Issue 341 in zxing: Support pdf417 on iphones and Android phones

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 7, 2010, 6:23:10 PM2/7/10
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 341 by webjamy: Support pdf417 on iphones and Android phones
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=341

Hi,

First : thanks for your great job, it's very nice ;)

I have a question about support "decode pdf417" on mobile devices.
I see here :
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=323&can=1&q=pdf417
that pdf417 will not support.

Can you tell me why this barcode isn't support on Android phones and
iPhones ?
Now, we have a 5 million pixels on board and 3 for iPhones.
I would like to try on an android phone but before develop it I would like
what do you think
about ?

Thx

JM

http://code.google.com/hosting/settings

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 7, 2010, 7:33:07 PM2/7/10
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Updates:
Labels: -Type-Defect Type-Enhancement

Comment #1 on issue 341 by sro...@gmail.com: Support pdf417 on iphones and
Android phones
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=341

It's not a question of pixels, but of both focus and blur. Even with
auto-focus cameras
(which the iPhone doesn't have, except the 3GS), hand-shake blurs the image
and
makes it quite hard to decode PDF417, which was not meant to be scanned
this way.

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 8, 2010, 10:07:45 AM2/8/10
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 341 by webjamy: Support pdf417 on iphones and Android
phones
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=341

Ok, thx for your answer.

Nevertheless, if I want decode pdf417 on android, just to try it.
In BarCodeScanner code, I changed the method setDecodeAllMode() in
com.google.zxing.client.android.DecodeThread like this :

private void setDecodeAllMode() {
doSetDecodeMode(BarcodeFormat.UPC_A,
BarcodeFormat.UPC_E,
BarcodeFormat.EAN_13,
BarcodeFormat.EAN_8,
BarcodeFormat.CODE_39,
BarcodeFormat.CODE_128,
BarcodeFormat.ITF,
BarcodeFormat.QR_CODE,
BarcodeFormat.PDF417); //ADD PDF417 support
}

Is it ok ?

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 8, 2010, 2:44:41 PM2/8/10
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #3 on issue 341 by dswit...@google.com: Support pdf417 on iphones

You can test it for yourself of course, but we won't accept this change to
be checked in. Besides not working well,
it will slow down scanning significantly.

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 11, 2010, 9:22:22 AM2/11/10
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #4 on issue 341 by webjamy: Support pdf417 on iphones and Android
phones
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=341

Oki thank you.

I test it on Motorola Milestone (Android) and it works partialy.
Some PDF417 can't be decode (bad print, ...).

zx...@googlecode.com

Jan 31, 2011, 9:08:15 PM1/31/11
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #5 on issue 341 by genger...@opencloudconsultants.com: Support
pdf417 on iphones and Android phones
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=341

I could REALLY Use PDF417 support in some form from the camera or any Addon
equipment (via Bluetooth), card reader peripheral, etc.

HELP.

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 5, 2011, 8:40:55 PM4/5/11
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #6 on issue 341 by ch...@conclude.co.za: Support pdf417 on iphones

any news on PDF417 support?, something that would really help me if anyone
has a mobile solution?

Spidey / Claudio

Apr 5, 2011, 9:17:22 PM4/5/11
to zx...@googlegroups.com, zx...@googlecode.com
You just need to set the HINTS extra on the request Intent to PDF417.

Claudio Roberto França Pereira (a.k.a. Spidey)
hardMOB - HTForum - @spideybr
Engenharia de Computação - UFES 2006/1

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 11, 2011, 12:27:24 PM4/11/11
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #7 on issue 341 by mark.hen...@gmail.com: Support pdf417 on iphones

Could this be disabled by default, but be available as a user selectable
option?

zx...@googlecode.com

Jun 30, 2012, 1:44:27 AM6/30/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #8 on issue 341 by benn.bol...@gmail.com: Support pdf417 on iphones
I agree; even if the functionality is poor, increasing quality in cameras
will result in greater accuracy on parsing these images. There are already
enable/disable options for three types, adding one more seems extremely
reasonable.

Message has been deleted

zx...@googlecode.com

Jan 4, 2013, 12:14:21 PM1/4/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #10 on issue 341 by ada...@gmail.com: Support pdf417 on iphones and
Android phones
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=341

I ported the C# code to objective-C and integrated it with the latest zxing
codebase and checked it all into github for scanning PDF 417 barcodes. It
definitely works for some barcodes in the ScanTest application. You can
download this at: https://github.com/adamgf/zxing_iphone_pdf_417