[Bandai] Power Rangers trading cards

1 view

Ryan Johnson

Nov 25, 2003, 5:58:25 PM11/25/03
Bandai America, Inc. Enters Hot Collectible Gaming Arena

Cypress, CA, November 24, 2003 --

Bandai America Incorporated today announced its entry into the collectible
card game (CCG) category. Already known for developing cutting-edge toy
products, the company will now bring those same design skills to the game
aisle.

First to hit shelves in December 2003 will be games based on the popular
Superior Defender (SD) toy line and Cartoon Network hit animated series of
the same name. Also appearing in January will be Knights of the Zodiac -
another animated property with a loyal following. CCGs for Bandai
powerhouses Gundam and Digimon will debut in June.

"Bandai has a unique understanding of these popular Japanese properties that
has helped sustain their success for so many years," said Bill Beebe, senior
vice president of sales and marketing, Bandai America. "We are taking that
knowledge and translating it to the design and game play of these cards.
Fans will now be able to explore the fantastic worlds of these properties in
ways they have not been able to before."

To aid in accomplishing this goal, an entirely new division and design team
has been created at Bandai to make a unique gaming experience for fans and
collectors. Distinct game play has been created for each property, rather
than simply recycling the same game with new graphics for different brands -
a complaint often heard in the gaming community. Dedicated websites for each
individual game will also be accessible online with rules, tactics, tips and
even upcoming tournament information.

"Bandai is going to be a major player in this category," noted Danny
Satyapan, marketing manager for Bandai America's new Cards and Collectibles
division. "We have assembled a top-notch team of designers and game
developers dedicated to bringing Bandai's coolest properties to life in the
CCG arena."

2004 will also mark Bandai's entry in the Collectible Miniature Game (CMG)
category. Set for release in June is an original CMG entitled Navia Drapt,
which combines minor game play elements of chess with unique magical
qualities, offering a multitude of strategic possibilities. Gamers will use
a unique flip-dial system to attribute different strengths and values to
incredibly detailed miniature pieces.

Initial assortments for all games will include main starter sets and
assortments of booster packs to increase gaming options. To keep players and
collectors engaged, new booster sets will be released every three months
throughout the year, ensuring the games remain fresh and unpredictable.

Bandai also plans to offer an assortment of trading cards based on the
popular Power Rangers property. These cards, with their sleek, eye-catching
designs, will mark the first time trading cards for the popular boys brand
have been available since the first season of the television show nearly a
decade ago.

--

Although the press release's info on the history of "Power Rangers" trading
cards is a little off (first time since the first season? um, not quite),

--
Ryan Johnson
eclipto...@yahoo.com

Yellow Lightning

Nov 26, 2003, 3:06:08 PM11/26/03
"Ryan Johnson" <eclipto...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>CCGs for Bandai powerhouses Gundam and Digimon will debut in June.

Why on earth are they still making Digimon anything?

> Although the press release's info on the history of "Power Rangers"
trading
> cards is a little off (first time since the first season? um, not quite),
> this news is promising, and I look forward to seeing 'em. But does this
mean
> the "Power Rangers Ninja Storm" trading cards are off the table?

It sounds like it. I have to wonder how all these cards will do. Isn't the
card game phase just about over?