Improving the online flash reciter

Malek

Aug 24, 2008, 5:39:44 AM8/24/08
to zekr
Assalamou alaykum,

I would like to thank you and congratulate you about this great
project.

I'm using Zekr in Ubuntu and Windows, and it works flawlessly.

Sometimes, when using the online reciter, I notice a "lag" between the
Ayat, this is mainly caused by my slow connection, but I noticed that
the flash plugin stop downloading once it begin the recitation of the
Aya.

I mean, the current flash online reader doesn't "download" and recite
in the same time.

Having a coding background, I think that implementing a new reciter
that work continuously (reading Aya(n) and downloading Aya(n+1) in the
same time) would be possible. But I'm not sure about it.

I would like to contribute to this project, please if you think this
is possible, or if you have any suggestion or help, let me know.

I have no idea where to start for the moment.

Thank you, and I'm looking forward for your answers

Mohsen Saboorian

Aug 24, 2008, 11:29:37 AM8/24/08
to ze...@googlegroups.com
Wa Alaykomassalam,

> Sometimes, when using the online reciter, I notice a "lag" between the
> Ayat, this is mainly caused by my slow connection, but I noticed that
> the flash plugin stop downloading once it begin the recitation of the
> Aya.
>
> I mean, the current flash online reader doesn't "download" and recite
> in the same time.
>
> Having a coding background, I think that implementing a new reciter
> that work continuously (reading Aya(n) and downloading Aya(n+1) in the
> same time) would be possible. But I'm not sure about it.
>
> I would like to contribute to this project, please if you think this
> is possible, or if you have any suggestion or help, let me know.
>
> I have no idea where to start for the moment.
>
> Thank you, and I'm looking forward for your answers

Actually I had a similar idea in my mind, but it's postponed mainly
because of difficulties in state management for background players,
plus a number of bugs in jw mp3 player.

We use flash player and it uses browsers cache to save downloaded
playing audio files, so once an mp3 file is fully downloaded
(playerd), the next time you can listen it more fast, as far as your
browser cache is not cleaned. We should then use one or two background
flash players, which are not shown in the page. There is however a
problem with this approach which affects on for not so fast
connections (< 256kbps DSLs). It makes current download too slow,
because of another simultaneous download.

The current approach is to be replaced by another pure Java approach
(probably in version 0.8.0), so there is no much interest in working
on it.

Managing state changing between JavaScript, Java, and Flash is a real
nightmare. I made some efforts before 0.7.0 beta 2 for supporting
repeating an aya several times. Although it worked (slightly buggy) in
IE, it never worked in Mozilla.

Mohsen.

Hamid Zarrabi-Zadeh

Sep 1, 2008, 2:41:30 AM9/1/08
to ze...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dear Mohsen,

I just implemented a simple buffering scheme to remove the annoying lags between ayas using a hidden falsh player. The state management is based on the following two simple rules: 1) whenever the main player starts playing an aya, the hidden player starts loading the next aya in background; and 2) whenever the main player starts loading an aya, it stops all background activities. The second rule indeed resolves the slow-down problem you mentioned in your previous email.

The new implementation is available at tanzil.info. I am wondering if this simple buffering scheme can be ported to zekr 7.0 as well as it would be very helpful specially for those who are using zekr's online recitations during the holy Ramadan.

Regards,
--Hamid

Mohsen Saboorian

Sep 2, 2008, 2:03:32 PM9/2/08
to ze...@googlegroups.com
Salaam,

Nice work on Tanzil. I really appreciate you work on pre-fetching new
ayas. It works perfectly on my 128kb connection with a high quality
recitation. The two rules you mention seems reasonable.

I'll look at the implementation details later inshaAllah, and check if
it can be easily ported to Zekr.

Regards,
Mohsen.