pulls content from the web (not content pusher)

Requirements
* Tcl/Tk version 8.3.4 (or greater) or TclKit
* Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 (or greater)
* Microsoft Windows 95 (or greater)

Installation
* Download links available from the Tcl Wiki page on NewzPoint
http://wiki.tcl.tk/newzpoint
or
http://mini.net/tcl/2952.html
* If you have Tcl/Tk installed:
1. download newzpoint13.zip
2. unzip the file (keep the tree structure)
3. run the newzpoint.tcl file

* You just want to run NewzPoint (and Tcl/Tk is not installed):
1. download newzpoint13_tclkit.zip
2. download TclKit for Windows if not already installed
3. unzip all the files to a directory
4. run the newzpoint.bat file

Invoked by:
wish83.exe newzpoint13.tcl
or
(double click) newzpoint13.tcl
or
tclkit newzpoint13.bin

Configuration
Current version is 1.3 (3/28/2002)

* fixed focus issue with optcl and tk by using ffidl
* Add ability to Add Group or Page on the fly
* Added help files
* Relayed out the Buttons on Interface
* Initial Support for tkHtml/browser (no quite there but...started)

See newzpoint.ini file for more information (not generated until you
have run newzpoint one time)

[[Send Tcl/Tk announcements to tcl-an...@mitchell.org
Send administrivia to tcl-announ...@mitchell.org
The primary Tcl/Tk archive is ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/ ]]

Laurent Duperval

Apr 3, 2002, 12:40:20 PM4/3/02
With Tk 8.4 I get this error (which I've seen often with applications
developed with 8.3):

Error in startup script: ambiguous option "-col": must be -column, -columnspan, -in, -ipadx, -ipady, -padx, -pady, -row, -rowspan, or -sticky
while executing
"grid .toolbar -row 1 -col 1 -sticky ew"
(file "/usr/local/soft/incoming/NewzPoint/bin/main.tcl" line 220)
invoked from within
"source [file join [pwd] bin main.tcl]
"
(file "./newzpoint13.tcl" line 28)

Also, in the intialisation section, there's a

package require Tkhtml

missing.

On Unix, it takes a long time for NewzPoint to come up. The spash screen
remains on top of all other windows during that time, which makes the
screen unusable until NP has finished loading.

Hmmmm... When NP finally comes up, I get this:

X Error of failed request: BadGC (invalid GC parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 62 (X_CopyArea)
Resource id in failed request: 0x403c9d28
Serial number of failed request: 5614

and it exits. I'm not sure if the problem lies with my setup or not. I'll
have to get the latest CVS code before I can tell.

Laurent Duperval <mailto:laurent....@masq.ca>

"The bug is mightier than the fix."
Cyrano deBuggerac

Jeff Hobbs

Apr 3, 2002, 1:15:19 PM4/3/02
Laurent Duperval wrote:

> With Tk 8.4 I get this error (which I've seen often with applications
> developed with 8.3):
>
> Error in startup script: ambiguous option "-col": must be -column, -columnspan,

This is a problem others are going to see when upgrading to 8.4, only
because <=8.3 was completely incorrect in allowing the ambiguous -col
option be recognized by 'grid'. This was actually a bug in Tk, and
was fixed when Peter Spjuth upgrade the pack and grid code to use
Tcl_Obj's.

--
Jeff Hobbs The Tcl Guy
Senior Developer http://www.ActiveState.com/

Laurent Duperval

Apr 3, 2002, 1:20:15 PM4/3/02
In <88Hq8.30338$0n2.1...@wagner.videotron.net>, Laurent Duperval wrote:

> With Tk 8.4 I get this error (which I've seen often with applications
> developed with 8.3):

Here's more:

X crash I reported has to do with one of the pages loaded. If I remove
everything except the comics (which is really why I want NP in the first
place) it comes up almost OK. The UComics tab shows nothing. :-( THe
comics.html page generated by NP crashes Mozilla, but can be displayed
correctly in BrowseX. Guess Tkhtml has one up on Gecko!

Laurent Duperval <mailto:laurent....@masq.ca>

HOARE'S LAW OF LARGE PROGRAMS
Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out.

Michael Jacobson

Apr 3, 2002, 11:47:14 PM4/3/02
Laurent Duperval <laurent....@masq.ca> wrote in message news:<88Hq8.30338$0n2.1...@wagner.videotron.net>...

> With Tk 8.4 I get this error (which I've seen often with applications
> developed with 8.3):
>
> Error in startup script: ambiguous option "-col": must be -column, -columnspan, -in, -ipadx, -ipady, -padx, -pady, -row, -rowspan, or -sticky
> while executing
> "grid .toolbar -row 1 -col 1 -sticky ew"
> (file "/usr/local/soft/incoming/NewzPoint/bin/main.tcl" line 220)
> invoked from within
> "source [file join [pwd] bin main.tcl]
> "
> (file "./newzpoint13.tcl" line 28)

Sorry I was using 8.3.4 and did not check it against 8.4 but it is
fixed in the 1.4 release.

Mike Jacobson

Laurent Duperval

Apr 4, 2002, 7:29:09 PM4/4/02
On Wed, 03 Apr 2002 23:47:14 -0500, Michael Jacobson wrote:
> Sorry I was using 8.3.4 and did not check it against 8.4 but it is fixed
> in the 1.4 release.

Already at work on the new version? Man, you don't waste time, do you?
:-)

Here's another one: On Linux, the Refresh method is incorrectly
implemented. After the refresh rate is reached, I get an error saying
that Refresh is not supported. That's because the Refresh command is sent
to the HTML widget which doesn't support it. I'll try to write up a patch
to fix this.

Another thingie: wuold it be possible to generate the .ini file *before*
trying to render the pages? As I was debugging by original X crash
problem, I hade to go thru the code to remove the code that set up the
Web pages, while it would have been better to modify the .ini file. But
since I was always crashing, the .ini file was never being generated.

Also, the newzpoint14.zip file, although it's advertised on you Web site,
can't be downloaded. Maybe I'm too early...

That's it, I'll stop being a whiner now. :-)

Laurent Duperval <mailto:ldup...@videotron.ca>

Ignorez-vous donc qu'avec l'oisiveté, la boisson et les bandes dessinées,
l'ignorance est la mčre de tous les vices?
-Achille Talon

Michael Jacobson

Apr 5, 2002, 6:49:53 AM4/5/02
Laurent Duperval <ldup...@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:<qd6r8.5519$dX4.3...@weber.videotron.net>...

> On Wed, 03 Apr 2002 23:47:14 -0500, Michael Jacobson wrote:
> > Sorry I was using 8.3.4 and did not check it against 8.4 but it is fixed
> > in the 1.4 release.
> >

> Another thingie: wuold it be possible to generate the .ini file *before*
> trying to render the pages? As I was debugging by original X crash
> problem, I hade to go thru the code to remove the code that set up the
> Web pages, while it would have been better to modify the .ini file. But
> since I was always crashing, the .ini file was never being generated.

I included the ini file in the NewzPoint 1.4 release.

> Also, the newzpoint14.zip file, although it's advertised on you Web site,
> can't be downloaded. Maybe I'm too early...
I messed up the file name when I uploaded it last night. It is fixed now.

Mike Jacobson