Q: Using a Dell Lattitude C600 and an external display

Rafe Colburn

Jul 30, 2002, 1:20:44 PM7/30/02
I'm running Red Hat 7.3 on a Dell Lattitude C600 laptop with a Dell
P991 monitor. (I also hooked it up to a Samsung monitor and it didn't
work with that one either.)

The laptop has an ATI Rage 128 Mobility graphics adapter. The X
config program detects all of that stuff correctly, and when I tell it
to test my configuration, it just stops sending a signal to the
external monitor (which works fine in console mode).

When I run startx, it also stops sending a signal to the monitor,
and I believe what happens is that it is trying to start X on the
laptop's internal display.

The reason I say that is that startx prints out a couple of lines to
the error log referring to a Hitachi TFT display, which is what the
internal display on the laptop is.

I have a feeling this is a configuration issue of some kind -- I need
to specify in XF86Config-4 that I want to use the monitor port on the
laptop for my display, not the internal display.

Any advice would be appreciated.

--Rafe

Paul F. Kunz

Jul 31, 2002, 10:02:04 AM7/31/02
rafeco...@rc3.org (Rafe Colburn) writes:

> I'm running Red Hat 7.3 on a Dell Lattitude C600 laptop with a Dell
> P991 monitor. (I also hooked it up to a Samsung monitor and it didn't
> work with that one either.)

Try adding the "Option" in the section below of your XF86Config-4 file...

--
Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI Rage 128 Mobility"