bzip2 compression, anyone ?

dev...@web.de

Dec 29, 2007, 12:21:21 PM12/29/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi !

anybody there being interested in having bzip2 compression in zfs-fuse ? (maybe for demonstration, academical purpose or just for fun)

i was curious how this could be done and i have taken a look at lzo patch and into bzip2 sources and programming manual.

from my programming-rookie perspective, it looks sort of straightforward to implement bzip2 compression for zfs-fuse. including a handful of files into the build process and then use utility functions BZ2_bzBuffToBuffCompress and BZ2_bzBuffToBuffDecompress appropriately.

maybe some more skilled person can tell if this is correct ?

unfortunately, this is not a matter of "hack this in one evening" project for me, but maybe there are others interested in this !?

bzip2 sources/docs are here:
http://www.bzip.org/1.0.4/bzip2-1.0.4.tar.gz
http://www.bzip.org/docs.html

i have made a stripped archive containing that what`s absolutely necessary from my point of view:
http://www.computerkeek.de/projects/zfs-fuse/bzip2-1.0.4-mini.tar.gz

apparently codesize seems to be similar to minilzo.

regards
roland
Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 30 Tage

Jordan Mendler

Jan 3, 2008, 4:56:39 AM1/3/08
to zfs-fuse
If anyone decides to add this, there is also a compression tool called
pbzip2 (http://compression.ca/pbzip2/). It does parallel bzip2ing and
is great for large files on SMP machines. Not sure if it would be of
benefit at the file system level, but could be worth a look.

Jordan