patches for better BibTeX support and fix a few Linux Bugs

Patrick Wagstrom

Nov 29, 2006, 5:00:58 PM11/29/06
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I first sent this to just dev@zotero and not the whole list.  Here's hoping some other folks find this helpful.

--Original Message --

I have to apologize as this patch covers a multitude of issues, but they had been building up since before the SVN archive was made public, thus I couldn't diff against the most current versions.  Anyway, here's my patch and a description of what it does:

1. adds the conference paper item type (currently only exported to BibTeX as inproceedings)
2. Fixes bug with editor names in BibTeX export
3. Provides more intelligent naming for entities in BibTeX exports.  Previously items would be named something like Wagstrom2006, Wagstrom2006-1, etc.  However, I noticed that this ordering could get changed around pretty easily in the export process, resulting in bad references in articles.  We can't really be having that now can we?  The keys are now take the first word of the title, stripping out a few common words.  For example, If I had a paper called "Zoteros impact on time to author scholarly papers", it would have a key of "wagstrom_zotero_2006", which is much more constant.
4. Allows viewing of attachments but not revealing of attachments in Linux.  This is mainly due to the fact that linux and unix have no common way to view/reveal files.  To view a file it just tries to open it in the current firefox instance.  Works pretty well for me.

Anyway, feedback is appreciated.

--Patrick

bibtexAndLinux.patch

tommct

Dec 15, 2006, 1:33:08 PM12/15/06
to zotero-dev
Patrick,

I am a patch newbie, but do not have the directory structure you
outline, nor do I have overlay.js.Is the directory structure different
for the developer version? How does one apply your patch with the
normal Zotero install?

Thanks,
Tom

> ------=_Part_42887_16472359.1164837658463

> ------=_Part_42887_16472359.1164837658463--

Dan Stillman

Dec 15, 2006, 2:02:48 PM12/15/06
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On 12/15/06 1:33 PM, tommct wrote:
> I am a patch newbie, but do not have the directory structure you
> outline, nor do I have overlay.js.Is the directory structure different
> for the developer version? How does one apply your patch with the
> normal Zotero install?

In a normal install, most of the files are packed within zotero.jar in
the chrome directory. Please see
http://dev.zotero.org/docs/modifying_zotero_files for instructions on
unpacking zotero.jar.

By the way, I've applied most of Patrick's patch (or similar changes
that address the same issues) on the branch (thanks Patrick), and we'll
be releasing a new beta version from this branch within the next day or
two, so it might be easiest to wait.

Also, with the exception of new translators or styles, we highly
recommend not applying patches with SQL changes to your *.sql files or
your DB before they hit the branch if you care about your data, since
you risk rendering Zotero unusable on upgrade. (For example, if we had
already added an itemTypeID 33 with different fields and assign the
submitted one to a different ID, any items you've created with that ID
will be messed up when you upgrade, possibly breaking the UI.) We'd ask
anyone submitting new item types to simply submit the item type and
field names and proper field order plus a patch for the properties file
with localized en-US strings. Once we commit it with an authoritative
ID, other people using SVN releases can start benefiting from the patch.

We'll also be adding custom item type functionality soon.

- Dan

tommct

Dec 17, 2006, 6:09:06 PM12/17/06
to zotero-dev
Thanks! I'll wait and see if that corrects things.

Tom