inet tools

1 view

Marcel Hendrix

Dec 27, 2002, 12:16:27 PM12/27/02
I've wrapped up the internet related tools I worked on for the past
two weeks.

The archive contains:

Libraries - sockets.frt, buffers.frt, sstream.frt
pmail - SMTP example, sends mail to a single receiver, or
sends an article to a usenet group.
mail - POP3 example, gets e-mail.
news - NNTP example, fetches all new news articles from all
subscribed groups. Keeps read pointers up to date.
telnet - simple polling telnet client example.
scoot - HTTP GET example checks a list of URLs for changes since
the last view.

The library packages assume your Forth can at least open and close
sockets. The file sockets.frt is mostly glue, but it also implements
timeouts on reads. I found it useful to encapsulate the socket read / write
calls in a buffered stream wrapper. The buffers auto allocate /
deallocate if your Forth has the necessary hooks.

The pmail program allows to post a single article (in a text file)
directly to a single usenet newsgroup. The same program also allows
to send an email (located again in a text file) directly to a single
addressee. A copy is mailed to yourself automatically. Does not handle
attachments but you can uuencode a binary and paste it in the e-mail
if the receiving party is sufficiently smart.

The mail program checks your mailbox (located at your ISP) and appends
any new mail to a textfile. You're supposed to read it with a text
editor.

The news program is slightly more complicated. Using a defining word
NEWSGROUP a linked list of newsgroups is created. These groups are from
then on scanned for new articles (a read pointer is kept per group).
Any new articles are put in text files, one per newsgroup. The
articles are again read using your text editor.

The telnet program is a simple polling telnet client. It does not do
keyboard and screen emulation, but with some luck the receiving end
allows you to set a TERM environment variable that matches your local
layout nicely.

The scoot program is for completeness only. It shows how to GET internet
pages from an URL. I use a variant of this program to keep a tab on a
list of internet pages I am interested in. Once such a page changes I
get a notification printed to my console window. The advantage is that
scoot runs in parallel to all other things you are doing [on the
internet], so you don't have to wait for the pages to load.

The inet.zip package is at http://home.iae.nl/users/mhx/pipes&socks.html.

-marcel

Richard Owlett

Dec 27, 2002, 5:56:17 PM12/27/02

Marcel Hendrix wrote:

> I've wrapped up the internet related tools I worked on for the past
> two weeks.
>

> [SNIP]

> The inet.zip package is at http://home.iae.nl/users/mhx/pipes&socks.html.

I repeatedly get a "server not found" message using both Netscape 4.x
and Mozzilla 1.x .

What should I do to document the problem for my ISP?

Marcel Hendrix

Dec 27, 2002, 6:08:15 PM12/27/02
Richard Owlett <row...@atlascomm.net> Re: [OT] Probable ISP problem was {Re: inet tools}

Try it again, my ISP is not that good and maybe they had trouble (but not just
now, I checked).

Try to escape that '&' character, maybe your software doesn't allow it in a
link (note: MS IE vsn 3.0 works just fine :-)

Did you copy/paste the final 'l' in ...s.html?

-marcel

Richard Owlett

Dec 27, 2002, 6:27:47 PM12/27/02
I've tried both http://home.iae.nl and home.iae.nl in both Netscape
and Mozilla with the same result.

I had a similar problem accessing the newsgroup server used by my ISP
a while back. It ended up being attributed to a combination of
problems. The ISP's owner ( it's a local firm ) attributed most of the
problem to Worldcom being his connection to the backbone.

At that time DNS problems were also considered part of the mix as a
numeric address for newsgroup server worked properly.
My ISP is cooperative, I just have to know what info to give him so he
can do his thing.

Wil Baden

Dec 27, 2002, 7:59:29 PM12/27/02
In article <3E0CDA91...@atlascomm.net>, Richard Owlett
<row...@atlascomm.net> wrote:

I had the same trouble until I droppd the "." at the end.

Jim Lawless

Dec 30, 2002, 9:33:41 PM12/30/02
On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 17:27:47 -0600, Richard Owlett
<row...@atlascomm.net> wrote:

>I've tried both http://home.iae.nl and home.iae.nl in both Netscape
>and Mozilla with the same result.

Richard, you might want to add the entry to your HOSTS file like this:

212.61.26.35 home.iae.net

( In Windows 95 this file is in C:\windows or c:\win95 ... in NT it's
in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc ... I dunno where the file lives in
Linux .)

Jim Lawless * ji...@radiks.net * http://www.radiks.net/~jimbo
http://www.mailsend-online.com * Command-line e-mail tools,
tiny scheduler, DUN hangup, batch script language