Zotero vs. Mendeley?

swatki

Feb 27, 2009, 1:22:38 PM2/27/09
to zotero-ev...@googlegroups.com
I just saw a link to Mendeley, which appears to have many features planned for future Zotero development.

http://www.mendeley.com

Anybody from Zotero have any thoughts on Mendeley? What are the advantages of using Zotero over Mendeley?

thanks,
scott

Peter Bae

Feb 27, 2009, 4:14:27 PM2/27/09
to Zotero Evangelists
Scott

Thank you for the information.I am testing it now.

It seems the Mendeley focuses more on the social networking features
than bibliographic record management feature. I tried to add some
records into the Mendeley but PDF importing is not working well with
my old PDF files and those I have downloaded from Google Book. I
believe the PDF file should have went through the OCR process.

Importing RIS format worked well but it has limited item types and
more importantly it cannot "grab" references from OPAC or databases.
Also unlike Zotero which is an add-on software, you need to run a
separate application (Mendeley Desktop) in your computer. It could be
cumbersome. But I believe there are those social networking features
we need to look up further.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Peter Bae,
University at Albany
518-442-3617

swatki

Feb 27, 2009, 4:21:12 PM2/27/09
to zotero-ev...@googlegroups.com
I have only looked at the screenshots in their "tour".

page 7 of the tour shows them grabbing info from a database and Google. pages 6-9 show them working on the website rather than in the desktop app.

I guess you'd have to have a network connection to use their online features, unlike Zotero where the data is local.

--scott

Trevor

Feb 27, 2009, 8:07:32 PM2/27/09
to Zotero Evangelists
They are doing some interesting things. From what I have seen the
biggest difference is that it's strictly a platform for storing
articles and papers. That works fine for many folks in the sciences
but not so much for other types of scholars.