Simple I/O scheduler

CLP

Feb 5, 2010, 12:04:12 PM2/5/10
to Zen-Kernel
Where can I find more information about the Simple I/O scheduler
included in the latest Zen release?
The only information I could find is in the comments section in sio-
iosched.c and was wondering if this scheduler performs better in
certain circumstances (e.g. deadline works great with reiserfs, and
sio is based on deadline).
Thx

Miguel Botón

Feb 8, 2010, 7:01:04 PM2/8/10
to Zen-Kernel
Hi.

I'm the author of the Simple I/O scheduler.

SIO is based on the deadline scheduler but it's more like a mix
between no-op and deadline.
In other words, SIO is like a lighter version of deadline but it
doesn't do any kind of sorting, so it's aimed mainly for random-access
devices (like SSD hard disks) where request sorting is no needed (as
any sector can be accesed in a constant time, regardless of its
physical location).

SIO is just an experiment made for fun so don't expect great results
(but hey, who knows...).

Greetings,
Miguel Botón.