About shortcuts

1 view
Message has been deleted

meho_r

Apr 10, 2009, 8:44:01 AM4/10/09
to zekr
Salaam

I've been working on a project that included verses from both the
Qur'an and the Bible so I used Zekr and Xiphos for the purpose. I
noticed a nice feature in Xiphos that I would like to ask if it is
possible to implement in Zekr too. I know there were discussion about
shortcuts and there were propositions in that regard, but I'll mention
it again.

When you like to find, e.g., Matthew 5:17 in Xiphos, you do the
following:

1. Ctrl+L which functions exactly as in Firefox: it move the focus to
Navigation Toolbar (in Firefox: Address bar in which you simply enter
url). I think this may be the best shortcut for the purpose.

2. Since the cursor is positioned in Navigation Toolbar, only thing
you have to do is to enter "ma 5:17" which automatically brings you to
"Matthew 5:17".

So, there are two things:

1. Basic: Is it possible to implement Ctrl+L shortcut to bring you in
"Sura" frame at the top of Zekr window so you can enter sura number
(which is automatically great help to navigate further using tab-key,
so you don't have to click every time)?

2. A little bit more complex: Is it possible to expand previously
mentioned so you can type Ctrl+L which brings up "Text navigation
mode" (like Address bar in Firefox) in which you type something like
"2:17" or "ba 17" or "baq 17" and the Zekr automatically recognize it
and brings you to the 17th ayah of surah Al-Baqara? This will be great
improvement since you have to find a reference sometimes by number of
sura and sometimes by its name.

What are your thoughts about this?

meho_r

May 18, 2009, 8:22:22 PM5/18/09
to zekr
OK, so no thoughts at all :)) Mohsen, are you aware of Xiphos
(previously GnomeSword)? What do you think of it?

Mohsen Saboorian

May 19, 2009, 8:06:15 AM5/19/09
to ze...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I installed this software when sawing your first email and tested what you said. It makes navigation really easy. We need some more work on our current navigation:
1. a new popup dialog for more fast navigation
2. inline search on sura lists (when seeing sura list in tree mode)
3. a smart nav box like what you mentioned, e.g.12:14, yus:14, ysf:14 to navigate to sura Yusof, aya 14.

Thanks,
Mohsen.