[BUG?] Find / Replace

Ray Walsh

Aug 1, 2010, 8:55:49 PM8/1/10
to yWriter
I've found several posts that deal with this topic, but nothing that
covers my issue.

I successfully imported a WIP and have begun the long process of
editing some 30+ scenes. As a result of my earlier carelessness, these
all have two spaces after each sentence. Using Crtl+H (Find/Replace) I
can find each occurrence of the double space. I set the "Replace"
field to a single space.

When I press "Replace", yWriter correctly replaces the selected text.
When I press "Replace All", nothing happens. The "found" text remains
highlighted.

Is this a BUG or am I doing something wrong?

ivory...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2010, 10:48:36 AM8/2/10
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
I'm confused (not about your bug). Is it no longer appropriate to put two spaces after a sentence?

Jennifer Brinn

Aug 2, 2010, 10:52:10 AM8/2/10
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 10:48 AM, <ivory...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm confused (not about your bug).  Is it no longer appropriate to put two spaces after a sentence?

In some circumstances, it isn't. I know I have to do a search-replace
on my stuff at work, because their style guide says no. It's an
ingrained habit--I can't NOT type two periods.

Some places that only work in electronic copy don't do it either.

I maintain the two spaces though. that's just me. :)

Jennifer

Nita Sweeney

Aug 2, 2010, 11:02:52 AM8/2/10
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Dear IvoryJohn13:

IMHO, one space is correct for manuscripts. The two spaces came from
a previous era when we used typewriters and dot matrix printers and
nonproportional fonts and two spaces after a period made the
documents much easier to read. Nowadays proportional fonts will
adjust the space after the period anyway, making it unnecessary to
use two spaces. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing

And here's the MLA ruling on the issue - one space.
http://www.mla.org/style_faq3

Okay. Having said that, there is still some controversy over the
issue. A recent poll by literary agent Nathan Bransford found only a
slight majority of his readers in the one space camp:
http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2009/01/can-i-get-ruling-one-or-two-spaces.html

Only the APA publication manual seems to want two spaces, but it
recognizes that:

>"the usual convention for published works remains one space after
>each period, and indeed the decision regarding whether to include
>one space or two rests, in the end, with the publication designer. . . ."

http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2009/07/on-two-spaces-following-a-period.html

So, I'm in the one space camp.

If you've put two spaces in, it's easy to do a universal find and
replace. Just search for ".[space][space]" and replace it with
".[space]" It might take a little while, however for those of you
(like myself) who learned to automatically hit the space bar twice
after a period, to retrain yourselves to only hit it once. It did me anyway.

all best,

Nita

ivory...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2010, 12:03:15 PM8/2/10
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Wow. I had no idea I was dating myself. I learned on a manual typewriter. (Actually paper and pencil typed onto mimeograph paper.) I will have to stop cursing my blog for converting it to a single space.

Simon Haynes

Aug 3, 2010, 12:38:59 AM8/3/10
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

ivory...@gmail.com wrote:

> Wow. I had no idea I was dating myself. I learned on a manual typewriter. (Actually paper and pencil typed onto mimeograph paper.) I will have to stop cursing my blog for converting it to a single space.

Cue yorkshire accent, Typewriter? We used to DREAM of using a typewriter, you were lucky, etc

;-)

Cheers
Simon
--