View, navigate snapshots

Peter Smith

Jun 22, 2007, 3:59:48 PM6/22/07
to zfs-fuse
I know that the facility to view/navigate snapshots is still to be
implemented, as the STATUS file says.
For me this is a particularly important facility and I just want to
ask/urge/plead that we get this facility as soon as possible.
Having said that I must record my appreciation for the great work
being done to make this important file system available in Linux.

Ricardo Correia

Jun 22, 2007, 5:03:55 PM6/22/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com, Peter Smith
Hi Peter,

I don't know if you're aware of this, but there is a temporary workaround:

You can use "zfs clone" to clone a snapshot. This will create a read/write
filesystem with the same contents as the snapshot, and you'll be able to
navigate the snapshot and read all the files.

I know this is only a workaround, but maybe it'll work for you?

Regards,
Ricardo Correia

Peter Smith

Jun 22, 2007, 5:55:23 PM6/22/07
to zfs-fuse
Hi Ricardo,
I have just studied the documentation and it seems that it will indeed
work for me. I had assumed this would have a high cost but on re-
reading the documentation it would seem the cost is low.
So shall test it it.
Thanks for the pointer,
Peter.