Oracle restricting access to source code. Now what?

Jack Sparrow

Aug 13, 2010, 6:56:05 PM8/13/10
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
I just read that Oracle is killing off OpenSolaris.[1] Of great
interest was this sentence:

We will no longer
distribute source code for the entirety of the Solaris operating
system in real-time while it is developed, on a nightly basis.

How will this affect zfs-fuse? Does this mean that the public
repository with go away or won't be updated until there's a Solaris
release? It would really suck if we couldn't get updates from
upstream.

1. http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.solaris.opensolaris.general/52752

sgheeren

Aug 13, 2010, 7:03:06 PM8/13/10
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
First response: OUCH!

They used the 'word' FUD in there. Isn't that awkwardly informal? I
still an inkling of doubt left as to the source of this news.

Thanks for keeping us posted
Seth

Emmanuel Anne

Aug 13, 2010, 7:10:10 PM8/13/10
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
It's on slashdot too, and was confirmed by an oracle employee.
But don't know yet if that includes the onnv-gate repository.
Time will tell...

But anyway the news said also they would continue to distribute source, but later, after a binary release has been made. It's still better than nothing !

2010/8/14 sgheeren <sghe...@hotmail.com>

zfs-fuse git repository : http://rainemu.swishparty.co.uk/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=zfs;a=summary

Daniel Smedegaard Buus

Aug 14, 2010, 6:01:23 AM8/14/10
to zfs-fuse
This is tragic... I just read on this Friday a rant from someone
dissing the CEO of Oracle for completely missing the whole point that
made Sun the power that it is today: An open (source) power with an
immense community of foot soldiers backing it. He was actually
worrying about if the future of osol, as we hadn't seen any public
builds since Nevada/134. Seems he was right.

It seems that the "we" that is referred to in the memo is the old
"we", i.e. the Sun "we", and not this Oracle bullshit that is "we want
to be Microsoft, too, even if they suck, cause they're filthy rich".
"We have the leading
share" - no, Sun did, and you bought it. "We have a brand that stands
for innovation, quality, security, and trust" - no, you have a brand
that stands for overly complicated though extremely advanced
proprietary software, Sun had the other thing you were talking abut...
Etc...

For me, this is doubly tragic, in that it sucks for us, and surely, it
will suck for Oracle in the long run.

Jesus Christ, the ones who worried about MySQL now seem like prophets.
I have a feeling this won't end good.

sgheeren

Aug 14, 2010, 7:08:48 AM8/14/10
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On 08/14/2010 12:01 PM, Daniel Smedegaard Buus wrote:
> [...] no, Sun did, and you bought it. "We have a brand that stands

> for innovation, quality, security, and trust" - no, you have a brand
> that stands for overly complicated though extremely advanced
> proprietary software, Sun had the other thing you were talking abut...

+1

> I have a feeling this won't end good.

I feel a forkfest of years coming up. No winners, no (big) losers. And
in the end a 'Canonical' - like party will profit by marketing something
viable that has emerged from the heaps, made by volunteers.

Stefan de Konink

Aug 14, 2010, 6:27:29 AM8/14/10
to zfs-fuse
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010, Daniel Smedegaard Buus wrote:

> Jesus Christ, the ones who worried about MySQL now seem like prophets.
> I have a feeling this won't end good.

Come on, it is not /that/ bad.

1) There are better open source databases than MySQL and Oracle together.
2) New filesystems are being developed, ZFS was/is a super duper well
designed and intergrated filesystem. But we all know that has also some
major flaws.
3) Regarding to Java as the leading cross platform code, I doubt anyone
will disagree that Python is doing a better job.
4) The IP; so I truly wonder if some people got really annoyed what it
would cost to buy out Oracle theirselves. [Because they can]

Stefan

Gavin Chappell

Aug 18, 2010, 1:46:10 PM8/18/10
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Not sure whether this is very relevant to this topic/list, but I came across it today so thought I'd share:

-Gavin

Emmanuel Anne

Aug 18, 2010, 4:49:19 PM8/18/10
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Well still 2 patches committed to onnv-gate today, so for now everything is still ok !

Gavin Chappell

Aug 19, 2010, 9:53:33 AM8/19/10
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com

Emmanuel Anne

Aug 19, 2010, 10:43:09 AM8/19/10
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
And now we get Illumos then ?
Anyway we are still far from being in sync with onnv for now.

But yes it could become a problem, even if it's not an immediate problem.