opencbm: Debian packages available

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 7, 2012, 8:29:05 AM1/7/12
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

this mail is just to inform all of you that there are now Debian
packages available for the latest Devel version of OpenCBM. These Debian
packages (which might also install on Debian base systems like Ubuntu -
please report your success and failures!) are now split into the
different versions (opencbm for generic files, opencbm-xum1541 for the
XUM1541/ZoomFloppy installation, opencbm-xu1541 for the XU1541
installation, opencbm-xa1541 for the XA1541/XM1541 installation). Thus,
by using opencbm-xum1541, every ZoomFloppy user should be able to get a
working installation very easily.

Installation instructions for integration into apt/aptitude/synaptics
are available at

http://debian.trikaliotis.net/

As it is integrated into the Debian packaging system, upgrades will be
available just by using the OS specific update mechanisms (apt/aptiude
or synaptics).

Any feedback is welcome!

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis http://opencbm.sf.net/
http://www.trikaliotis.net/ http://vice-emu.sf.net/

Nate Lawson

Jan 7, 2012, 12:45:06 PM1/7/12
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for doing this work.

Is there any way to roll a beta of the Windows binaries too?

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 8, 2012, 3:52:04 PM1/8/12
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nate,

* On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 09:45:06AM -0800 Nate Lawson wrote:
> Thanks for doing this work.
>
> Is there any way to roll a beta of the Windows binaries too?

yes, I will do it. I hope to be able to do it not later than next
weekend.

Larry Anderson

Jan 8, 2012, 4:50:11 PM1/8/12
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com

Which one contains OpenCBM, the VICE package? You have VICE, CC65 and
CenterIM listed

--
Larry Anderson
mailto:la...@larrymade.com

Larry Anderson

Jan 8, 2012, 5:28:28 PM1/8/12
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Opps, I see what I need to do, add the repositories... will try it now

Larry Anderson

Jan 8, 2012, 6:59:27 PM1/8/12
On 01/08/2012 02:28 PM, Larry Anderson wrote:

>> Which one contains OpenCBM, the VICE package? You have VICE, CC65 and
>> CenterIM listed
>>
> Opps, I see what I need to do, add the repositories... will try it now

Ok, lets see... I'm using Ubuntu Maverick Meercat BTW

Got the packages added in synaptic and found the only method the gpg key
took was dling the file and issuing
$ sudo apt-key add spiro.pgp
other methods didnt seem to work

in synaptic I listed the packages of spiro's repository and found all
the packages.
installation seemed to work no problem... made sure to include the
xu1541 and xum1541 packages

now I've hooked in the hardware and tried:
$ cbmctrl -@xum1541 detect
and I get the dreaded: xum1541 firmware version too low (6 < 7) please
update your xum1541 firmware

Definite progress, but now I need to update the zoomfloppy.

grabbed the xum1541cfg.tar.gz and the firmware binary from the windows
installer - set up in my work directory and upon execution of make i'm
getting:
main.c:33: fatal error: usb.h: No such file or directory
whereis doesn't seem to find it...

and i'm stuck - looking through old emails to see if theres a cluse
somewhere...

First Suggestion, add xum1541cfg into the debian packages... as it seems
an essential component to update the Zoomfloppy firmware

Larry Anderson

Jan 8, 2012, 8:38:58 PM1/8/12
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com

found I needed to install package libusb-dev
then I could do the make command...

ran the config...

./xum1541cfg update xum1541-ZOOMFLOPPY-v07.hex

seems to have updated... says I need to unplug USB to restart

$ cbmctrl -@xum1541 detect

SUCESS! 8: 1540 or 1541

next challenge is getting cbmctrl configured, I know I need to add a
config file with default=xum1541

$ sudo gedit /etc/opencbm.conf.d 00opencbm.conf

still getting /dev/cbm: permission denied\

ok found a german forum with the solution(?)
http://www.forum64.de/wbb3/board222-pc-bereich/board313-pc-bereich/board223-software/board229-linux/45037-opencbm-mit-2-6-36er-kernel/index2.html?s=746a21f42c02252a8a4ee9dd2986491b586be80d#post559281

add into /etc/udev/rules.d/45-opencbm.rules

these lines:

# Zoom floppy
SYSFS {idVendor} == "16d0", SYSFS {idProduct} == "0504", GROUP = "users"

between SUBSYSTEM and LABEL

Seems to already be in 45-opencbm-usb.rules

Adding the line at least removed the permission problem, but now im at:

$ cbmctrl status 8

gives me:
cbmctrl: /dev/cbm: No such file or directory

Any clues?

Tried a reboot in case it needed to recheck the devices, no dice...

Larry Anderson

Jan 9, 2012, 1:11:54 AM1/9/12
On 01/08/2012 05:38 PM, Larry Anderson wrote:

> $ cbmctrl status 8
>
> gives me:
> cbmctrl: /dev/cbm: No such file or directory
>
> Any clues?
>
> Tried a reboot in case it needed to recheck the devices, no dice...

Poking around if I do
$ modprobe cbm

I get Module cbm not found...

Found a reference here to something that sounds similar but not sure, as
this was from a package and not compiled

Ive also seen this in http://opencbm.trikaliotis.net/opencbm-9.html

"Runtime configuration

Most probably, you will want to add this to /etc/modules.conf to have
the driver loaded on demand: (the file is called /etc/conf.modules on
some older SuSE systems)

alias char-major-10-177 cbm
options cbm [options]
"

But dont see a conf.modules file, seeing how things in the Linux
structure are a bit more categorised in the file system is
/etc/modules.conf still the place to put such statements?

Well my brain is too tired to risk poking at system files right now, so
will take it up tomorrow sometime

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 10, 2012, 3:27:03 PM1/10/12
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello Larry,

* On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 03:59:27PM -0800 Larry Anderson wrote:

> First Suggestion, add xum1541cfg into the debian packages... as it
> seems an essential component to update the Zoomfloppy firmware

I will think about this suggestion. I am not sure, as I do not think
updating the firmware as something you do every day, though.

Any other opinions on this?

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 10, 2012, 3:36:14 PM1/10/12
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

BTW: Your initial mistake was to install *both* xu1541 and xum1541. (Do
you own a XU1541 device?) A possibly simpler solution might be to
uninstall the opencbm Debian packages again and installing *only* the
package opencbm-xum1541. This way, the xum1541 plugin is the default
one.

However, let's go through the details if you want to know about the
inner workings:

* On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 05:38:58PM -0800 Larry Anderson wrote:

> found I needed to install package libusb-dev
> then I could do the make command...

Yep, this is a build dependency.

> $ cbmctrl -@xum1541 detect
>
> SUCESS! 8: 1540 or 1541
>
> next challenge is getting cbmctrl configured,

Unfortunately, this is not possible "the debian way" yet. I still have
to read how to do this.

> $ sudo gedit /etc/opencbm.conf.d 00opencbm.conf

What is the contents of this file?

> still getting /dev/cbm: permission denied\

This /etc/opencbm.conf.d/ directory is not the actual configuration
file. The actual configuration file is /etc/opencbm.conf, which is
generated out of the files in /etc/opencbm.conf.d/

You have to execute

# /usr/lib/opencbm/plugin_helper_tools rebuild

in order for this change to take effect. (check the /etc/opencbm.conf
file before and afterwards).

This file is already there, you should not need it.

(I only ask myself why I have GROUP="cdrom" in my file, instead of
GROUP="users"? This might be worth it.

However, this is not the source of your problem. /dev/cbm is *only*
needed for the XA1541 and XM1541 adapters! Thus, cbmctrl is stil trying
to access the xa1541 plugin.

HTH,

Enemy

Jan 10, 2012, 3:38:02 PM1/10/12
to ZoomFloppy Users
> I will think about this suggestion. I am not sure, as I do not think
> updating the firmware as something you do every day, though.
>
> Any other opinions on this?

You surely don't update the firmware on a daily base but from my
personal experience it's really a hard task to identify the source of
the problem when your brandnew ZoomFloppy after delivery won't work
with the software and you have to find out later on that you received
a device with the most recent firmware that isn't supported by the
software that you can get everywhere. It really took some time until I
got things running the first day - remember the thread I started.

Greets,
Enemy

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 10, 2012, 3:41:49 PM1/10/12

* On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 10:11:54PM -0800 Larry Anderson wrote:

> Poking around if I do
> $ modprobe cbm
>
> I get Module cbm not found...

Right: The module cbm (cbm.ko) is only needed for the XA1541/XM1541, as
stated before.

You do not need an own module for the xu1541/xum1541 - only libusb is
needed, and that is already part of all essential distributions. That's
one of the bigger advantages of the USB based cables.

> Ive also seen this in http://opencbm.trikaliotis.net/opencbm-9.html
>
> "Runtime configuration

STOP HERE!

This documentation is old and has not been updated for the plugin
enabled OpenCBM (0.4.99.x). In fact, it is even outdated for the 0.4.0 -
0.4.2 variants of OpenCBM, as:

> Most probably, you will want to add this to /etc/modules.conf to
> have the driver loaded on demand: (the file is called
> /etc/conf.modules on some older SuSE systems)
>
> alias char-major-10-177 cbm
> options cbm [options]
> "

this is not needed for udev based distributions anymore. Even Debian
oldstable used udev, so, it is very dated.

> But dont see a conf.modules file, seeing how things in the Linux
> structure are a bit more categorised in the file system is
> /etc/modules.conf still the place to put such statements?

No, don't do this!

I am sorry for this inconvenience. I will try to update the
documentation.

Nate Lawson

Jan 10, 2012, 4:15:07 PM1/10/12
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com

I think it's worth including with the opencbm-xum1541 distribution. It is only a few files to compile and the only dependency is libusb, which is already required for the xum1541.

Most new features we add will require a firmware upgrade. I already have code to integrate from Tommy Winkler for S3 and other support which will require an upgrade. I expect 1-2 upgrades a year will be the norm, absent any bugfixes.

-Nate

wuffe

Jan 10, 2012, 5:40:03 PM1/10/12
to ZoomFloppy Users
On Jan 10, 9:27 pm, Spiro Trikaliotis <an-zoomfloppy-
us...@spiro.trikaliotis.net> wrote:
> Hello Larry,
>
> * On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 03:59:27PM -0800 Larry Anderson wrote:
>
> > First Suggestion, add xum1541cfg into the debian packages... as it
> > seems an essential component to update the Zoomfloppy firmware
>
> I will think about this suggestion. I am not sure, as I do not think
> updating the firmware as something you do every day, though.
>
> Any other opinions on this?

Yes please do include it in the package

I've recently found myself
in a sort of limbo - trying to figure our what to download and from
where - in order to upgrade a zoomfloppy unit that for some reason
was
shipped with v6 long after v7 was released

/Uffe

Jim Brain

Jan 10, 2012, 7:45:01 PM1/10/12
On 1/10/2012 4:40 PM, wuffe wrote:
> Yes please do include it in the package
>
> I've recently found myself
> in a sort of limbo - trying to figure our what to download and from
> where - in order to upgrade a zoomfloppy unit that for some reason
> was
> shipped with v6 long after v7 was released
>
> /Uffe
That would be manufacturer error: I no doubt had a few v6 units in the
box when I started doing v7 units and they got buried.

--
Jim Brain
br...@jbrain.com

wuffe

Jan 11, 2012, 3:21:16 AM1/11/12
to ZoomFloppy Users
Hi Jim,

On Jan 11, 1:45 am, Jim Brain <br...@jbrain.com> wrote:
> On 1/10/2012 4:40 PM, wuffe wrote:> Yes please do include it in the package
>
> > I've recently found myself
> > in a sort of limbo - trying to figure our what to download and from
> > where - in order to upgrade a zoomfloppy unit that for some reason
> > was
> > shipped with v6 long after v7 was released
>
> That would be manufacturer error: I no doubt had a few v6 units in the
> box when I started doing v7 units and they got buried.

Once I found the right software the firmware upgrade was running swift
and smooth.

But finding the right software (and website) was the problem - and I
believe that it is because of the "opensourceed" nature and approach
of zoomfloppy and its components - multiple individuals and/or
companies that each contribute their part.
Please understand me correct I think that the approach is great - but
it introduces some gaps where information is hard to find or does not
exist

If you have a look at your product info for ZoomFloppy here:
http://www.go4retro.com/products/zoomfloppy/
Being a unix (linux) user I find no exact link on the page or in the
PDF that points me to go to Nate's website for the opencbm sources and
firmware sources for linux.
At that time - as a first time user of zoomfloppy (on linux) took me
some time to find the firmware source - that's why I think that it
would be a great idea to include the firmware upgrade stuff in the
package as well.

/Uffe :-)

/Uffe

/Uffe

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 27, 2012, 4:38:44 PM1/27/12

* On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 09:52:04PM +0100 I wrote:
> Hello Nate,
>
> * On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 09:45:06AM -0800 Nate Lawson wrote:
> > Thanks for doing this work.
> >
> > Is there any way to roll a beta of the Windows binaries too?
>
> yes, I will do it. I hope to be able to do it not later than next
> weekend.

I did not hold my own deadline. Anyway, it is done now, cf.

http://www.trikaliotis.net/opencbm-alpha

Note that the documentation is not yet update, though. However, that web
page should be correct and complete.

Enemy

Jan 28, 2012, 8:34:29 PM1/28/12
to ZoomFloppy Users