Are there any Oracle bloggers out there?

Mark Rittman

Jun 17, 2003, 9:16:52 AM6/17/03
Why are there no blogs written by Oracle employees or Developers?

When my blog together (www.rittman.net/blog.htm) together I had a look
around blogger.com and technorati.com to see if anyone else was blogging on
working at Oracle, or developing using Oracle tools. So far i've found
virtually nothing. There's many, many Microsoft blogs around, the best of
which, 'Better Living Through Software', 'Gav's Ramble', 'Addicted To
Digital Media', 'Eric Rudder's Blog' and 'JimmyGrewal.com' I read every day
even though I don't do much development using Microsoft software.

Microsoft seem to have an enlighted attitude to blogging and their people
come across as having a geniune passion for the technology. It's
dissappointing that there isn't a similar Oracle blogging community out
there; I've posted this message to see if there are any other Oracle
bloggers out there; let me know if you've got one and we can 'cross-link'.

thanks

Mark Rittman
ma...@rittman.org

Joel Garry

Jun 17, 2003, 8:02:34 PM6/17/03
"Mark Rittman" <markr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3eef14b8$0$7761$fa0f...@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>...

Maybe blogging is just self-absorbed drivel and Oracle people are more
interested in communicating and solving problems? Or maybe Oracle is
just too much work to allow time for blogging? Or maybe bloggers are
Mac or MS-centric people and Oracle people understand multiuser issues
on a higher level? Or maybe people just can't stand black letters on
a white background?

(Please understand that I don't like most BB software that the Oracle
discussion boards use either. If it were up to me, we'd all be
posting with line mode unix newsreaders).

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.

Billy Verreynne

Jun 18, 2003, 3:08:10 AM6/18/03
Joel Garry wrote:

> (Please understand that I don't like most BB software that the Oracle
> discussion boards use either. If it were up to me, we'd all be
> posting with line mode unix newsreaders).

Or old off-line DOS mail readers.. like RoboMail or BlueWave.

I wondered what happened to Sparky...?

--
Billy

Mark Rittman

Jun 18, 2003, 2:49:02 AM6/18/03
Joel

You're probably right that your average Oracle DBA is more comfortable using
Usenet and Unix than a web browser and web publishing tools. However, it's
worth noting that Microsoft have taken a conscious decision to get their
tech staff writing blogs, entering into a dialog with their customers and
developers and putting across the company's 'human side'.

It just seems a shame to me that there isn't an equivalent community out
there, blogging about working with Oracle technology. I've worked with
Oracle tools for around seven years now and I wouldn't work with anything
else, however as we all know, they can be a pain as well. I'm starting to
think that perhaps the reason there's no blogging community out there is for
two reasons; one, Oracle DBAs and Developers are less predisposed to use new
tools and technology such as blogging tools, and secondly, there isn't that
same excitement about the Oracle tools and products.

Or maybe i'm wrong?

"Joel Garry" <joel-...@home.com> wrote in message

Niall Litchfield

Jun 18, 2003, 4:37:27 AM6/18/03

> Joel
>
> You're probably right that your average Oracle DBA is more comfortable
using
> Usenet and Unix than a web browser and web publishing tools. However, it's
> worth noting that Microsoft have taken a conscious decision to get their
> tech staff writing blogs, entering into a dialog with their customers and
> developers and putting across the company's 'human side'.

But that may not necessarily be the case for ever

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,4248,1128705,00.asp

Like Oracle wishing to have some control over what Oracle employees post in
various forums this seems somewhat sensible for a large organisation.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA