comp.lang.forth mail to news gateway

Samuel Tardieu

Jan 17, 2003, 12:30:56 PM1/17/03
to comp.la...@ada.eu.org
For some friends of mine, I have setup a bidirectional email gateway
with the comp.lang.forth newsgroup. If you subscribe to this service,
you will be able to:

- receive comp.lang.forth posts in your mailbox as they arrive

- receive comp.lang.forth posts in your mailbox as a digest (once a
day or when the cumulative size reaches a threshold)

- post to comp.lang.forth by sending a mail to
comp.la...@ada.eu.org (if you are not subscribed, your mails
will be held until a moderator approves them)

Anyone is free to use this service (free of charge of course). More
info at:

Enjoy.

Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- s...@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam

Michael L Gassanenko

Jan 20, 2003, 9:14:41 AM1/20/03
Usually a posting to a newsgroup reveals one's address to spammers.
For example, I've got tons of spam in my yahoo spambox.

Can your gate replace my From: address with something else?
(e.g. m_l...@no.sp.am.mi.ng.yahoo.com)
Can my From: address be different from the address that I have
subscribed?

X-Addict

Jan 20, 2003, 11:52:56 AM1/20/03
In article <b5ecdf44.03012...@posting.google.com>, Michael L Gassanenko wrote:
> Usually a posting to a newsgroup reveals one's address to spammers.
> For example, I've got tons of spam in my yahoo spambox.
>
> Can your gate replace my From: address with something else?
> (e.g. m_l...@no.sp.am.mi.ng.yahoo.com)
> Can my From: address be different from the address that I have
> subscribed?

I downloaded the mailman code (a python app) and it doesn't
appear to support such a feature from what little I gleaned
from the docs and a quick grep of the source code. It does
look like it might keep some of the spam from getting to the
users via the list, but not in hiding the address of a list
sender.

Samuel Tardieu

Jan 20, 2003, 12:32:42 PM1/20/03

Michael> Can your gate replace my From: address with something else?
Michael> (e.g. m_l...@no.sp.am.mi.ng.yahoo.com) Can my From: address
Michael> be different from the address that I have subscribed?

Nope, it can't. Even if it is common practice, this violates RFC 1036
which says:

The "From" line contains the electronic mailing address of the
person who sent the message, in the Internet syntax.

As far as I am concerned, I use SpamAssassin
(http://www.spamassassin.org/) to filter my incoming messages for
obvious spam and WLE (http://www.rfc1149.net/wle) to filter incoming
messages from unknown senders (using a confirmation mechanism).

Michael L Gassanenko

Jan 20, 2003, 8:05:56 PM1/20/03
Samuel Tardieu <s...@rfc1149.net> wrote in message news:<871y37l...@inf.enst.fr>...

> Michael> Can your gate replace my From: address with something else?
> Michael> (e.g. m_l...@no.sp.am.mi.ng.yahoo.com) Can my From: address
> Michael> be different from the address that I have subscribed?
>
> Nope, it can't. Even if it is common practice, this violates RFC 1036
> which says:
>
> The "From" line contains the electronic mailing address of the
> person who sent the message, in the Internet syntax.

This does not violate RFC 1036: nothing is wrong with the syntax.
Semantics/pragmatics may be different, but that is a different issue.

If it had, say, the characters with codes <20h in the address,
that would be a violation of syntax. The use of a non-existing
name and domain is not.

Samuel Tardieu

Jan 21, 2003, 1:40:48 AM1/21/03
>> Nope, it can't. Even if it is common practice, this violates RFC
>> 1036 which says:
>>
>> The "From" line contains the electronic mailing address of the
>> person who sent the message, in the Internet syntax.

Michael> This does not violate RFC 1036: nothing is wrong with the
Michael> syntax. Semantics/pragmatics may be different, but that is a
Michael> different issue.

This *does* violate it. If you use "m_l_nospam...@yahoo.nospam.com"
and this address is not valid, this is not your electronic mailing
address even if it uses a correct syntax. You cannot write "I comply
with one part of the rule (the syntax), therefore I comply with the
rule".

Sam -- s...@REMOVETHIS.eu.org

Marcel Hendrix

Jan 21, 2003, 12:17:31 PM1/21/03
"Samuel Tardieu" <s...@NOSPAM.eu.org> wrote in message news:87znpv8...@inf.enst.fr...

This is the kind of humour I never can understand. So both of you
are faking your real email addresses, even multiple times.

There were times (when I had a feature-laden reader) when I would put
people who did that in my kill file (not for the humour, for the faking).
This is giving in to the evil forces that want to corrupt the 'net.

-marcel

Michael L Gassanenko

Jan 21, 2003, 5:20:34 PM1/21/03
Samuel Tardieu <s...@NOSPAM.eu.org> wrote in message news:<87znpv8...@inf.enst.fr>...

m_l...@REMOVE.THIS.yahoo.com *is* my e-mail address presented in the
form readable for humans and unreadable for robots and complying to
the Internet syntax.

Probably in 1989 I would say that it violates RFC in spirit
(since it does not violate it in letter ;-) , but now we have
a situation that is qualitalively different from what was
there in the beginning of Internet.

( I can tell you a story of a contract that was not put into
practice because an e-mail was lost among spam. If litigation is
your hobby, I can arrange giving you details and the right
to use them on behalf of the guy who lost profit. )

------

Well, I would be more interested in a compromise:
I post messages from my spam-free address, and your
service substitutes that with the address of my yahoo spambox.

This will not violate any RFC's neither in spirit nor
in letter.

--
"Are there bugs?"
"Never bothered!"

Samuel Tardieu

Jan 22, 2003, 8:57:41 AM1/22/03

>> Sam -- s...@REMOVETHIS.eu.org

Marcel> This is the kind of humour I never can understand. So both of
Marcel> you are faking your real email addresses, even multiple times.

Marcel> There were times (when I had a feature-laden reader) when I
Marcel> would put people who did that in my kill file (not for the
Marcel> humour, for the faking). This is giving in to the evil forces
Marcel> that want to corrupt the 'net.

I did not fake my email address. s...@REMOVETHIS.eu.org is a perfectly
valid email, as is s...@NOSPAM.eu.org.

Do you want marcel@ on those two domains to be forwarded to your
address? :)

Jerry Avins

Jan 22, 2003, 1:58:31 PM1/22/03
to s...@removethis.eu.org, s...@nospam.eu.org

More humor? Let's see ...

Jerry

Charles Steinkuehler

Feb 2, 2003, 6:46:18 PM2/2/03
Samuel Tardieu wrote:
> For some friends of mine, I have setup a bidirectional email gateway
> with the comp.lang.forth newsgroup. If you subscribe to this service,
> you will be able to:

<snip>

> Anyone is free to use this service (free of charge of course). More
> info at:

Thank you for providing this service! I for one appreciate it, and
have signed up.

Charles Steinkuehler

Arthur T. Murray

Feb 17, 2003, 2:58:54 AM2/17/03
Samuel Tardieu <s...@rfc1149.net> wrote in message

> For some friends of mine, I have setup a bidirectional email gateway
> with the comp.lang.forth newsgroup. If you subscribe to this service,

> you will be able to: [...]

> - post to comp.lang.forth by sending a mail to
> comp.la...@ada.eu.org (if you are not subscribed,
> your mails will be held until a moderator approves them)

I have taken the liberty of linking from the Mind.Forth AI at
http://www.seedai.e-mind.org/mind4th.html -- and elsewhere --
to this exciting new service so as to answer Forth AI questions.

Forth AI questions ought not to go only to the original author,
but to the genius braintrust of the universe of all Forth programmers,
hobnobbing and "holding Forth" in news:comp.lang.forth like
the ancient Greek gods on Mount Olympus, high above Wirthless coders.

> Anyone is free to use this service (free of charge of course).
> More info at:

> Enjoy.
>
> Sam

Arthur T. Murray
--
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/theory5.html -- AI4U Theory of Mind;
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/jsaimind.html -- Tutorial "Mind-1.1"

Arthur T. Murray

Feb 17, 2003, 10:28:45 AM2/17/03
ment...@scn.org (Arthur T. Murray) wrote on 16 Feb 2003:
> Samuel Tardieu <s...@rfc1149.net> wrote in message
>
>> For some friends of mine, I have setup a bidirectional email gateway
>> with the comp.lang.forth newsgroup. If you subscribe to this service,
>> you will be able to: [...]
>> - post to comp.lang.forth by sending a mail to
>> comp.la...@ada.eu.org (if you are not subscribed,
>> your mails will be held until a moderator approves them)
>
> I have taken the liberty of linking from the Mind.Forth AI at
> http://www.seedai.e-mind.org/mind4th.html -- and elsewhere --
> to this exciting new service so as to answer Forth AI questions. [...]
Addendum:
http://mentifex.futureai.com/mind4th.html now also links to the
gateway for news:comp.lang.forth as part of a plan for the AI
in Forth to "take on alife of its own" in the cybernetic future.

Followups set to news:comp.ai so as to pre-emptive-strike "flames."